Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: i saw this on xtreme 4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default i saw this on xtreme 4x4

i saw a double triangulated 4 link suspension design on xtreme 4x4 where they were putting it on a poison spider tube crawler. i don't know what to think bout it http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...siondesign.bmp take a look and tell me what you think i am thinking of trying this in an upcoming crawler for me b/c it looks like it might be good. any input would be awesome thanks.
trapt1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It's not as drastic as some but it works fine......

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

if you look closely at the picture i posted the bottom links are between the top links bottom come together at the chassis while the top come together at the axle
Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapt1011
if you look closely at the picture i posted the bottom links are between the top links bottom come together at the chassis while the top come together at the axle

Yeah... Like I said, the setup on The 'Tot isn't as drastic as your image or other setups out there.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

build one and see how the articulation works. thats all we can say. LOL if it works then awsome and if it don't then ohhh well. basicly linking things is simple and very forgiving. allmost any design "works" to some degree.....almost. lol
shagrat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yeah i am planning to integrate this 4 link design into my next crawler so i will post up my opinion of how it works when it is done
Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

it works just fine... it's nothing new I have always ran my links like that
Attached Images

TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:50 PM   #8

This setup is to eliminate the use of a track bar....on 1:1 scale crawler.
avsno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

there is no need for a track bar if you have a 4link and done properly
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

what about the 3 link designs on the 1:1 crawlers that have the thrid link mounted on the bottom links rather than the chassis. What is the point of this and how well would it work on an rc?
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
there is no need for a track bar if you have a 4link and done properly

That is correct
avsno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

A lot of car manu's use a tracbar with a 4 link. I think mainly because they make the links very short. It's true a good 4 link will keep the axle centered with out a tracbar(panhard bar)
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Works great

Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
A lot of car manu's use a tracbar with a 4 link. I think mainly because they make the links very short.
I'll disagree with that. The tracbar or panhard bar is strictly for lateral movement. If the links,nomatter how long or short they are,aren't triangulated enough then a tracbar is required

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
It's true a good 4 link will keep the axle centered with out a tracbar(panhard bar
Yes and no. A good 4 link for what? The 4 link on the front of my Dodge has a trackbar. The only reason the trackbar is there is cuz theres no triangulation in the links. Is it a good set up? For what the intended use of the truck is,yes it works great. Now if it was to be used on a crawler it would be lousy. Longer links with pleanty of triangulation,to eliminate the trackbar,would make it more suited for crawling. With longer links and more triangulation,would this still work as well as it does now? Geometry wise,yes spring rate wise,no. The springs under it now would probly be the wrong choice for crawling but they work fine for a work truck.

Honestly,I feel the car manu's use this set up because it's alot simpler to design and set up. Also the little stright links are easier to work with as far as space under the truck and all the other components.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan
what about the 3 link designs on the 1:1 crawlers that have the thrid link mounted on the bottom links rather than the chassis. What is the point of this and how well would it work on an rc?
It sounds like you're explaining radius arms. or am I misreading something? usually
1:1 crawlers run a 3link with 2 lower links and a wishbone type deal for an upper.
Not a setup i've seen too much tho...
Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal
It sounds like you're explaining radius arms. or am I misreading something? usually
1:1 crawlers run a 3link with 2 lower links and a wishbone type deal for an upper.
Not a setup i've seen too much tho...

Yes it does sound like he's describing a radius arm set up. I've seen a few rigs with this design. One that will probly always remain in my mind is Scott Elingers old green Toyota (Rockstomper). He ran radius arm deals front and rear and they did work. Scott will even attest,they aren't the ideal set up but they do get the job done to a certain degree. There are far better set ups IMHO. This radius arm set up requires a trackbar just like a 4 link with no or not enough triangulation.

Heres a quick pic of roughly what Scotts links looked like on his. One side had the upper link and the other side only had 1 link. The upper link was only there for keeping the caster and pinion angle right. If you had the upper link on both sides of the axle you would have VERY little if any articulation at all. Also,again,you will have to run a trackbar to keep the axle under the rig.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #17

thx for that info , never had seen a single radius arm setup. My DD has a similar
setup but with the upper CA at the frame. I would be interested in seeing how a
single radius arm would hold up over time.
Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #18
RCC Addict

yeah radius arm! thats the one. thanks for the info!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Most 1:1 crawlers I've seen lately use the three link setup, two lower links and a panhard bar, or track bar, whatever you want to call it. It doesn't look like it would work as well as a four link but most all 1:1 competition crawlers I've seen lately use it, even in the rear when they have room for a proper four link setup.

David
Davkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #20
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
Most 1:1 crawlers I've seen lately use the three link setup, two lower links and a panhard bar, or track bar, whatever you want to call it. It doesn't look like it would work as well as a four link but most all 1:1 competition crawlers I've seen lately use it, even in the rear when they have room for a proper four link setup.

David
You do have a point there. The moonbuggy craze that Tiny started,most moonbuggy crawlers run a 3 link or radius arm deal front and rear. I think it's mainly cuz they are so small and theres probly not enough room for a proper double triangulated 4 link. That and everyones realizing that major amounts of wheeltravel is not the key to winning comps.

Like I said before though,3 links or radius arms do work to a certain degree buuuuut a double triangulated 4 links IS better. If you have the room for it a guys crazy to run a radius arm over a 4 links