Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Durability for child? Also how about the Komodo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Durability for child? Also how about the Komodo?

Hi, two part question here. I have a few RC4WD rigs for myself and an axial based jeep for the lady. However my seven year old girl has expressed interest in RC for the first time and I'm considering getting her a Vaterra ascender or the sawback. I'm leaning towards the sawback because the open body may make it more appealing to allow her to put barbies and the like in as drivers.

Question is, I know nothing about this brand or model and want to know how the quality is on these sawbacks? I watched a few videos of reviews and they seem to claim the parts are somewhat cheaply made.

I was on rpp and just found this similar model from Junfac and considering it, except it has no interior.

Jun Fac Gmade Komodo 1/10TH SCALE CRAWLER KIT

Input appreciated
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Durability for child? Also how about the Komodo?

I've beat the snot out of my Sawback and have never had a problem. I did replace the plastic drive shafts with Junfac's when I built it because the stock shafts are VERY short lived. I would go with a Komodo over the Sawback for a kid because I believe it will be a bit more capable, and more capable is more fun. The Sawback can also be a bit hard to control at full speed through the rough stuff. Very bouncy with no actual suspension dampening, but I get a kick out of watching mine bounce like the old Willy's Jeeps you see in old videos. I love my Sawback, but have you considered a SCX10 for the kid? My daughter loves her Deadbolt and you can pick up a RTR for around $250.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I bought my daughter a Wraith Spawn kit and put a 35T motor in it. My only mistake was going light on the servo which was replaced with a larger one. With the 2.2s it takes a beating. Note the Barbie head. Deadbolt in the background is mine and the youngest is starting to drive.

scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
I've beat the snot out of my Sawback and have never had a problem. I did replace the plastic drive shafts with Junfac's when I built it because the stock shafts are VERY short lived. I would go with a Komodo over the Sawback for a kid because I believe it will be a bit more capable, and more capable is more fun. The Sawback can also be a bit hard to control at full speed through the rough stuff. Very bouncy with no actual suspension dampening, but I get a kick out of watching mine bounce like the old Willy's Jeeps you see in old videos. I love my Sawback, but have you considered a SCX10 for the kid? My daughter loves her Deadbolt and you can pick up a RTR for around $250.
Thanks for the reply. I won't get another scx10. I've given axial enough of my money and they haven't changed a thing since 2010.

I like the open body of the sawback, but I'll do more research.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
Thanks for the reply. I won't get another scx10. I've given axial enough of my money and they haven't changed a thing since 2010.

I like the open body of the sawback, but I'll do more research.
I went to a comp over the weekend in Oklahoma. Before we left a bunch of us went out for a fun crawl. After 2 hours of beating on this poor thing I was even more impressed with it than I already was. I literally tried to kill it. I wanted to see just what it would take to break something. A 4' droop off a sheer cliff bent the front bumper slightly and that's the only thing that got hurt throughout all the bashing on this poor ol' feller. Still running all the plastic axle pats too.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have to say I've driven two SawBacks and was some what impressed by both very smooth and very quiet. But not enough to go out and buy one. I hope the new Komodo has improved the steering angle its a major issue IMO on the stock SawBack. For the time being I'll be giving my money to Axial if I'm adding a new rig.

Good luck there's nothing like enjoying a hobby as a family, that time is priceless.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

I have used my sawback quite a bit....my first crawler, I started racing back in the early 90's and like most people life happened, kids and other grown up stuff....now at 50 I bought the sawback. Now I still do not know much about Gmade, so this may be way off base, but parts availability are the only thing that would worry me. I have not had to do one thing to mine and I have driven it quit a bit....SEVERAL dozen packs in it, but they are very easy miles, really crawling and light trail running. If it was me and I was buying for a little one....and I did years ago....I would want something that if need be I could run to the LHS and get this or that. I am pretty far from a Horizon fan but they do have great support and product availability out there.

All that said the sawback seems like a pretty well made car, but I am not sure the limitations of its leaf spring design might take some of the fun out of the car for a small one.

I would also say I do like my car a great deal but quiet is something I would not call them....there is quite a bit of gear noise still.
Remington1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
I bought my daughter a Wraith Spawn kit and put a 35T motor in it. My only mistake was going light on the servo which was replaced with a larger one. With the 2.2s it takes a beating. Note the Barbie head. Deadbolt in the background is mine and the youngest is starting to drive.

Nice pic man. This is exactly how we are when go out. Heat wave has us sidelined at the moment.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I hope the new Komodo has improved the steering angle its a major issue IMO on the stock SawBack.
According to the rcMart comparison the steering angle is not as good as the SCX10

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have the original scx10 thats all stock and a sawback, my nine uear old son has a honcho scx10 and he literally beats that truck ever day and nothing has broken yet! I have a 45turn intergy lath motor with axial 20t pinion and rc4wd 1.9 XL mud slingers so it has torque power and grip and it still holds up to him. I not rock crawl im a trail mud sand driver so im easy on my rc trucks. My little dude can find the easiest hill and literally full throttle wheelie it roll down hills never letting off the trigger and that scx10 just keeps coming back for more
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I like my Ascender and it's easy to change body to something like Deadbolt, Jeep, etc and put Barbie head on Deadbolt driver. Great to get the kids involved as a family!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just bought my 4yo a Komodo. We will see how it works out.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So testing the Komodo without the body and the 4yo says "you can't get me" so I am chasing her around with her rig and she thinks it is my SCX10 chasing her. Too funny.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Just bought my 4yo a Komodo. We will see how it works out.
Nice congratulations and keep us updated.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Durability for child? Also how about the Komodo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem Child Vengeance Axial Wraith 62 10-31-2015 07:25 PM
Child Labor in China gregrocks90046 Chit Chat 11 02-22-2013 06:50 AM
how to keep 20month old child in wagon? PEDEcrawlerguy Chit Chat 10 06-29-2012 11:34 AM
Child labor Cloak Chit Chat 10 12-20-2006 01:27 PM
Project: Problem Child mrwonderful Tamiya TLT Crawlers 12 04-09-2005 05:48 PM