Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: On the fence about this kit.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default On the fence about this kit.....

Been wanting a Sawback for some time, but just couldn't afford it. I miss my TF2, and want another leaf sprung kit. I have a Deadbolt and a CC01 chassis. Now that I have the money to get one, I'm researching more and there seems to be about a 50/50 split on yes and no's. Been reading about the parts being hard to locate in the kit as they are not as intuitive as say an Axial kit. Are they a PITA to build?

Thanks, Jim.
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: On the fence about this kit.....

I think it depends on your mechanical aptitude. Not a lot of parts to begin with and yes the screws are mixed between several bags, but at least every page of the destructions have a count of each fastener needed and a template for each size screw that's very accurate. After a while you should be able to tell the size of each screw by a glance.
I really enjoyed building mine. No issues with fitment and plenty of extra screws. Only thing I don't like is the microscopic retaining clips that go into the bottom of the shock bodies. Of course after 30 years of mechanicing my hands don't work well with tiny pieces anyway. One other nit picky thing I don't like is the folds in the Lexan body on each side and across the top of the grill. Every one I've seen has had these flaws. I tend to whine about the little details such as these.
All in all, you can dump all the parts out in a pile and identify every one of them without any trouble. My Sawback went together way faster and with way less trouble than my CC01 did, and I'm already planning my next Sawback build
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
I think it depends on your mechanical aptitude. Not a lot of parts to begin with and yes the screws are mixed between several bags, but at least every page of the destructions have a count of each fastener needed and a template for each size screw that's very accurate. After a while you should be able to tell the size of each screw by a glance.
I really enjoyed building mine. No issues with fitment and plenty of extra screws. Only thing I don't like is the microscopic retaining clips that go into the bottom of the shock bodies. Of course after 30 years of mechanicing my hands don't work well with tiny pieces anyway. One other nit picky thing I don't like is the folds in the Lexan body on each side and across the top of the grill. Every one I've seen has had these flaws. I tend to whine about the little details such as these.
All in all, you can dump all the parts out in a pile and identify every one of them without any trouble. My Sawback went together way faster and with way less trouble than my CC01 did, and I'm already planning my next Sawback build
Thanks for the response! I'd be curious to see how much work it would be to reverse the layout of the ESC and receiver with the battery location. Battery to the front.
I moved things around on my Deadbolt and it helped quite a bit with the capability of the kit.
Just installed a new Deadbolt

Last edited by jim_w; 04-21-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 AM   #4

I'm with Jeepiac on this one - a delight to build and to drive. Sure, a few of the parts are a little fiddly, but fit and finish is really outstanding.

I've finished mine with both the stock body and a Tamiya Cruiser body. Looks great either way.

Good luck.

John
rcflyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I built mine in a few hours. Was very easy as far as kits go. Didn't bother with the stock shocks, used Axial SCX10 ones from the get go - preferred oil dampening. Other than that, built it box stock and it went together easily.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I compete with my sawback and moving the battery to the front was a good idea

this is the layout and as you can see it all works quite well the Velcro patch in front of the trans is where my battery sits across the body

steamboatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

this is a better photo of the layout

steamboatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatbob View Post
this is a better photo of the layout

I like it! Similar to the way I done my Deadbolt. Thanks for the pics
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I am also considering a Sawback as my second rig. Talked to a guy who had one and he said it was far more durable than his TF2 and would recommend the Sawback every time.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Can someone explain what the "anti wrap" mod is? Pics maybe?
Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

From what I understand, to gain flex with the leaf springs some use only the longest spring in the kit rather than 2 or all 3 lengths on each corner. The problem is with only one leaf the springs are prone to bending and frequent replacement. To fix this some build links between the axle and the frame to keep axles aligned and in the proper position reducing the chance for a bent leaf.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Scaled is right, but a lot of the link setups you'll see don't work. The axle moves towards the shackle when the suspension is compressed. A single ball end on each end of the link will bind. There's a thread showing some different ideas on how to make links. Some work, some don't.

Anti-Wrap Links / Traction Bars

I am not running links yet. I'm running the medium and small spring on top of the main leaf. Thinking about trying some shooter shackles in the rear, but then I'll have to do something with the limited shock travel.

Steel Shooter Shackles Black Edition
Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

No longer on the fence...I fell off! Ordered one from RPP a few minutes ago. No need to put myself thru so much stress about this. Hoping for a positive experience with the kit. I expect it to be slightly better than a CC01 chassis, so that's not asking too much of it! After looking at the "anti-wrap" issue, it doesn't look too intimidating to make. I'll probably run a 35t cheap motor and a Axial AE-5 esc, 2S lipo, and a waterproof metal gear servo, maybe a BEC.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you're going to run about the same setup I've got and it works pretty good imo. Slightly better than a CC01? Really? You're in for a big surprise! My CC01 is built pretty good and it doesn't hold a candle to my Sawback (aka Booger). Now that you've pulled the trigger I'll tell you how bad the stock tires suck They really suck A LOT!
And don't worry about the axle wrap. I've been beating the hell out of mine and intentionally doing full throttle wheel hops and reverse to forward in order to make sure it's going to work before I take it to a comp. (rather find the weak points at home instead of in front of an audience) So far the springs are doing great. Found out it'll ride a pretty good wheelie too

Al says welcome to the club
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Al! I figured the stock tires were garbage. Most are, including Tamiya! I like the look of the RC4WD Mud Slingers. I run PitBull Rockbeasts' on my SCX10. What are you running on Booger?

Last edited by jim_w; 04-25-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Right now I'm running Rip Saws with stock foams. Not sure how they're going to do in the real world, but messing around here they seem to work perdy good and they just look at home on a Sawback imo. Plus you can pick them up on fleabay for 20 buck a set shipped. I'm all about cheap
Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

After a lot of time with it, I'm convinced the Sawback is one of the best RCs I've owned. Moving the battery up front is a great mod, see here: Defender Sawback project

I haven't been able to break it and I haven't been easy on it. SCX10 drivers have been blown away by the performance of this thing on the hills and rocks. I found the kit a lot of fun to build, I hope you have the same experience!
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I took mine out for the first time yesterday and it's is without a doubt a great crawler. It climbed things I'd have bet money it wouldn't. And it did impress a couple of people, mainly me. And the Rip Saws are staying on Booger. Work great
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #19

My Sawbacks are my favorite rigs! I liked my first one so much I built a second! They take a pounding. The only weakness I've found is the leaf springs. They do bend. But the leaf springs work well even when bent.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

So far my leaf setup is holding good. I flogged the snot out of mine the first time out and no bent leafs Great flex (for a stock Sawback) and the realism of the way the thing takes bumps and jumps is awesome.
In my opinion the crawling ability falls right in with scx10's. I fallowed a couple of them through all the obstacles (all class 1 rigs) and I pretty much went were they did without any trouble. some places the Sawback did a little better. My frontend is a little on the light side and that caused some problems in a couple places, but that's being taken care of I was actually giggling like a little girl half the time at how well it went places I thought it shouldn't. I was worried that it would be completely helpless with the half drooped suspension and weighing in at 7+ pounds. Low and heavy seems to work like a charm. And I'm probably going to buy one for the kid so she can have a scaler. Once I convince her that you don't have to have 2.2's and 4" of ground clearance.

On the fence about this kit..... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help to knock me off the fence gdhknives Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 05-02-2010 09:39 PM
on the fence, what to get next 2500hdon37s Chit Chat 4 04-27-2010 06:33 PM
So I am on the fence... BoostEEd Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 03-26-2009 12:28 PM
my slash over 9' fence Dubs Chops Non Crawler RC's 6 03-26-2009 09:08 AM
The Electric Fence Rockpiledriver Chit Chat 17 07-13-2007 08:10 PM