Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sawback time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sawback time!

I've had the parts for awhile, but I finally put the Holmes Hobbies hv500v1 gears/pins in my 46kg JX servo, so that will be bolted to the Sawback's front axle when it's ready for electronics.

After much deliberation, I decided to make the belly skid from stainless steel instead of aluminum. I scored a big scrap of 3/32" stainless plate (I think it was 316, I scotch-brited off the markings before I traced my pattern) and started cutting with a jigsaw. 5 blades later I said heck with it and finished with a thin cutoff wheel on the die grinder.

I then used my makeshift brake (which looks an awful lot like my vice, a block of uhmw, and a 2lb hammer) to put the 4 bends in the plate... holy crap those short outer bends put up a fight! On the plus side, I'm not at all worried about its durability, my kids can stand on it without the plate deforming and a hard swing with a sledge won't dent it!

Next up I mounted the cab mounts upside down, inboard of the frame rails as my new skid plate mounts. I used some spacers off of the parts trees to go inside of the c-channel frame which pushed the cab mounts in far enough to drop down flush with the bottom of the frame rails. With the motor mounted as far out as it can go in its slots, it clears the new skid mounts with room to spare and it only gets better if the motor moves inward. I'm 100% mounting the transmission with the motor on the front too.

So that's all mounted with button head screws, I need to get a different counter-sink bit since apparently there are a few different "standard" angles... and I've been using the wrong one for metric hardware all along! Next up will probably be body mounts, I sure wish that the Vaterra K5 body hadn't been pre-drilled, I may look into adapting the stock Ascender rear mount.
TheLetterJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

After perusing through more build threads, I've got some new ideas.

Being that I recently yanked the interior out of my Wraith, I feel it would be the right thing to do to put a full interior in this car. Obviously, Dinky RC's purpose built Vaterra K5 interior influenced that decision, and the Wraith seats will fit nicely in there.

Going with the full interior will require a little creativity to get the transmission out of the way, but I think I've finally found the solution with MST's front motor kit (converts the CMX to a CFX.) I've seen the Sawback trans mounted up front along with a divorced transfer case, but while it looked to have got the job done, it just didn't have that "looks like it came from the factory" look. I really wanted to fall in love with SSD's scale SCX10 transmission, but the front driveshaft being on the driver's/left side is a deal breaker for my square body Chevy. GCM's transfer case could be assembled with the output on either side, but I started experiencing a little sticker shock considering that it's not a bolt-in solution, so I continued exploring my options. An RC4WD single speed R3 trans and Hammer t-case could certainly be made to work, but for whatever reason, I just wasn't feeling it. When I came across OSRC's Sawback axle'd CFX, the lightbulb finally turned on for me (I sure do get a lot of inspiration from you OS!) OS was kind enough to check some dimensions for me, confirming that the CFX and Sawback chassis' are the same width where it counts, so I think I can take it from there!

The divorced t-case will allow me to position the motor/trans and t-case in their most ideal locations and just build an intermediate shaft to suit. Of course the front output is on the passenger/right side too, the t-case *should* be low enough to clear the Dinky interior, and the price seems very reasonable at about $75.

Being this late in the year, I'll probably put those 2 items (MST transmission and Dinky interior) on my Christmas wish list, but there's a good chance I'll throw the trans on my order (with my son's Christmas present: Gmade BOM kit) the next time Ebay has a 15% off coupon.

I'm pretty excited to see mixed & matched parts start playing together in a manner that looks like it was meant to be!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Still no photos? I'm anxious to see this build...even the parts you have gathered!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Since my 1:1 has 16" Fox triple bypass shocks, I've been on the hunt for something fitting for this build. Scale bypass shocks aren't really a common/readily available item, so I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a set of 4) 100mm RC4WD King shocks with 3d printed quadruple bypass sleeves for sale right here on RCC! Those will work! Now, I'm a Fox man through & through, but beggars can't be choosers here. I know the RC4WD shocks leak like a sieve, but I'll throw some x-rings in them and just enough oil to keep things sliding, and that'll be good enough for this car. Those familiar with the stock Sawback shocks know that they don't provide much travel (about 15mm) so the 100mm Kings will double that, while still bolting right in place of the stockers. Depending on how much travel the leafs are capable of RELIABLY cycling, and where it sits in its travel, I may move the stock shock towers up a little bit.

Mrs. Clause missed Dinky RC's black Friday 50% off sale by a couple minutes (didn't notice the difference in time zone) but they were awesome enough to honor it anyway! Full interior should be on its way soon!

The MST front motor kit already arrived from RCMart... but I'm not supposed to know about that either
JatoTheRipper likes this.

Sawback time! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things to upgrade/watch out for Sawback 4LS & Sawback Sport soze G-Made Sawback 2 02-28-2017 01:46 AM
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 10:04 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 09:06 PM
maybe now ill spend less time on the lid and more time on the rubber evan03 Axial Wraith 2 02-18-2013 09:08 PM
Its motor time!!And esc time as well,,,,ADVICE PLZ Speed Metal Army RC4WD Bully 11 03-15-2010 11:23 PM