Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Sawback of another color

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sawback of another color

Got-er-done While setting on the crapper (where I do my best thinking) it hit me. Instead of messing with a stupid caster shim, just file down the perches and change the angle on the axle DUH! Worked out great. Here is what all this mod ended up doing. Wheel base has no noticeable change, front axle moves backwards when suspension is compressed. Moving the hangers to the front of the spring will stop the damn shackles from hanging up on everything, and the raised bumper will also be a big help. As an added bonus he front end has a bunch of flex now
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

No you need to figure out how to mount the winch again. I may try this tomorrow night. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
genetix_drftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

It's been a while since I've posted my progress on the Sawback, so I'll throw some of my shitty pictures up here and try to explain some of my mad experiments. I'm still running all the original plastic axle parts. Many a mile through some really bad crawl spots and nothing has yet to give up on ol' Booger except for the original set of leaves. 4 hours of fast hard core crawling finished them off. I did a bunch of grinding on the knuckles and gained the exact same amount of steering as the zero ackerman knuckles and they are holding up very well. Finally put exhaust on it and added some more scale crap, and I put the stock shocks back on. I really believe it crawls better with the stock amount of suspension flex. Seems to be more stable and doesn't roll over as easily. I also put R1 gears in the frontend. It is doable if you aint scared to grind the hell out of the inside of the frontend with a Dremel, and it does help steering. I finally moved the battery forward and relocated the ESC to the back. Actually seems to crawl just lik it did with my old setup, but it is about 4oz lighter now
Al is now cruising in style with a chain steering wheel and he caught a bucket-O-fish
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeepiac; 09-24-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Looking good!
I actually just took off those stock sticks and replaced them with 90mm Gmade G-Transition shocks. Way less bouncy and still flexes nicely. Just had to remove the inner springs.
That R1 gearing is my next to-do.

Sent from Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
FinCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

The overdrive gear isn't hard to do. I did it some time ago and it's been great. I don't know why no one else is doing it. I'm thinking with the reversed shackles and the R1 gears I might have finally been the first at something for one lol. The shackle mod set off a big chain reaction, but it was worth it in the end. Main problem is with tire size because the axle now moves backwards instead of forwards when the suspension is compressed.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

With the new Komodo kit coming out I just started to do some research on these. In doing so I want to give you credit for coming up with the R1 gear mod. If I decide to purchase one of these, that will be the first thing I do. One of the reasons I haven't considered the Ascender is that I don't believe there is currently anyway to accomplish this.
jlsandkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Hopefully Gmade eventually gets off their ass and comes out with under/overdrive gears for the Sawback/Komodo axles. The gearing change could stand to be just a little more drastic in my opinion, but what you end up does help somewhat.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Love the Al Bundy figure and your rig
desertdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Thank you! I kinda like him/it myself. I've had more fun with this thing than the rest of my crawlers combined.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Sweet Jeep Sawback, love your detailed tech how to for all and you're cutting and grinding stuff to try and make it better! Turned out awesome and Al is just frosting on the cake. I'm really liking my Ascender, but this looks like a very fun truck, the leaf springs are cool too. I've thought about RC4WD TF2, but think I would destroy it with my throttle finger and lots of long rocky tumbles. The new Komodo has caught my eye too. What driveshafts are you running?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Sweet Jeep Sawback, love your detailed tech how to for all and you're cutting and grinding stuff to try and make it better! Turned out awesome and Al is just frosting on the cake. I'm really liking my Ascender, but this looks like a very fun truck, the leaf springs are cool too. I've thought about RC4WD TF2, but think I would destroy it with my throttle finger and lots of long rocky tumbles. The new Komodo has caught my eye too. What driveshafts are you running?
Thanks! I'm running Junfac drive shafts and they are doing great after 9 months of running. Of course I run the power it was intended to run. Brushless on 3s like some people run in an effort to compensate for their lack of ability will probably shorten the life of the shafts, as it will any shaft or cv style joint. When modded correctly the Sawback is a true contender in the scale comp world and all it needs is a 35T and 2s Lipo to do it. And this thing is TOUGH! The springs actually last a long time if they are set up right. The ugly old beater gained some fans this weekend at fun crawl after the actual comps were over. Wish I would have used it in the comp now instead of my Monte, maybe I would have placed higher.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Haven't posted anything about my tired ole Sawback for a while. Figured since I'm board, I'd give a heads up on it's reincarnation. While at Crawl-a-palooza I found the perfect body. Harley had it on his table of goodies, and after 2 days of trying to get him to drop the price (was already a good deal) I grabbed it. Of course with every stinking thing I do a chain reaction was set into effect. Decided the new body would need new tires/wheels to compliment it. Well, after $60 spent on a set of Super Swamper XL's and doing the mock up, I discovered it looked like shit, so smaller tires it'll be. I made a quick and simple cms setup that turned out great and enlisted a E10 battery mount to lay the battery long ways down low between the frame rails. Seemed like an awesome setup till I tried to set the body on it. Steering servo hit the front of the body, so while still pissed, I chucked the new cms mount and carved up the end of the battery mount and stuck the servo on the end of it. Looks like crap but it'll work for now. Hopefully the body will see some paint this weekend. When its all said and done, I'm planning on shaving 2 lbs off the total weight. The original body with all that's on/in it is HEAVY. If all works out well and if I can get an interior put together in time, I may run it at Disney Ok this year I'll post up more of what I've had to do in order to get this stinking body to work and a complete mod list when it's all done and ready to crawl. Sneak peak at whats happening
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

How did you strip the chrome from the chassis?
Synister_Intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synister_Intent View Post
How did you strip the chrome from the chassis?
I used a angle head die grinder with a rolock pad. Took the plating down to the copper clad, primed it with self etching primer then heat paint. Not overly happy with the results. Chips a little to easy. Thinking about redoing it with bed liner.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I like where this is going.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Should have the ol' Sawback far enough along for the concourse at the local club meet next weekend, then I'll get some pictures up of the transformation. Body just didn't want to set on the chassis like I'd hoped, but it's still pretty dang cool. Al isn't going to fit in the new body and he looked really sad just setting on the bench watching me work on his once favorite ride, so I ordered him a Sawback 4LS yesterday. Thinking the ugly old green body would get stuck on the new crawler

Also for the ones of you that don't know, Junfac, GPM, and Boom are starting to crank out upgrades for the Gmade line, and for $14 shipping, Junfac will get you your parts in less than a week
Old 06-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Ol' booger now known as Green Back ended up turning into a dust collector till last weekend. mounting the last remaining unpainted Axial rat rod body left in the universe set off chain reactions just like everything I do, but it did turn out ok. Had to remount the battery to accommodate the narrow body and ended up with a CMS. No pictures of the battery mount, but a Everest E10 mount works great with a little trimming. Battery is lower and the steering servo mounts right in the end of it
Al is now riding in a Sawback 4ls, which I'm not overly impressed with, so It's getting leaf springs and all the other mods the original ride got. As for the original Sawback body with the pound of diamond plate on it, it some how found it's way onto my Wraith. Seems like most of my crawlers have Gmade on them now Except for my Ascender I'm working on, but it'll probably end up with Junfac drive shafts
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

The ol' Sawback has been a dust collector for quite a while, but during one of my random eBay searches I stumbled across a hard body I had to have.
The chain reaction has started. First I had to shorten the Sawback's wheelbase to 10 1/2" then I decided to convert to a forward motor, so I decided to give the RC4WD transmission a try. Short wheelbase is giving me a bit of a hard time with driveline angles and cv joint's binding. Just ordered a second t-case cause the first one I bought is never going to work. Hope this one does the job because I'm getting kinda tired of buying transfer cases.
And yes that's a set of junk Integy shocks, but even with al the leaking they do, they dampen great and in conjunction with the GPM shock mounts this little feller case amazing articulation. If you look closely at the pictures you'll see the rear spring mounts have been moved forward and the front shackles have been moved to the rear of the front springs. Just some of my tricks to keep the old leafer competitive.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Mail it down here!
big bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bacon View Post
Mail it down here!
How does NO sound lol. I'll let ya drive it at crawl-a-palooza this year though.

Sawback of another color - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 09:04 PM
Which new color for our next Gear Head Dual Color LED Light Bar? Gear Head RC Vendors Electronics 4 05-03-2014 05:42 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM
what color pat bet General Crawlers 1 08-21-2007 01:52 PM