Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Jim's Fake Ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jim's Fake Ford

There's quite few Bom builds out there already, so I figure I'd post a “reverse” build, seeing as the rig's already been test run and share some observations that might be useful to those considering a Bom.

The glamour shot: I liked the box top art so kept pretty close to it. This thing REALLY looks like a late 80's Ranger dunnit?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKRZc4Jgl74

The chrome bits, rearviews, door handles were painted matt black as were the grill inlets.

I thought the cage design was cool.

My SSD steel wheels and after-market tires hadn't arrived, so ran the stock ones mounted on plastic beadlocks from my Capra build. G-Made's wheels require the tires to be glued on... and that just doesn't happen in Jim's garage

Test drive was at Markham Park's crawler course. https://markhampark.com/rc-truck-and-crawler-course/
If you're ever in the area it's definitely work a trip.

We had the wife's TRX4 Sport out too. Bom's driver's side rear view lasted about 15 mins and the passenger side maybe another 10.... Not to worry though, I used double sided tape, so they're still intact, just the tape gave way. BTW the manual has you screwing the mirrors on which probably ain't a good idea.

One of the tings that attracted me to the BOM was the rear suspension setup. Yeah, I know it doesn't perform any better (maybe worse?) than a conventional one, but it's soooo cool (well, at least I think so ). I went with the upgraded metal bellcranks and also installed the optional anti-sway bar (used the medium one initially). I noticed the torquing effect at a few points, so for the next outing have increased the rear shocks' spring load considerably and installed the thickest of the 3 sway bars in the upgrade kit.

The kit went together well with one exception (more on that below) and I do enjoy painting and detailing the body, but why-o-why can't they send it PRE-CUT??? If you're listening G-Made, I would gladly pay a little extra for bodies that don't require trimming.

So here's my only real gripe with the kit: The pre-drilled hole in the support for the motor (part GM60074), a pretty important piece, you'll agree, was over size and didn't allow the 3mm screw to bite. The solution was to drill the frame rail out and install a 3.5mm self tapper I had laying around.

I kind'a thought the front shock towers were too flexy, so cobbled-up this brace from some 3mm all-thread and cap nuts. Really firmed things up.

A word of encouragement for those poor apartment dwelling souls like me that aren't allowed to spray paint. Regular old latex house paint works pretty well, it just takes 4 - 5 coats to get good coverage. Pro-tip: when you clean the inside of the body, use the rough side of your kitchen sponge to LIGHTLY roughen the surface. The scruffing doesn't show on the outside and the paint adheres better. And don't tell your wife, of course

Oh, and a last suggestion for those as dyslexic as me, I found labelling the suspension rods avoids major grief later when you go to instal them.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 05-05-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding video
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default New shoes

Upgraded to SSD's steel beadlocks and Hyrax clone rubber. Decided to leave rearview mirrors off.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Jim's Fake Ford

That looks really nice man, love the steel slots!!!
I have heard the stock BOM tires are actually pretty decent.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
That looks really nice man, love the steel slots!!!
I have heard the stock BOM tires are actually pretty decent.
Thanks, man. The stock tires worked fine on our crawler course, I was just looking to up the performance a bit.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #5

Sweet tip with the paint thats a cool idea. Trucks looking great i put the stock wheels/tires from my bom on my daughters trx4 and it climbs extremely well on loose dirt. Never tried them on my bom.
K22hsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22hsct View Post
Sweet tip with the paint thats a cool idea. Trucks looking great i put the stock wheels/tires from my bom on my daughters trx4 and it climbs extremely well on loose dirt. Never tried them on my bom.
Thanks, latex is super cheap and comes in min. 8 oz. cans, so you can even mix up custom colors for little $$$. They closed the crawler course at Markham Park (again) cause of the virus, so it'll be a while till I get to really test the mods to the Bom and its new shoes.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks great... latex who woulda known lol? I like the body post strengthening mod. Gonna prob steal that for my Stampede. Nice work with everything.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Looks great... latex who woulda known lol? I like the body post strengthening mod. Gonna prob steal that for my Stampede. Nice work with everything.
Great, happy to share, that’s what the forum is all about!

Jim's Fake Ford - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jim's 1980 Ford Bronco (evolution of a rock crawler) O.o Fungi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-30-2015 10:25 AM
Jim's 34 Ford "Backwoods Towing & Recovery" O.o Fungi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 36 10-23-2014 09:18 AM
Jim's 6x6! O.o Fungi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 10 07-02-2014 06:31 PM
Jim's 48 Ford Tow Truck Fungi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 10 12-16-2013 09:21 PM