Notices

Thread: Shape_Shifter Builds a Sawback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Shape_Shifter Builds a Sawback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The shackles do twist a little bit but not as much as I thought they would.

I bent my stock leaf springs so I'll need new ones. I don't like that the RC4WD ones are red though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I dont know why they chose red for the soft ones but at least you dont confuse them with stock ones.

Actually, the Revolvers will rotate a lot more with a stock spring pack.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #22

Quote:
The shackles do twist a little bit but not as much as I thought they would.

I bent my stock leaf springs so I'll need new ones. I don't like that the RC4WD ones are red though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Are the rc4wd red ones the same size as the stock sawbacks. I broke one trying to keep up with my son in the honcho.....lol
Next time your out I will show you few idea's i am working on for these springs and the wrap problem.
Dialed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Are the rc4wd red ones the same size as the stock sawbacks. I broke one trying to keep up with my son in the honcho.....lol
Next time your out I will show you few idea's i am working on for these springs and the wrap problem.
I'm not sure if the RC4WD leaf springs are the same size. I've only seen them online. Maybe Shape Shifter can answer this.

I still haven't done anything to prevent axle wrap, but I'm anxious to see what else you have up your sleeve.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Yeah the red ones are the same size as stock Sawback, Bruiser, TF, etc. You can see a few posts back what I did about axle wrap.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I finally got around to working on the lights. I am not finished but I think I have the hard part figured out.

I had a bunch of parts and options to work with including the Gmade buckets, some Carclo brackets and lenses, and some ebay 3watts and lenses. In my experimentation, I ended up giving one of the Gmade buckets a radical mastectomy, but it turned out ok, and I can glue it back together easily if I want.

I ended up using modified Carclo lenses to fit in the ebay buckets that will use the 3watt Cree (clones?) for the headlights. I need to clean up the holes a little. I am waiting for some orange 3mm LEDs to show up so I can do the signal lights.

I also experimented with using a dab of Jasco paint stripper to remove paint from just the circles of the lenses. Unfortunately, Jasco attacks Lexan and it clouded the clear "lens" area of the body (under the light decals) which is why I neede to drill out the headlights. Otherwise I would have just use the Gmade buckets and modified them to take the Crees (though the Crees perform wayyy better with their own special optics like the Carclos). I need to come up with a decent fix for small orange lenses....
Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

It's kinda hard to describe how bright these are with a photo. But trust me, they're freakin' bright.

Now I gotta work on some heat sinks so she doesn't melt down.....
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

While waiting for CooperXL to make my stainless bumper and sliders, I decided to make a simple rear bumper for myself. Really simple, really easy.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

So I went to the "Little Sluce" in my front yard to test my newly made bumper. After some relatively mild wheeling, I noticed the front end was a little sloppy. Then after a few more seconds, I noticed it got really sloppy and I figured I broke a stock knuckle or something.

I turned it over to unplug everything and was amazed to see not one, but both front leaf springs had snapped in the same place, almost at the same time!

I had the springs on a different truck but only to see how the truck sat. So after very little use, the RC4WD soft leaf springs failed. Miserably.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #29

I guess I'll never order the RC4WD leafs! I'm going to get another GMade set and add panhard bars.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #30

Besides GMade, RC4WD, and Tamiya, I think the only other option is Integy leaf springs. I know a lot of people hate Integy, but they may be worth a try.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
So I went to the "Little Sluce" in my front yard to test my newly made bumper. After some relatively mild wheeling, I noticed the front end was a little sloppy. Then after a few more seconds, I noticed it got really sloppy and I figured I broke a stock knuckle or something.

I turned it over to unplug everything and was amazed to see not one, but both front leaf springs had snapped in the same place, almost at the same time!

I had the springs on a different truck but only to see how the truck sat. So after very little use, the RC4WD soft leaf springs failed. Miserably.
How many leafs did you have and how did you place them.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
How many leafs did you have and how did you place them.
The red Soft Crawler springs from RC4WD only hava a single leaf. The were placed in the appropriate fashion. Anti-wrap bars are installed as shown above.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Besides GMade, RC4WD, and Tamiya, I think the only other option is Integy leaf springs. I know a lot of people hate Integy, but they may be worth a try.
I don't know about integy springs, but I just replaced the broken Red Springs with the stock long and short leaves. I am really gonna miss all the articulation that the Red Springs gave me. :(
Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Mine broke at the rear hole in the spring where there is minimal material and it is right on the edge of the axle perch.

If I do the RCWD40 red springs again, I will make the bottom perches longer so they go past the 3 holes. This way they wont crease right at the hole. I think I can make the red ones work....
Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I put some alternative tires on the stock wheels. As a nod to the original, I painted the wheels pumpkin orange. The 1945 CJ-2A were available to civilians in a couple of colors. One of them was tan with olive green seats and pumpkin orange wheels. This is the jeep where I got my color ideas from.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

While I had the wheels apart I added two 1/4" thick lead rings to the inside bead clamps. This in addition to the lead ring on the backside of wheels makes these things as heavy as depleted uranium.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Where do you get said rings?
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
Where do you get said rings?
You have to make them.

I found this lead that comes in a coil at Walmart in the fishing weight section. They come in a couple different sizes. I used 1/4" on the 1.9 wheels. I cut them to size then used good ol' Shoe Goo to stick them on. Make sure they dont interfere with the pinch ring.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Thank you sir , very simple and cheap , just the way I like it.
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Great build & info right here gang! I have the RC4WD springs ready to swap in place of the stock but now am seeing your dilemma & will make larger perch to maybe prevent breaking.
That lead wire is tough to find, I tried Cabela's, Bass Pro, Fin-&-Feather & Sheels w/o any luck as to getting that lead wire now u spot it at Wal-Mart of all places dam never even crossed my mind I'm off like superman to Wally World!!
Tinrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Shape_Shifter Builds a Sawback - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sawback hotwheels000 G-Made Sawback 19 05-09-2015 05:32 PM
how does every one like there sawback digger48 G-Made Sawback 38 05-12-2014 06:05 PM
Best-Looking Sawback DWJL511 Videos! 3 01-20-2014 09:49 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM