Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Sawback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Sawback

Original huh ^^^^^^

This is more of a built thread since I have already ran the truck at last weekends comp.

During the build I decided to put the left c hub on the right side and the right one on the left side. This accomplished 2 things. It added caster and it allowed my to run the tie rod on top of the leaf springs. With the servo on the axle you will need to point the servo horn up instead of the standard downward facing position. You also need to use a spacer that you can scavenge from the parts tree to raise the tie rod up a bit to clear the leaf (sit on top).
After I had the truck assembled I decided I wanted to have CMS so I cut a piece of 1/4" delrin 7mm long and sandwiched it in between the frame rails where the body post mounts. I removed the nuts that hold the posts in place and just screwed the bolts into the delrin. I decided to use an old clod buster servo mount since it was alum http://store.rc4wd.com/Servo-Mount-f...os_p_1831.html but you could use the stock mount,all you do it screw it to the delrin and then install the servo. You could also just use standard servo stand offs and screw them to the delrin

I also flipped and trimmed the pho engine to allow me to mount my battery on the electronics tray that the motor partial conceals in stock config.
After the the comp my only disappointment was the lack of steering the dogbones offer, decided I needed to find a way to fix that pronto. Digging thru all my parts bins I came across my TLT stuff. I found a set of alum highsteer knuckles, they where almost a perfect fit for the C's and the hex pin and king pin positions where perfect. It was then I figured out that these were not for a TLT but I had been modifying them to fit by slightly grinding the king pins bosses down a bout a 1/32". I think they may have been for the cco1 but I am not sure.
The ones NIP are TLT, you can see the highsteer difference in the open ones I used. They may be made by GPM like the NIP but I don't have the original packaging to confirm.

Here is a shot of them installed as viewed from the under side.

And a proper view, if you look close you will see the caster and also the tierod sitting above the leaf.

I didn't take any picks of the CVD's I used but they are from the t-rex axles. These are close, I had the og cvds, these would work fine. http://store.rc4wd.com/XVD-Axle-for-T-Rex-60_p_537.html

All I needed to do was trim the skinny rod/tab of one of them and then grind the flats in to engage the locker. Keep in mind the stock axles have a long and short side as do the t-rex axles.
The steering is much better now. My tires just touch the leafs now. Not Vanquish VVD angle but much better for sure.

I should mention that the dia of the t-rex axle is slightly smaller than the dia of the stock axle at the end where you grind the flat. This is due to the fact that the t-rex is a splined end and that process must remove a bit of material when done. The unspline portion is the same as the stocker. It did not seem to add any additional slop in the locker engagement.

Next on the to do list is try and adapt some sort of od/ud set up.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 12-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sawback

I felt the need for a cage.

And an original Chino light bar

Time for sliders/exhaust (stole the idea from BMuzzy)

Mounted a winch on the bumper and trimmed the front end a little more to my liking

Used an old rear step bumper I had laying around, and added some scale accessories.

Flashpoints for the shoes and hunter Dan for the driver. I think he is the perfect size.

Some profile shots, I trimmed the fenders a bit also. I thought the lip was to thick.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice, I like your steering mod, I've noticed how bad the steering on these rigs are. what does the extra Castor do? After chassis-mounting the servo, is the steering suffering even more?
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

In 1:1 castor really helps keep a rig stable at speed and aids in returning the wheels to center amonst other things. For us in the rc crawling world, it helps keep the tires out of the shocks/links or leafs when the wheels go to full lock. It is due to the angles the the tire swings when you add castor. It can also effect your contact patch and as always other things to.

When you do a CMS on a leaf sprung rig you will induce bump steer since there is no pan hard to counter act the swinging motion of the axle. I didnt care in this case since the rig is a fairly scale representation. Getting the servo off the axle was more important to me than performance. Plus, it was just plain fun figuring out the steering aspects and knowing I made something work from misfit parts. To me, building is 1/2 the fun and enjoyment of the hobby. Then comes testing out your build skills and trucks ability against others in the form of comps.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Killing it in here boss..liking your steering mods. I like the white also looks sharp.
Crawlorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, it is actually a grey primer sprayed on the inside. Camera is old like me and doesnt take the best shots and the pids were taken under the flourescent light on my hobby bench. I should have some action shots from the comp if/when the guys decide to post them.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Make sure Hunter Dan is cautious when re-fueling over that exhaust! HaHa. I will definitely be stealing that slider idea too. Nice job with the scavenged parts.
13in. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Where did u get ur roll bar from? also anymore pics of how u mounted it? im digging the rear bumper and the steering mod/knuckles.

J.
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

if your using the t-rex axle shafts, do you think t-rex high steer hubs could be modded to work?
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13in. View Post
Make sure Hunter Dan is cautious when re-fueling over that exhaust! HaHa. I will definitely be stealing that slider idea too. Nice job with the scavenged parts.
Maybe I should put him in a fire suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox View Post
Where did u get ur roll bar from? also anymore pics of how u mounted it? im digging the rear bumper and the steering mod/knuckles.

J.
Thanks, I made the roll bar myself from hydro line. It is flattened and screwed to the lexan body at the main hoop right behind the seats, down tube is just shoe goo'd into place as it passes thru the body. I can pick the rig up and carry it all day long from the roll bar if I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldham View Post
if your using the t-rex axle shafts, do you think t-rex high steer hubs could be modded to work?
Maybe, I am not sure as my t-rex axles are long gone and these were just parts laying in the bin. If the t-rex axles have C's close to the size of TLT they should work with a little grinding.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Truck is looking nice!

Here is your video, it's not edited or etc. Enjoy.
http://s80.photobucket.com/user/just...f7c43.mp4.html
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldham View Post
I can answer this.

I did this the other way around and used GMade R1/Sawback knuckles in my T Rex axles. They worked great.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as good the other way around.

Cheers
H2Micr0
H2Micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Truck is looking nice!

Here is your video, it's not edited or etc. Enjoy.
http://s80.photobucket.com/user/just...f7c43.mp4.html
Thanks Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Micr0 View Post
I can answer this.

I did this the other way around and used GMade R1/Sawback knuckles in my T Rex axles. They worked great.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as good the other way around.

Cheers
H2Micr0
Am I understanding correct that the r-1 and sawback use the same knuckles ?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yes, according to the Junfac website.

You could use the alloy R1 knuckles as an upgrade.

Cheers
H2Micr0
H2Micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thank you for the clarification, I went to Junfacs site and they looked the same but I didn't confirm part #'s.

Well, we don't usually get cold weather like this. I happened to be east over in Dayton and it was 5* out when I shot this vid.

Crappy vid, but I had fun in really cold weather.......

http://s484.photobucket.com/user/hot...bd634.mp4.html
Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

looking good, also tlt knuckles fit
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ever figure out what high steer knuckles those are? Anyone? Im sure we are all watching!
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

No luck so far, I went threw GPM site and nothing jumped out. Maybe I missed it and it would be worth another look.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Another member posted they are df03 knuckles.
Confirmed!
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #20

figured id give this thread a bump with a message! as to the video where he said "to bad it isnt a bard body" no joke i talked to the awesome folks at Kamtec and i think they have put one under development they didnt say if the would or wouldent but i like our odds Home | RC Car Accessories | UK | Kamtec Models
Jester the Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sawback - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JP's Sawback jp0160 G-Made Sawback 48 03-23-2014 08:27 AM
sawback or dingo? crazy nick General Crawlers 14 01-02-2014 11:25 PM
G-Made Sawback IN STOCK RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 5 12-30-2013 04:40 PM
Gmade Sawback IN STOCK at TCS!!! kevinlongisland Vendors Market 0 11-22-2013 08:15 AM
The new gmade sawback is coming! Reaxion911 G-Made Sawback 3 11-07-2013 02:23 PM