Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: General opinion on the Gmade drawback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default General opinion on the Gmade drawback

Looking for plus and minus with the gmade drawback. And peoples general opinion on it.
Compared to let's say a SCX10, Ascender, TF2

Tnx
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: General opinion on the Gmade drawback

I love my Sawback. It's a great crawler. Very durable and easy to modify without spending lots of money. If you're in to lots of power and speed, it may not be the greatest choice, but for technical crawling mine does stuff I have yet to see a SCX10 do. The drawbacks are (imo) the stock skid hangs way to low, the stock drive shafts are total junk and the steering isn't all that great till you modify it. Run it with a 35T or more on 2s and the leafs will last a long time. Some guy's run anti-wrap links to save the leafs when running more power. It's been almost a year since I got mine. I've run it more than my other 3 crawlers combined and haven't had a single problem.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I bought mine when they first came out and have been abusing it since and it keeps taking it, driveshafts need to be replaced asap, other than that it is a very capable leafer that suprises me about everytime I take it out, will it go where my modified scx go no way but it will hold its own again other leafers
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

all being said and done I rate this little rig as one of the best leaf kits out there, very capable right out of the box.

now down to your question I will base mine on 2 levels

out of box
minus
-poor steering
-uni's in driveshafts are poor
-tyres are crap

plus
-very scale look to it if you want to go down the scaling path
-lots of options out there to upgrade
-very capable and on par with an out of box axial or ascender

upgraded
plus
- you are only limited to your wallet in the capability of this rig all the minuses can be upgraded to be made far superior than an upgraded ascender or axial, I placed second overall in state titles with mine and only came second due to driver error.
-seriously awesome fun

minus
-haven't found one yet
steamboatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I own several Axials over the years and Ascenders. I've seen the Sawback in person, but have not owned or driven one. I would take the Ascender over any Axial any day and also over a Sawback, but Sawback is second place.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

My opinion.... There isn't a drawback so buy a sawback!!

I own a Ascender, it is a perfect linked crawler, better than the SCX10 I owned. Now that I also own a Sawback, I certainly wouldn't think about selling my Ascender... Instead, I'll take both out! The Ascender imo should be built up to a Class 2, fully linked suspension etc. The Sawback imo should be built up to a Class 1.

I've never owned a TF2, or Trail Stomper.. But just in general and reading reviews the Sawback wins out over them. Right now IMO The Sawback and Ascender are the two top 1/10 crawlers out.
BrotherAndySLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Only drawback to either the Sawback or Komodo is the Philips screws. It is a well made rig and I may get another.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

I love my two Sawbacks. I would take one over an SCX10 or TF2 any day of the week. I haven't had a chance to run my Ascender yet so I can't comment on it.

The Sawback is an awesome rig that will surprise you with its crawling abilities. It is the most fun crawler out of any I've driven.

The cons are few:
Phillips hardware (easily solved with an SS hex head screw kit)
Leafs bend when you beat on it (keep spare leafs on hand and make or buy links to prevent this if you desire)
Aftermarket support is very limited, but it doesn't need much support. It's awesome out of the box.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I agree with what a few have said about aftermarket support. With that being said I've ordered from this site a few times and they are very responsive to any questions and are quick getting your parts out the door.

RC Run – Your Premium RC hobby retailer.
rc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Only drawback to either the Sawback or Komodo is the Philips screws. It is a well made rig and I may get another.
ANd that is easily fixed by replacing all screws. McMaster-Carr You'll always have spares.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc2000 View Post
I agree with what a few have said about aftermarket support. With that being said I've ordered from this site a few times and they are very responsive to any questions and are quick getting your parts out the door.

RC Run – Your Premium RC hobby retailer.
I have dealt with RCRUN.COM a few times, great place to go for all you Gmade & JunFac needs. If you have a larger order like a kit or order a lot & contact him he will give you a great deal buy throwing in some hop up's. He is a honest person who treats his customers right.
bill mossor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:30 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I've also ordered from Junfac Korea and it took a week to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

These SawbackS dont need much. Another good upgrade are stock scx10 shocks w/o springs and a heavy oil.

I'm very impressed with my sawback. It's a different animal then a scx10. It's been very dependable so far but i don't beat on mine like some do with let's say a scx10.

With leaf springs and no slipper clutch, you have to take it a little easier. Still very capable. I'd put my truck up against a similar equipped scx10 any day of the week
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I brought my sawback crawling with a friend's lightly modded scx and it seemed to side hill much better even with my hardbody vs his lexan body. And it really didn't do anything else much better than my sawback either, maybe in breakover but that's about it.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I have a Komodo now, and used to have a scx-10. The Komodo is a very capable truck which only need to upgrade the drive shafts, those plastics units aren't really good. But that is the only needed upgraded, when build the right way it's very durable because it haze less parts in the driveline then a scx.
It is more a bash scaler then a real scale truck like a rc4wd car, I am driving it with a 17,5t brushless and it drives super smooth.
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #16

I agree these are great rigs. I have had 2 for almost 2 years. One pretty stock and the other very modded. The stock one always surprises me.

drawbacks
tires suck
needs JUNFAC center shafts
Steerings very poor

Simple upgrades on my stocker addressed these issues. Most amazing thing that I recently did on both rigs is to move top shock mount back towards middle of rig putting shock at a 45 degree angle....Softened from front and MUCH more articulation....I have done lots of mods on my other one but on the stocker just moving the shocks is truly amazing....GREAT and durable rigs......I am running 35t TEKIN motor and went up 2 teeth on pinion.....lots of fun...
konasubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Just got my Sawback and had a Komodo for a while. Out of the box the screws, tires, shocks, and steering leave a lot to be desired. The biggest problem if you own a SCX10 or ascender is setup and learning to drive a leaf spring rig. They really aren't cheaper either. A month in to the Sawback and I am likely well over $400 and I already had the servo, ESC, motor, wheels, and receiver. Not to mention that I picked up the Sawback for $210.

Forget the money though, this rig is fun and completely different from the coil over crawlers. Yes it is way different than the Komodo or Sawback LS. I'm going to spend the next few weeks getting to know it but it's a blast so far.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote

General opinion on the Gmade drawback - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The General holycaveman Videos! 0 10-29-2014 12:40 AM
The General Mäsi 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 07-03-2013 11:41 AM
The General CoreyHall 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 08-28-2011 10:51 PM
General Waterproofing Sith Lord General Crawlers 8 08-31-2010 01:34 AM
The General 1.9 Build AxelRod 1.9 Scale Rigs 29 05-14-2009 04:12 PM