Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: "The Ugly Jeep"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default "The Ugly Jeep"

Ok so this is a place holder for my next project.

I'm looking to do my first really "scale" build. The idea is to take a sawback (imagine that. In a sawback thread as well) and make this...

See more of this beauty here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFLoUHpK9_g&t=326s

The plan is to try replicate the wear & tear, the welds, the patches. Its perhaps ambitious given I've never tried a lot of the techniques I know I'm going to need but you've gotta site aim high right?

The kit will be ordered in a few days, i'm waiting for some ebay offers to activate, but anyway so far I have these:

And now to the first (well 2 actually) of many questions for all you knowledgeable people.....

1. What suggestions do you have for getting the slightly wider wheelbase?
2. What suggestions do you have for getting the slightly higher ride height?

Ideas and recommendations welcome.

Cheers

Tachi
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "The Ugly Jeep"

Quick and dirty for wider wheelbase is extended hexes.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I hate to say it, but you just missed a 15% off ebay coupon yesterday, maybe black friday or cyber monday will still produce a good discount?

How wide do you want your track width? I have 600 SLW hubs right now and it's a bit too wide for my body at about 9 3/4", I'll be switching to .475" hubs to get 9 1/2" track width. If those are the typical Chinese/Ebay wheels, they likely came with .350 hubs, which should put you at roughly 9 1/4" wide.

How much more height are you looking for? Tamiya Bruiser shackles will give you 1/8" lift, using the Bruiser spring hangers too will net another 1/8" but look odd if used in the stock hanger position. You may need to make some spring perch adjustments to get your castor/pinion angles where you need them. Combined with the added height of 4.75" tires and a flat belly skid, I ended up with 3" under the skid.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

If that driver figure is HM forces, he's a perfect scale, tho' mine as a driver had to loose a foot! There are some spring hangers and shackles in Shapeways, but I can't remember who has them. Looking forward to this build..I may have a spare body if you need one.. I'll have a look when the wind stops!
M and M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to all for the feedback so far.

Kit was ordered yesterday and will be here Friday. Need to get some other bits ordered before work commences though part, plasticard, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
Quick and dirty for wider wheelbase is extended hexes.
That was my thoughts but wasn't how much I need and if longer shafts would be the way to go. thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
How wide do you want your track width?
How much more height are you looking for?
Short answer is I don't know yet. really going to depend on look and feel when I get the truck and start to get things put together. Thanks for the input and stats though I'll bare that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M and M View Post
If that driver figure is HM forces, he's a perfect scale, tho' mine as a driver had to loose a foot! There are some spring hangers and shackles in Shapeways, but I can't remember who has them. Looking forward to this build..I may have a spare body if you need one.. I'll have a look when the wind stops!
He's the Italian version of HM armed forces from a few years ago - "HERO FORCE" (said in big booming manly voice of course ) Did a lot of digging regarding heights of figures as wanted to get the scale right. The 10" figures def seem to be the best scale fit.

Thanks for the tip on the hangers. Definately gonna be doing some 3D printing.

I hope I won't need s pare body but you never know and I appreciate you looking - when the wind dies down of course

Rough Plans so far include:

Need to paint and weather the chassis/ axles etc.

I intend to uses some of the "OSSUM" 3D parts scaled up (aprox 140-% I think) . In particular the intention is to print a grill and inner fenders/engine bay (although the thinner chassis compared to the real Willys makes that a little difficult without some hacking/compromises in lines/realism around the shock mounts.

If I can do it I want the hood to open and reveal and engine bay but we shall see how viable that is. I modelling everything in my head makes it difficult so I'm looking forward to getting the kit so I can assemble and start to build from there. Whilst I've done some 3d modelling of concepts without the physical kit to see how it all hangs together and make the measurements/changes/parts required.

I need to find the right paints so if anyone has any suggestions for good colour matches for the original red of the Willys and the brown an top please shout

I'm thinking of using the old Tamiya copper spray inside the shell but given the 3D prnted parts/scratch built parts wont be lexan they will need a separate technique or I need some a single approach for the whole body.

I'm still researching the approach I'll take to weathering. Any tips appreciated.

Once again cheers for the comments. Hopefully be able to start mocking some things up over the weekend and get some photos
Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So work has started. Didn't take as many photos as IU meant to but here's a few

Old 12-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

Very cool start to this project!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Happy New year folks! All the best for 2019.

Thanks for the comments Jato I've not done as much as I'd hoped over Festive season due to being hit by a rather nasty dose of the flu.

I've done some more work on the rear end for inner fenders. Overall pretty happy but some lessons learned that I may change later. I've designed it so that it fasten to the chassis and the body sits over the top. That way its easier to redo later.

Assembly is kind of piece by piece affair. Cutting and trimming each piece as I go. Glued in place with super glue till it holds, then each joint is getting redone with epoxy. I need to order some mini servos and start to figure out how to do the foot wells as I'm hoping not to have to have a legless driver figure.

Some edges to trim with the Dremel and then I can move on to fitting the rest of the components (drivetrain/electrics). I might have to do some tweaking but we shall see.

Anyway here's the pics...

Old 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Alittle more work this evening - drivers footwell and dash support

Old 01-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Headlights...

Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Time to commit...

Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Did some hacking to the HM Armed Forces figure to get some extra leg movement. I painted the shoes and clothes 'cause the glowing green plastic was less than wanted ) I got some other clothes from ebay although they are a bit big 'cause they are for a 12" figure not a 10".

Last edited by tachikoma1373; 01-02-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I spent the afternoon/evening adding effects to the body ready for paint. They are designed to reflect the patching etc. you see on the truck. I skipped through the video looking for key pieces and then tried to replicate them. I also opened up the side of the hood to add realism. scraps of lexan were added as patches, edges were scraped, melted, pressed, warped etc. I also re did the foot wells to open up slightly more space so the figure fits without cutting his feet off.

I need to get the dremel out, add some panel lines, bit more scuffing, bangs etc.

next big thing to figure out is the servo's for steering and figure. I ordered some micro servos - should be here Tuesday/Wednesday.

then I need to figure out the roll cage. I considered using the gmade one but the style doesn't match that of the ugly jeep so I'm going to make something

Anyway here's some photos.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

so I hacked apart the 10" action figure, fitted the head servo and listened up key arm joints so the arm will move when on the wheel.

Time to get final parts ordered so I can assemble and check things out before I disassemble and begin the paint process.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Great project!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Now THATS pretty gruesome!! ( I won't mention that he seems overly endowed in the crutch region..Oh! I just did didn't I!)
M and M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Really cool , what you do with the Sawback !

Those printed parts are great!

Whish, I had these possibilities when I built mine...

Regards
Wolf
LRTd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the feedback people. I've found each of your various builds really helpful and inspirational so really appreciate your input and comments.

Here's a little vid of the head working

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqcNBiQCzrU9jPZxmJR2vVqT1E21yA

Now for the steering wheel

I ordered some of the parts tonight - 2 light sets I hope to use to make the front indicators (mounted in a similar way to the headlights) and the rear square brake/indicators (a little knife work and glue will be required for those).

I ordered some 12mm wheel wideners as they were on offer. Not sure of the width will be right but hey they can go in the spares box right. I also got a new receiver (Flysky FS-BS6 6CH).

I going to print a few more 3D parts, in particular there's a CMS on thingiverse I want to try.

I also found some aluminium tube lying around and have started to do the front roll bar. I filled the tube with fine sand for bending and its seems to have worked well.

The one thing that has frustrated me is the loss of the inner fender line that matches the radiator profile. That make sense? The sawback chassis being thinner than the bottom of the grill width unlike a real jeep. Anyway I plan to "box in" the front part of the inner fenders around the lights to create some illusion of that line. You'll see
Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Haha ... looks, like Your future driver says "no,no,no" ...

very well done ...

So, I am excited what will come in the future ...

Regards
Wolf
LRTd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Steering wheel servo fitted...

Little video - https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqcNBiQCzrU9jPZ1hqNT1Ev_GQ1aUg

"The Ugly Jeep" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Extended Trailer Spidernad Scale Videos! 7 04-22-2014 07:08 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10 - Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Full Video Spidernad Scale Videos! 4 11-12-2012 11:23 AM
"Ugly Betty" action shots! dizrack Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 10-27-2009 08:44 AM
Twinset "Ugly" chassis TLT minijosh Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 04-26-2007 09:15 AM