Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: BOMs Away - GS02F TC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default BOMs Away - GS02F TC

I have always been a fan of Gmade trucks. I had been wanting a BOM, then when the Buffalo came out with the GS02F chassis and anti-torque transmission, I just about bought one of those, but I didn't really want another SUV body style. When I saw the GM57011 BOM with the GS02F underpinnings, I had to have one. I ordered directly from Junfac and they shipped free to Colorado -it got here in 4 days!

If you are familiar with the Buffalo, there is not much difference here except for the rear cantilever suspension. I had read that some people dont like the torque roll of the BOM, but the TC transmission completely eliminates that.

Fender wells are nice. Fan mount is a nice feature too.

Two speeds shifts perfectly, though I will rarely use it. Although there is definitely a big difference between high and low gears. Could be very useful if you aren't running a sensored motor.

My rig is pretty much stock except for some aluminum bling

Ive had a lot of fun heavily modifying my Sawback and Komodo to perform the way I want. But in my initial tests, this BOM doesn't seem to need much....

Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: BOMs Away - GS02F TC

I'm really thinking about getting one of these in the near future. It looks great and I've heard a lot of good things about the chassis...
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

So we have a BOM with the Buffalo trans and cantilever transmission in a kit?

Sounds like a smart idea. You have painted it up nicely OP, it’s a good looking rig

Edit: that'd be cantilevered suspension, not transmission.

Last edited by smog; 04-06-2021 at 05:47 PM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice job, Shape_Shifter, really dig the paint scheme and the scale details!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:55 AM   #5

I was sad that the day after my GS02 BOM came in, they announced the GS02F BOM. Still, absolutely love my danger ranger and can only imagine how much improvement the F chassis is

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
FJ60ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
So we have a BOM with the Buffalo trans and cantilever transmission in a kit?

Sounds like a smart idea. You have painted it up nicely OP, it’s a good looking rig
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Nice job, Shape_Shifter, really dig the paint scheme and the scale details!
Thanks guys. These are always fun builds.

I finally took it out to break it in and get it dirty. It has a tendency to roll when you don't think it should roll. I have 5 oz of lead in each wheel so it isn't top heavy. Do the first gen BOMs do that?
Old 04-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
Thanks guys. These are always fun builds.

I finally took it out to break it in and get it dirty. It has a tendency to roll when you don't think it should roll. I have 5 oz of lead in each wheel so it isn't top heavy. Do the first gen BOMs do that?
Yes. I've had mine outcrawl a lot of rigs on some tough terrain just to roll on flat ground.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
FJ60ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Man, that's excellent. My old BOM was the best performing truck I had. Didn't know they released a GS02F version.

Do they include a rear crossmember and axle bits to mount the shocks upright/at an angle? My truck wheeled much better with this setup.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Man, that's excellent. My old BOM was the best performing truck I had. Didn't know they released a GS02F version.

Do they include a rear crossmember and axle bits to mount the shocks upright/at an angle? My truck wheeled much better with this setup.
Yeah, it came with those parts, and regular hoops too. I may try that but I want to see if I can dial in the cantilever first.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, it came with those parts, and regular hoops too. I may try that but I want to see if I can dial in the cantilever first.
I kept the cantilever and installed the thickest of the 3 accessory anti-sway bars. This helped, but didn't entirely eliminate the torque twisting. https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gma30143.htm

Consider also upping the shock spring preload on the side it's twisting to. Here's a pic.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 04-05-2021 at 02:15 PM.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
I kept the cantilever and installed the thickest of the 3 accessory anti-sway bars. This helped, but didn't entirely eliminate the torque twisting. https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gma30143.htm

Consider also upping the shock spring preload on the side it's twisting to.
This kit doesn't come with the sway bars because it has the anti-roll transmission. In addition to having overdrive front driveline, both drivelines rotate in opposite directions which eliminates body roll.

The roll, I was talking about was a rollover on obstacles that don't seem like they would cause a rollover. I may try some thick shock oil....
Old 04-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Good looking rig, I've been a Gamde fan since the Bom was released and my Buffalo (military edition) has become my go-to class 2 rig without question. I love the built-in OD, CoG is really good, they've got great steering angle and once you add metal c-hubs/knuckles not much else is needed to make it perform as good as or better than anything else out there. I've been consistently impressed by Gmade's tendency to watch what the industry is doing and implement the best features into their stuff - i.e. SSD "inspired" pumpkins, M4 rod ends, forward motor mount, post-less body mounting etc etc... It's amazing how far they've come since the first R1's and Sawbacks..

About the cantilever on the Bom - I found to make it work well I had to do a few things; heavy oil (90wt I think it was), the stiffest springs Gmade sells, and outboard the lower link mounts. Even at that I stiil wasn't 100% happy and I would've like to add a sway bar but I gave up on the canti and switched to V-style..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Good looking rig, I've been a Gamde fan since the Bom was released and my Buffalo (military edition) has become my go-to class 2 rig without question. I love the built-in OD, CoG is really good, they've got great steering angle and once you add metal c-hubs/knuckles not much else is needed to make it perform as good as or better than anything else out there. I've been consistently impressed by Gmade's tendency to watch what the industry is doing and implement the best features into their stuff - i.e. SSD "inspired" pumpkins, M4 rod ends, forward motor mount, post-less body mounting etc etc... It's amazing how far they've come since the first R1's and Sawbacks..

About the cantilever on the Bom - I found to make it work well I had to do a few things; heavy oil (90wt I think it was), the stiffest springs Gmade sells, and outboard the lower link mounts. Even at that I stiil wasn't 100% happy and I would've like to add a sway bar but I gave up on the canti and switched to V-style..

Did you do stiff springs and oil on all four corners, or just the rear?
Old 04-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Did you do stiff springs and oil on all four corners, or just the rear?
Just the rear, front I went with the Gmade soft springs and 30wt oil.

I'm sure there's TC springs out there that would fit and I think Junfac even lists spring rates on their site for a cross-reference if you wanted to go down that road.

The problem with their cantilever design is that the leverage ratio is too high so that's what we're trying to combat. Outboarding the lower munts is a big help as well.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Just the rear, front I went with the Gmade soft springs and 30wt oil.

I'm sure there's TC springs out there that would fit and I think Junfac even lists spring rates on their site for a cross-reference if you wanted to go down that road.

The problem with their cantilever design is that the leverage ratio is too high so that's what we're trying to combat. Outboarding the lower munts is a big help as well.
Cool, thanks. Ill try outboarding the lower links I'll probably just crank up the rear preloads and add 80 wt oil (all I have in the shop at the moment) for now until I can find the right springs.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I'm late to this party but for what it's worth, this was the best performing crawler in its class in stock form I've yet tested. I've just written a review about it, which includes a link to a video I made on it that shows the BOM TC on my test course. It's tires are excellent, also (video here shows just how good, against 11 other common tire sets!).

It's been a few months but I still really like this thing. If anyone's encountered cut steel diff gears for the GS02F I'd love to hear from you! It is a missing ingredient to this rig, as are sealed bearings (they're all unshielded). Otherwise though, wow, she's one serious contender on the rocks.
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Following up on my diff grenading, I've replaced the Holmes 40T Trailmaster Expert and HH BRX ESC with a WP-1060 and a Holmes 16T 540 Crawlmaster Sport. This is a more appropriate combo, I think, and so far, so good. Testing continues. I really like this thing!
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote

BOMs Away - GS02F TC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queso meets a Buffalo (GS02F) QuesoDelDiablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 01-12-2022 06:19 PM
new G-made GS02F CyberFox 1.9 Scale Rigs 23 07-26-2021 10:42 AM
Convert Gatekeeper or SSD TK, GS02F, DC1, 10.2, 10.3? Derka General Crawlers 5 01-11-2021 10:05 AM