Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Sawback Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sawback Christmas

ah thanks man, exactly what i wanted to know. cant wait to see this done!
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Alright small update here, mounted my fun country's to my landie wheels, trimmed the grill and front fenders, and mounted the sawback front bumper back up. Still need lights, badges and to order the hardtop/roof rack from remodelex, still need to do some trimming and sanding also, plus when I'm done with everything else a new paint job.

dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Those tires and wheels look good. They fill the fender wells nicely without looking too big and they aren't the typical wagon wheels commonly seen on yota rigs.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! I love the fun country's, they are a great mid size 1.55" tire, taller than the dirt grabbers I had on it before, but not too big.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Got myself a cap. Also got some shackles and chains for recovery, have to drill the bumper for the shackles then all of it will be installed. Plus I got emblems, mirrors, and lights, just need to make some light buckets and the headlights will be installed.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Added shackles and the chain, still have a lot of detail stuff to finish up but it's coming together, it looks like something I would drive 1:1.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

thats awesome the 1.55s look great too. i always thought the sawback was huge scale wise, and building one like yours wouldnt work. until you clarified that the body fits i thought i was just stuck with the willys.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Yeah it makes a big willys but a perfect hilux, the tires even tuck enough to be a class 1 rig. It's not done yet and will continue to update this thread when I change something. The next thing on the list is new foams, the rig is a little heavy for the stock foams.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

well i certainly cant wait to see more, and seriously after seeing the 1.5s fitting that well with the sawback hilux im out of my mind lol
Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

So I noticed the foams were way to soft for how heavy this truck has become with the hardbody and topper, so I made my own two stage foams out of the original sawback foams and 1.55 dirt grabber foams, trimmed the g made foams and wrapped them around the dg foams and shoved them into my fun country's, seems to be working great.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I decided to order an axial 27t motor because the 45 turn while nice for hard crawls is just too slow to trail with, I'm also debating making a new skidplate and using a different tranny, just not sure which one to use, kind of want a two speed so I can have a true poor man's tf2, but I might just go with an axial single speed, or even keep the stocker and just do an aluminum case.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Finally got it out on the trail today, this pic reminds me that I really need some light buckets.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyas1989 View Post
I decided to order an axial 27t motor because the 45 turn while nice for hard crawls is just too slow to trail with, I'm also debating making a new skidplate and using a different tranny, just not sure which one to use, kind of want a two speed so I can have a true poor man's tf2, but I might just go with an axial single speed, or even keep the stocker and just do an aluminum case.
Oh im happy you posted this! I dont know what is needed to change to a two speed or even a front mounted motor with a transfer case (which I really want so I can use an interior once I get my hilux body). Youve got one of my favorite sawbacks. Ergo, I will constantly be posting on your thread hoping to catch any info you throw out there... lol
Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Happy to be a test dummy, lol. My plan was to keep the mid mounted tranny for now and maybe use the rc4wd two speed meant for the scx10 on a custom skidplate that I will make from a plate of delrin, since I'm making the skid I can drill out the pattern needed for the scx tranny and just mount it in the same spot as the stocker. I used the tinted windows because I wasn't sure I would be able to squeeze in an interior, could probably do from the dashboard up though. For a front mount motor I bet with some skill you could use the tf2 setup with the front mount motor and the mid mounted transfer case, it would take some work though. On another note I had the truck out again last night in some pretty rough spots and it amazed me, it's a little top heavy but the extra weight really helps it grip in some crazy climbs, my lightweight scx based build didn't do nearly as well, hopefully some beef tubes and aluminum c hubs and rear lockouts will help with the top heaviness.

This is the tranny I'm thinking of using, it's not front mount but it is 2 speed.
http://store.rc4wd.com/AX2-2-Speed-T...ho_p_2463.html

Also my girlfriend is letting me use her dslr camera and I should finally have some decent pics up tomorrow after I go trailing.

Last edited by dubyas1989; 03-23-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

so the weather cooperated and i got out on the rocks today,
since my usual spot was still flooded,

i went around the dam and found this,

looked like fun.

nice made it quite a ways, but i kept going.

so i like my new spot and the view behind me was amazing, plus its two minutes from my house.

the old sawback really crawled well today and i didnt even feel like breaking out my scx cherokee, i was having too much fun with the sawback.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Nice build. Any updates? I think some 6 lugs would look great for the scale factor, I hate having 6 lugs with my Willys body. What radio are you using?
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

ffunny you should ask, im sitting down right now to rig up a cms from the stock servo plate, also ordered some beef tubes, metal spring shackle spacers, metal driveshafts, and the anti wrap bar kit, after extensive testing and bashing thats what i needed to replace. also pulled the cap off the bed for now, will reattach with magnets soon. and once im done with the cms ill post some pics of the mod and what the truck has been up to in the meantime.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Sweet, I've been going back and forth between upgrading my Scx and sawback and just recently made a new center skid for the sawback. I've had the anti-wrap kit in my shopping cart several times, but had some all thread and traxxas rod ends laying around so I just made some.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

yeah it definitly needs a new skid, it gets hung up on everything, i would just mke the anti wrap bars too but for 9$ i think ill buy them, plus the gmad set looks great. any pics of your skid? i am always torn between upgrading this guy and finishing my cmx build too, lol.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I don't have any pictures, but it's nothing special. I took a piece of flat aluminum cut wider than the chassis rails and folded the sides up the outside of the chassis and drilled holes to match the chassis. The front and back I folded up under the chassis instead of just cutting flat and notched out spaces for the driveshafts. I drilled the 4 holes for the transmission to mount as far forward as possible with the motor facing the front. Mines still just a roller and I have the stock electronics (engine) thing so I cut half of the flat part where the esc goes to get the motor further forward. Hope that all makes sense.

Sawback Christmas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Sawback 06ToasterBox G-Made Sawback 86 01-17-2020 01:27 PM
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 09:04 PM
Non R/c SAWBACK Tinrabbit Chit Chat 0 03-02-2014 08:37 AM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM