Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Injora Rock Bouncer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Injora Rock Bouncer?

So can anyone give me some information on the ESC that I will get? I have NiMH batteries (up to 12 cells) and an outrunner 2050 kv motor and I do not want to spend 150 on the ESC.
NERodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERodrigues View Post
So can anyone give me some information on the ESC that I will get? I have NiMH batteries (up to 12 cells) and an outrunner 2050 kv motor and I do not want to spend 150 on the ESC.
maybe part out a old turbo hopper

oh wait that wont work with brushless
your on your own there buddy

good luck
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:23 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the attempt dude.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

So here is the Motor I need an ESC for. The batteries are NiMH and I have enough cells to go up to 12 if I wanted to but I would like to keep it within 6-8

Surpass Hobby Crawler 3532 2050KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Shaft 3.175mm

Feature:

1. High Torsion Rotor Design: 14 pole 12 slot high torsion rotor design, with strong torsion and stable output power. Easy to use and fine workmanship.
2. Wide Range of Application: With wide range of application, and is suitablE for Axial SCX10, for , for 1/10 brushless tracked vehicles, 4 x M3 screw mounting holes.
3. CNC Machined: CNC machined, 6061 T6 aluminum front and rear cover. High purity high temperature resistant copper coil, effectively provide higher efficiency.
4. Super Durability: High toughness stainless steel output shaft, high accuracy and high quality bearing to make motor super durability.
5. Detachable Structure Design: Detachable structure design, convenient cleaning and maintenance, effectively prolong the motor life and improve work efficiency.

Specification:

Item Type: 2050KV Brushless Motor
Weight: Approx.146g / 5.2oz
Material: Aluminum Alloy + Copper + Stainless Steel
Color: Black
Model: 3532
KV (RPM): 2050KV
Maximum Power: 530W
Maximum Voltage: 14V (2-4S Lipo)
Maximum Current: 52A
Motor Pole Number: 14 Pole
Non Load Current: 1.6A
Internal Resistance (Ω): 0.245
Motor Length: Approx.32mm / 1.3in (Excluding Shaft)
Motor Diameter: Approx.35mm / 1.4in
Shaft Diameter: Approx.3.175mm / 0.1in
Shaft Length: Approx.12mm / 0.5in
Screw Hole: 4 x M3
Gold Plated Plug: Approx.4.0mm / 0.2in
Applicability: Suitable For Axial SCX10, For , For 1/10 Remote Control Track Vehicles
ESC Recommendations: for HHCM And Micro X

Last edited by NERodrigues; 07-31-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:30 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

As it says - ESC recommendations are either Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster or Castle Creations Mamba X, Micro X or SideWinder 4.

The CC SideWinder 4 can be found for about $80, the others are more expensive.

Brushless crawler-specific ESCs aren't cheap, but that SideWinder 4 is a pretty good deal...

Last edited by durok; 07-31-2022 at 08:32 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
As it says - ESC recommendations are either Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster or Castle Creations Mamba X, Micro X or SideWinder 4.

i dont think those will work with nimh batterys and with the issues the new castle stuff is having with under powered batterys and cuting out i wouldent even try it

i would seriosly look at old tamiya esc or novak or lrp or maybe even futaba escs they wont crawl for crap but they will run that motor off of nimh cause thats what was available at the time those escs came out the new escs really want to see stable voltage from a lipo or li-ion
Old 08-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

good old tamiya
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13372597536...3ABFBM0PqQlstg
brushless and nimh freindly not so good on the voltage though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31248845837...UAAOSw0j9ZQc-U
no specks listed on this one but im sure you can look it up

another one
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...55&cspheader=1

non of these will have the low speed control of a crawler spacific esc though and the outrunner might cog at start up they will run the outrunner on nimh though

heres some novak escs that will run brushless and nimh and might have better low speed.controle than the tamiyas
although even the best novak esc dosent hold a candle to todays cheap chinese crap but here are some anyway

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12464897221...EAAOSw8qVfyL4R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15505192324...wAAOSw9CZit3Kc

i remeber when novak came out with the new electronic speed controler lol we rode our bikes to the factory lookin for free stuff lol we got some stickers and where stokes on them
i still hve half a dozen novak motors running around there good but get hot in todays crawlers better for buggies even there rock star series isent up to the task like todays motors

im finding lrp stuff too but there new stuff is lipo only and its more geared twards buggie stuff

Last edited by ferp420; 08-01-2022 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I'll confess I completely forgot to take into account the fact that he is using NiMH cells...

Nevermind.

Frankly I wouldn't even try to run an outrunner on anything other than LiPo, and non-crawler-specific ESCs make for a very disappointing experience.

I remember the old days of using NiMH batteries, and would never go back!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

I'm interested to see this thing stuffed with all those cells in a place that helps increase traction. You could strap a few to each axle I guess. I run a 1500mah 3s pack in mine.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Frankly I wouldn't even try to run an outrunner on anything other than LiPo, and non-crawler-specific ESCs make for a very disappointing experience.

I remember the old days of using NiMH batteries, and would never go back!
i completely agree

Last edited by ferp420; 08-01-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
good old tamiya
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13372597536...3ABFBM0PqQlstg
brushless and nimh freindly not so good on the voltage though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31248845837...UAAOSw0j9ZQc-U
no specks listed on this one but im sure you can look it up

another one
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...55&cspheader=1

non of these will have the low speed control of a crawler spacific esc though and the outrunner might cog at start up they will run the outrunner on nimh though

heres some novak escs that will run brushless and nimh and might have better low speed.controle than the tamiyas
although even the best novak esc dosent hold a candle to todays cheap chinese crap but here are some anyway

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12464897221...EAAOSw8qVfyL4R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15505192324...wAAOSw9CZit3Kc

i remeber when novak came out with the new electronic speed controler lol we rode our bikes to the factory lookin for free stuff lol we got some stickers and where stokes on them
i still hve half a dozen novak motors running around there good but get hot in todays crawlers better for buggies even there rock star series isent up to the task like todays motors

im finding lrp stuff too but there new stuff is lipo only and its more geared twards buggie stuff
Now this is data I like. I am an old school (1982) Tamiya junkie. Started out with a Frog, all of my drift cars were Tamiya when I was heading up One Ten Drift Net. Best plastic in the known universe.

Ill take a look at what you are saying. Although I am kinda weirded out by how these ESC can reject NiMH when voltage is voltage. In crawling I should be able to just keep adding cells until it gets to the right number. I have the kits to construct whatever voltage pack I need. I have two 1500 MAH LiPo packs that ended up being useless to what I was doing. Voltage is voltage. Hell if it comes down to it Ill just buy a rheostat and a servo if that is what it takes.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

the grasshopper is still my all time favorite rc ever i still remeber the first time i saw one in person
i have 2 now lol some clods a few ff01s and ta02s and a ff01-tao2 dual motor 4wd rig and a few others a hot shot a cc01 and some kind of belt drive drift car that im not to sure as what it is but it says tamiya and the parts fit the tao2 and cc01

nimh batteys have more voltage sag than lipos and the escs need a smooth steady voltage curve to provide smooth start up and good low speed control

Last edited by ferp420; 08-01-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:54 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Yeah not sure what to say about it, I have had so many bad experiences with LiPo that I have a hard time spending the cash on more. As always I will figure out a middle ground.

As for Tamiya I owned

Frog

TT01R (Drift)
TA05 (Drift)
TL01 (converted to drift believe it or not)
TA03 (Drift)

(I know I owned more than that but I cannot remember them ATM)

I actually tuned the TT01 well enough that the best drifter in the US at the time told me it was the best thing he ever drove (Carlos from Drift EZ San Francisco). You can find his work on the Nissan Sentra commercial for Canada. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY0E7TRKUsY That was one of the high points of my life. Took me two years but I got his team to sign up with our group eventually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJ2m8QiorA&t=306s

Now I am just some dumbass RC guy in Montana
Old 08-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

cheap lipo hardcase 80c 5000 mah 2s
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19457039150...mis&media=COPY

goldbat batterys seem to be vary reliable for cheap batterys and for $17 there cheaper than nimh and have twice as much runtime

3s $26
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19500396224...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by ferp420; 08-01-2022 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:01 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

I will look into it.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

FYI, I use these little 1500mah 3s goldbatt packs (link below) for my injora thing. Gets around 45 mins runtime crawling. I haven't run it long enough since turning it into a bouncer to kill a battery but I would expect 30 mins still while running a more powerful brushless system.

https://a.co/d/bGCTKTY

Also grab an ammo can for storage and charging to set your mind at ease on potential lipo issues.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

Well, kudos to you all, you have worked me into actually looking into it. I think I will keep the NiMH batteries for my Everest 10 but for my Injora I will look into LiPo and hopefully find a decent charger that wont make me poor to handle both. Thankfully the Everest has those nice wide tires (they work better than all the other crawler tires I have tried and they are stock. You just need to cut down every other cleat) and it is generally a nice stocky rugged unit with a 21t brushed motor and an ESC70 ESC so really they should work nicely, but for the Injora (THAT I PUT A TON OF WORK INTO) it might be better to lighten it so I can put the weight where I need it. Also since it is generally just a pretty SCX10
I can modify it to oblivion. Since I dont plan to go mudding with it the outrunner should be fine.

Dont get me wrong guys, I may be advanced in the drift community but I am still a beginner to the crawler community. I do REALLY appreciate the feedback.

After all of this I think I am going to buy another Tamiya TA05 and introduce this little Montana town of 2000 to RC Drift. Why not. Besides, I miss the group I helped create. Strangely drift people are also drawn to crawling. Most of the guys who could afford it did both.

Last edited by NERodrigues; 08-02-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Ok so I give in. My success in finding speed controls that play well together with LiPo and the type of Brushless Outrunner I have are almost nil. Since I don't plan on giving up the hobby anytime soon I suspect I am going to take the plunge. I have 2 Blomiky 1500 mAh 40C 11.1V LiPos that have been kicking around for a while. It also gives me my leave to buy a better charger. Thing about this car is that there isn't much space internally in the cage which means the LiPos are going to give me more leeway to adjust weight location around the chassis since they are small and lightweight. Sorry bout being stubborn but it always served me well before. Now I just have to read up on the ESCs. I guess my Everest 10 will inherit the NiMHs since it has massive amounts of chassis to be able to move battery weight around. Also since it is kind of my test bed for things I am not going to feel bad about it being imperfect.

Also today I get a new servo mount from Amazon for the Injora. The one the company provided has a ton of slop.

Soon I will be able to contemplate the fun stuff like "what kind of light sets do I want" or "will I have an interior"
Old 08-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

holms hobbies makes a bad ass speed controler for the outrunners
castle sidwinder 4 is also a bad ass speed controler but it has a whine when crawling slow and the outrunner amplafies that sound
then theres the mamba series from castle same whine but more features than 1 rig will ever use in your lifetime
theres a diy esc thats silent thats made just for the outrunner but you have to build it your self theres a huge thread about it though
i run alot of the cheap chinese escs" i cant afford a mamba X in every rig lol" paired to outrunners the noise isent as bad as castle but the low speed start up and controle isent as good ether
with that gru you wont get much coging but i dont think its gona last to long conected to a outrunner and with out the gru it wont have the best start up but will still snap axle shafts with a blip of the throtle so theres your trade off

keep a eye on that 1500mah battery its kinda small just a heads up it might not be able to handle the power draw your only working with 60amps just adding up your ratings your right on the edge but if its a good battery you should be ok
you wont have good run times though and keep a eye out for puffing of the pack
Old 08-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Looks like the Sidewinder 4 ends up being the happy medium. It meets all of the specs. The HH Crawlermaster Mini seems like the KV rating does not meet my specs and the Mambas are more than I would like to give up. BTW thanks again for the help. When I was working with the drift crew I was working with newbies mostly (Because none of the other drivers would lower themselves to do it) so I dealt mostly with brushed and NiMH. Although I had one brushless (sensored) from Trinity that I wish I hadn't sold and never used. I always had a love obsession with Trinity motors back in the day. Always ran the Green Machine 2 stocks. Solid brushed unit. So I suppose I will order the ESC here in the next few days, get acquainted with it and then start on the rest.

Injora Rock Bouncer? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injora 114mm 1.9 Rock Crawler Tire Review SteveB1 Tires and Wheels 20 12-06-2021 04:41 AM
INJORA Rock buggy Rcing4life Videos! 4 06-30-2021 08:19 PM
INJORA Rock Bouncer Rcing4life Scale Videos! 0 06-30-2021 08:16 PM