Notices

Thread: Gmade CVA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Gmade CVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Verdict? I need another set not made by Gmade!

Sorry for taking so long. But I thought I'd update this. I put the gpm cva in just now. Took it around the yard.

The through pin in the gpm is smaller. Shaft size appears to be the same at the knuckle where the gmade ones break though.

I'm disappointed in the gpm ones to be honest. They bind at full steer worse than the gmade ones. I'll be switching it back and keeping the gpm for a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durfeec View Post
Sorry for taking so long. But I thought I'd update this. I put the gpm cva in just now. Took it around the yard.

The through pin in the gpm is smaller. Shaft size appears to be the same at the knuckle where the gmade ones break though.

I'm disappointed in the gpm ones to be honest. They bind at full steer worse than the gmade ones. I'll be switching it back and keeping the gpm for a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! I looked at my sawback yesterday and noticed both CVAs are destroyed. Other one must have broke after I noticed the first was out. I may just return to the dogbones for durability. Thinking twice about dropping another $22 on these again. Wonder if any Vanquish VVDs or even modified Axial XR10 CVDs could work?
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
...I do have a secret that I've tried to share with people for 20 years now, but nobody has yet to listen. I use VersaChem caliper grease on everything. Grease the diffs, tranny and cv's with it. It sticky, so it stays where you put it for the most part, and after a year on my original Sawback the diff gears have no wear at all. I also keep a close eye on all CV joints in all of my rigs. Keep them clean and greased! This grease will make a stock Sawback shock dampen like an oil shock too.
Nice climb and roll pics, check the driveshafts while you can.

Checking that grease, I have a small amount of iirc Permatex brake caliper lube in a tube and something similar called Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant (great stuff recommended by mechanic friend) but have not used either in RC applications...hmmm...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Anyone have any updates on how these CVA's are doing? Gmade/Junfac or GPM or otherwise?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I bought some gpm front cvd's that are supposed to be 5mm wider and the matching back axles. they say they are made of spring steels I'll give them a shot. I haven't had any problems with the junfac cvd's but mine has been sitting for far too long so they don't get tortured on a regular basis.
The main reason that I decided to try the gpm's was because of the slight extra width. I had a rubbing issue on my sidewall from the steering rod and I'm hoping the extra width will help. They are on the slow boat so when they get here I'll install them and see how they work and report back.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Well, couldn't decide what to get so I ended up getting the GMade/Junfac CVA for my Sawback Sport and both GPM and GMade/Junfac Long CVA (Komodo CVA) for my Sawback 4LS. I'm currently working on my 4LS version of the Sawback, so I'll compare the 2 different CVA's when I get them in.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, if you drive at all hard the CVA's are a weak spot for sure. I have broken Gmade/Junfac and GPM within a week of getting them. Wish there was someone else, Vanquish, making CVA's that would actually not break. Until than I will keep looking at options to replace the axles completely and most likely switch back to the dog bones so I can stop swapping out CVA's.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I still haven't broken the stockers but I did have to clean up the threads on one with a die but it still works fine. I just thought that I'd give the gpm cvd's a shot . I'm in the middle of some home repairs so I'm hoping to get the truck back on my trails by next weekend.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I'm done with the chassis on my build, but still running dog-bones because CVA's not in yet. Won't be getting around to the body until the weather improves.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

So... That Gmade Long CVA did not work out on my Sawback 4LS.
I don't know if it's manufacturing defect or they never tested it with their Aluminum Hubs + zero ackerman knuckle. Left side fits. Right side (Passenger side) DOES NOT.

It sticks out too far and I can't put the knuckle on. It's off by about 1-2mm. I can't push the CVA into the axle any further either.

Is the Long CVA kit supposed to have equal length shafts? I know the regular ones are 63mm and 67mm. These long ones are both equal length. Maybe GMade has it all wrong on their site and the long CVA's aren't compatible with the 4LS?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
So... That Gmade Long CVA did not work out on my Sawback 4LS.
I don't know if it's manufacturing defect or they never tested it with their Aluminum Hubs + zero ackerman knuckle. Left side fits. Right side (Passenger side) DOES NOT.

It sticks out too far and I can't put the knuckle on. It's off by about 1-2mm. I can't push the CVA into the axle any further either.

Is the Long CVA kit supposed to have equal length shafts? I know the regular ones are 63mm and 67mm. These long ones are both equal length. Maybe GMade has it all wrong on their site and the long CVA's aren't compatible with the 4LS?
Take it apart. Likely assembled with axles on wrong side.
rampart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampart View Post
Take it apart. Likely assembled with axles on wrong side.
Nope. They are the right side. I tried the cva on both sides. Same result for both. Put the dog bones back in for the time being.

Wouldn't have made a difference which side as they're the same length.

Last edited by soze; 03-19-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I actually has the same problem with my Komodo at one point. Oddly enough I got annoyed at a certain point and decided to attempt to install them one more time before bitching at junfac about the CVA's and they all the sudden fit correctly, was quite odd and had no reason I could think of to change. It did take some finesse to get it seated.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
I actually has the same problem with my Komodo at one point. Oddly enough I got annoyed at a certain point and decided to attempt to install them one more time before bitching at junfac about the CVA's and they all the sudden fit correctly, was quite odd and had no reason I could think of to change. It did take some finesse to get it seated.
Hmmm... Well I know it's definitely seated to a point, because the notched part is definitely catching and preventing free spinning of the axle shaft. So you say you were able to push yours even further in for some odd reason after a while?

I will compare the GPM with the Gmade ones when I get them in just to see if the GPM ones use different lengths for each side, and whether they fit any better.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Well I'll be.... Thanks for the encouragement to try it again malickie.... They fit this time around. When I first tried it again, they still didn't fit in all the way. So what I did was force rotate the drivetrain/axle a little and that did the trick!

This side always fit in just fine.... you actually have to pull it out a little even though it can go in even further.

This was the problem side... I wasn't able to push it in enough to have the knuckle screw holes line up to secure the knuckle in place. Now it's all the way in and secured.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Yup, pretty much happened that way with mine as well. Very odd issue for sure.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Alright, got my GPM CVD's in today.... and now I have to figure out what I want to do.

These GPM CVD's are for the Komodo which is same as the Sawback 4LS. Notice how the 2 CVD shafts are different in length? I think this is how it's supposed to be. The question is do I take the GMade ones back out and use these instead? Or do I just leave as is and be happy that I finally got the GMade ones to fit.

I would feel better with the GPM ones in there though, since the GMade ones give little leeway on the passenger's side, and I'm afraid of possible binding at full steering angles.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I've had both installed, the GPM ones look good but I did have the pin on the inside of those snap, also had the pin stay intact and the shaft part break.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've had both installed, the GPM ones look good but I did have the pin on the inside of those snap, also had the pin stay intact and the shaft part break.
I wonder if it's possible to mix and match, or if it'd make any difference.

I'll still pull them all out to take comparison pictures.... and then go from there as far as test fitting and seeing what I want to put in.

I'm only running 2S with 27T, so not too much power.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Glad to hear you got the Junfac shafts in, prolly little stiff to go into the locker due to the extra engagement of the inner axle shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Alright, got my GPM CVD's in today.... and now I have to figure out what I want to do.

These GPM CVD's are for the Komodo which is same as the Sawback 4LS. Notice how the 2 CVD shafts are different in length? I think this is how it's supposed to be. The question is do I take the GMade ones back out and use these instead? Or do I just leave as is and be happy that I finally got the GMade ones to fit.

I would feel better with the GPM ones in there though, since the GMade ones give little leeway on the passenger's side, and I'm afraid of possible binding at full steering angles.
Run whats in there now (Junfac) and keep the GPM as trail spares.

Quote:
Gunnar Pins, pm userid Gunnar to get some nice spring steel pins made to fit Hopefully somebody gets stronger CVDs for the Sawback soon, email Vanquish Products.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Gmade CVA - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cva vs universals nothinbutv8s Newbie General 3 07-30-2009 06:37 AM
Axial AX10 Scorpion CVA Driveshafts t9dragon Axial AX-10 Scorpion 33 01-19-2008 02:09 AM