Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Dragon Slayer GOM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Project Dragon Slayer GOM

So, I got to work laying up some templates today and playing around with different configurations for the rear side panels on the GOM. I kept my laptop open so I could keep scoping out pics of Campbell's 1:1 rig. It's definitely going to take some "artistic license" and interpretation to create panels that give the GOM a more Dragon Slayer feel. The cage design of the GOM and shock locations won't allow for a full blown duplication. But, once it's complete and in the Black and Green Monster livery, I don't think there will be any denying the resemblance. (solid front axle vs IFS not withstanding)

I ended up bringing the panel forward to the rear, vertical pillar of the side window. I also made them in one piece to fill that middle void that the GOM panels leave, and that does not exist on Campbell's 1:1. (This is also where the exhaust exits will reside per Campbell's rig). Lastly, I ditched the kicked up rear number plate area in favor of following the cage line - also a nod to the 1:1. Fabricating this panel was more difficult than I initially suspected just due to the geometry and bends. All in all, I'm pleased with this first version. I still need to clean up some edges and clean up some of the radius's. I won't be completely sold until I can see both sides installed and get a look at it from a number of angles.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project Dragon Slayer GOM

I got the 2 rear panels and passenger door panel complete. Still need to do the driver's door panel, and I may revise the roof panel again. I'm definitely liking the rear panels.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Waiting on the GOM interior, seats, and some other stuff for the Dragon Slayer cabin. I really liked this mesh pass through on the 1:1, so I made a bulkhead out of ABS and used stainless mesh insert to mimic it as closely as possible. I also plan on going single seat in the GOM just like the real rig. it's going to require bending up some more aluminum to make what would be the passenger seat area look more like Campbell's 1:1 rig.

I also utilized some UDR radiators for "cooling" duties. Again, had to use a bit of license here. The radiator on Campbell's rig seem to sit vertically. The GOM cage was not going to allow that without some extensive cutting and hacking. I'm waiting to mount it until I get the rear chase light installed. I want it to sit up as close as possible to that.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I like it! I need to do some work on my GOM. I'm thinking of chopping the fins so that it's flush with the cage lines. I really need to get mine out for a good run again, but I bent my rear axle last time I went out, and I haven't gotten around to installing the replacement yet.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks soze! I've liked the looks of the GOM from the first time I saw it. I don't run my other 2.2's much any more, but I'm glad I finally scored one of these bad boys. (it was too good a deal to pass up) Having fun with this project, but can't wait to actually run this thing and see what she'll do!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Mike it is looking great and nice work on the panel fab that is a tough area todo in the rear!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndog Racing View Post
Mike it is looking great and nice work on the panel fab that is a tough area todo in the rear!

Thanks Brandon - That means a lot to me coming from you!

I appreciate you helping me out with the hood. I just could not get the dimension I wanted out of it. I set your hood on it yesterday and the fitment and look is killer! Thanks again for turning it around so quickly and for the seasoning! I rubbed it on to a steak this morning that I'm gonna grill up tonight!
Old 02-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Awesome man keep me posted!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #9

Huge fan of the Campbell's and was bummed to see Bailey get taken out of the lead at KOH this year by a water pump pulley of all things!

Awesome job on this! I'll be following along.

Biggest reason I bought a bomber was due to how big of a fan I am of KOH, and Randy's a pretty cool dude!

I would buy a Campbell RC vehicle (Gawd I wish I could afford a 1:1!) in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Cocamper; 02-28-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: No need to cross post, guy had posted the build on here too...
Cocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocamper View Post
Huge fan of the Campbell's and was bummed to see Bailey get taken out of the lead at KOH this year by a water pump pulley of all things!

Awesome job on this! I'll be following along.

Biggest reason I bought a bomber was due to how big of a fan I am of KOH, and Randy's a pretty cool dude!

I would buy a Campbell RC vehicle (Gawd I wish I could afford a 1:1!) in a heartbeat.
No doubt - was a bummer for Bailey. It seems it’s always some small component like that. RC version will have to do for me until I win the lottery!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Finally got time to make some more progress on the "Dragon Slayer" GOM. Interior is pretty well wrapped up. Pleased with how the aluminum console area turned out. After reviewing a bunch of different driver options, I decided to go a bit whimsical with Wild Willy. He fits perfectly in this interior. So much so that I gotta think G-Made had that in mind. I did bring the seat forward about 1/4" over the factory marked holes in the floor plan. This allows the seat to clear the rear bulkhead I made for the cage. The other benefit is it allows Willy's feet to rest squarely on the front kick panel of the interior versus dangling mid-air. Still a ways to go, but it's been a fun project so far!
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Lots of nice details here!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thank you Szczerba!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Forgot to ask. How did you make up the rear panels? Looks like single piece bent up? I love the look.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This is coming along VERY nicely...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Forgot to ask. How did you make up the rear panels? Looks like single piece bent up? I love the look.
Yep - I used a single piece as I wanted it to look seamless.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
This is coming along VERY nicely...
Thanks durok. Appreciate it!

Ironically, I sold the Baja Rey TT build to a guy that happens to know the Campbells. He screen shot me some texts he sent them about this build and they’re diggin it. I asked him if they’d be willing to sign it when it was done and they were totally down. “Small world” stuff I guess, but pretty darn cool!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Waiting for the weather to warm up to spray the aluminum panels I made for Project Dragon Slayer. Also waiting on the sponsorship decals. In the meantime, I went ahead and sprayed up the lexan panels for runners I can beat on without cringing. Hard to tell since it was overcast, but there's a real nice pearl I laid in with the bright green. I still have some other little details to wrap up, but I got a chance to shake her down pretty quick. Fun little rig, but as expected, it just eats up everything on my backyard course. No worries though, I've got some real big stuff about 20 mins up the road where I can let'r stretch her legs.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

tempted to sell my enduro and grab a GROM. there has been a sort of resurgence lately?

dragonslayer is looking incredible, GREAT work on those panels! great details on the interior too. the harness looks like the real deal.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
tempted to sell my enduro and grab a GROM. there has been a sort of resurgence lately?

dragonslayer is looking incredible, GREAT work on those panels! great details on the interior too. the harness looks like the real deal.

Thanks Shinchu! It's definitely a fun rig and something you don't see out on the trails very often.

Project Dragon Slayer GOM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cambpell Racing Dragon Slayer nsimps Axial Yeti 79 04-05-2018 01:51 PM
EmeryworX yeti XL dragon slayer chassis tuner Axial Yeti XL 9 06-19-2017 12:28 PM
Project Red Dragon. kyle_l Axial Wraith 1 07-23-2011 10:09 PM