Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Komodo came in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Steven's Komodo Build.

Had a surprise waiting for me today at the office. Ill post up more pics this weekend when I start the build. My wheels and tires also arrived today along with the kit. Went with Ottsix Voodoo KLR's, SSD wheels and Ottsix 2 stage foams. Looking at the kit, it all looks to be high quality. I cant wait to start the build.
Attached Images

Last edited by GravelDuster; 11-06-2015 at 04:45 PM.
GravelDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Komodo came in!

Daughter's came in yesterday. Need to build it up for Christmas. Looking at the videos, buy yourself some light shock oil. Pretty bouncy with shocks included from the videos I watched.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yeah I noticed that. Rcsparks put a video on youtube, he swapped to 110mm King Shocks, made the truck look much better. I'm not a fan of the Kings personally but I may swap the stockers out for some proline scalers.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quick size comparison between the stock Gmade MT-1903 and the Ottsix Voodoo KLR. The Voodoo is a much bigger tire and should crawl better than the stock set-up. The wheels and tires included in the kit seem to be a nice compound, just a tad too small IMO. They are also EXTREMELY light when mounted on the rim. If you plan to run the stock wheels and tires lead weight is a must.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got some more goodies in last night. All of the machined parts seem to be of very high quality. Also ordered the stainless steel hex hardware set.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I got wrapped up in my build and didn't take any pics. Everything went together really nice. I'm impressed with the quality of the kit thus far.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I spent much of the day building. Just starting the frame build. Observations so far:
  • Why do all the kits have plastic transmissions?
  • I hate Philips head screws. Used up much of my stainless hardware.
  • Stock foams are a new low, not even a donut of foam.
  • Tires are scale size but very thin and poorly made. Will use Trepadors off the Deadbolt.
  • Instructions are good, a few mistakes but not bad.
  • good build quality.
  • Many parts a step up from an Axial but not all.

I am sure upgrades are in order. There are too many plastic parts that should be metal. I will reserve jugement till it is run. For the price of the kit the parts should be of higher quality. An Ascender is a better buy IMO.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelDuster View Post
I got wrapped up in my build and didn't take any pics. Everything went together really nice. I'm impressed with the quality of the kit thus far.
Can't wait to hear your review of the Voodoo's, that tire and wheel combo will look sweet!

As for upgrades, did you get the zero Ackerman knuckles? The stock setup doesn't seem to give alot of steering.

One thing that worried me about the kit was how small some of the bearings are......time will tell if they hold up or not.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So went to the hobby store and what did I see, a Komodo sitting on the counter! Talked with the guy for a while, his complaints were similar to mine but he likes the Gmade crawlers and says they hold up well. He gave me a couple of tips:

Use the shock pistons with 4 holes.
The shocks were still over dampened with 30wt silicone oil so I bought some 20wt.

Hopefully I can get some time to build without the daughter around and do some testing.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I agree with the above complaints. The Phillips hardware sucks and is stupid they include that now a days. I did swap it all out to hex head which made the build much easier.

The shock are not my favorite, but I had a set of Proline shocks laying around so those went on.

I did go with the zero ackerman knuckles and CVDs to get more steering angle.

The plastic is of a higher quality that Axials, which is good.

One HUGE thing I love about this truck is NOTHING threads into plastic. All of the bolts attach on the other side with a locknut.

I do dislike the fact that the tranny gears are plastic, but I haven't ready many issues with durability. If all else fails how hard could it be to bolt in an SCX tranny?

MY ESC and motor haven't arrived yet but so far the truck seems very solid. Everything fit together nicely and there is no slop in the drive train. The flex is good (slightly less than stock because of the shorter proline shocks). The steering angle is great, but it sucks you have to buy extra parts to get it. Overall I'm very pleased with this truck. Hopefully soon I can get out and drive it.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I used 20w silicone oil in the shocks and it works much better than the videos of the stock setup or a Komodo I saw at the hobby shop with 30w oil. Mine is built and runs good with 2S and a 35t motor. Using a lot of parts already on hand, that is the benefit of building a slow scale rig. I started to paint, ran out of black for the bed so back to the store for more. I hate painting lexan, cleaned up the body and it still doesn't stick well.. I really need an air brush.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I ran a castle 3800 kv setup on 2s in my sawback and had no issues with the trans , they are pretty strong
fullsizecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Got it wired up with a Holmes Hobbies ESC and the Stubby Puller 2200kv. Super smooth. I can wait to get out and run it. Hopefully the weather clears up soon.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
I spent much of the day building. Just starting the frame build. Observations so far:
  • Why do all the kits have plastic transmissions?
  • I hate Philips head screws. Used up much of my stainless hardware.
  • Stock foams are a new low, not even a donut of foam.
  • Tires are scale size but very thin and poorly made. Will use Trepadors off the Deadbolt.
  • Instructions are good, a few mistakes but not bad.
  • good build quality.
  • Many parts a step up from an Axial but not all.

I am sure upgrades are in order. There are too many plastic parts that should be metal. I will reserve jugement till it is run. For the price of the kit the parts should be of higher quality. An Ascender is a better buy IMO.
Thanks for input, I too hate phillips head screws...hey manufacturers it's 2015 hex head hardware is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelDuster View Post
I agree with the above complaints. The Phillips hardware sucks and is stupid they include that now a days. I did swap it all out to hex head which made the build much easier.

The shock are not my favorite, but I had a set of Proline shocks laying around so those went on.

I did go with the zero ackerman knuckles and CVDs to get more steering angle.

The plastic is of a higher quality that Axials, which is good.

One HUGE thing I love about this truck is NOTHING threads into plastic. All of the bolts attach on the other side with a locknut.

I do dislike the fact that the tranny gears are plastic, but I haven't ready many issues with durability. If all else fails how hard could it be to bolt in an SCX tranny?

MY ESC and motor haven't arrived yet but so far the truck seems very solid. Everything fit together nicely and there is no slop in the drive train. The flex is good (slightly less than stock because of the shorter proline shocks). The steering angle is great, but it sucks you have to buy extra parts to get it. Overall I'm very pleased with this truck. Hopefully soon I can get out and drive it.
Sounds and looks very nice, keep the updates coming. Love that it uses metal locknuts instead of plastic everywhere. It would be hard to have lower quality plastic than Axial.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

How does the body integrate with that bumper?

Last edited by rc2000; 11-20-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: .
rc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Komodo came in! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
komodo 2.2 bamaboy1992 General Crawlers 6 09-20-2011 10:03 PM
Komodo tutit 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-06-2009 06:04 PM