Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: rc's and airports..???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rc's and airports..???

I am going to be taking off on vacation, and I was thinkin about takin a truck..what is the best way to pack it?? or can I carry it on?? should I keep the controller separate from the truck... How have you guys done it???

any help is appreciated... if it matters we are flying to hawaii...

any help is appreciated...
86ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

make sure you can prove that everything works, like radios and chargers, anything that they think could have been tampered with
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86ss1
I am going to be taking off on vacation, and I was thinkin about takin a truck..what is the best way to pack it?? or can I carry it on?? should I keep the controller separate from the truck... How have you guys done it???

your best bet would be to pack everything in a in a duffle bag..take the wheels off..AND CARRY IT ON!!!!!If your takin a nitro truck, forget it!! they'll never let ya take it on..
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

not sure why, but JK told me that when i take mine over to AUS. to make sure the tires were clean. don't have any dirt on them at all..
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
not sure why, but JK told me that when i take mine over to AUS. to make sure the tires were clean. don't have any dirt on them at all..

that's for quarantine (sp?)..we don't want USA germs

You coming over here soon TC? ifso, what state/city?

Ryan
XFACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86ss1

I have taken my trucks twice on airline flights. I suggest you use a carry on bag for your truck. Take the wheels off, and detatch the shocks so it rides nice and flat. Pack the tires around the truck for cushioning. Put all you tools in your checked bags, or they me get confiscated by airline security. I also put my radio and charger in my checked baggage to avoid weight in my carry on. I also put the body in the checked bag. JIA suggested I pack some RC magazines to show security if nessasary.

I will be getting one of these before I go on my next RC Trip (UTRCRC MOAB Comp)
Pelican 1510 Carry-On case is the toughest and biggest airline-legal carry-on case on the market.
Inside dimensions 20.2 L x 11.4 W x 7.5 D inches.
Outer dimensions 22 L x 14 W x 9 D inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
Madcow not Mudcow !
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if you have a nitro truck the tank and the lines have to be 100% fule free because ive brought gas trucks on you just gotta clean the fuel tank out and change fuel lines and yeah the cleanliness thing they like to see order as well. When i go to races and a flight is in volved generally i pack one of the large rubbermade boxes with holes drilled in it with reusible zipties and then after they check it go back around it and use permanent ones but there can be no aerosol large than 8oz and make batteries access able quickly and have one battery charged last year they guy made us show him cause he was being a douche when the rest of the guys just walked through with there stuff and yeah that should be it ive flown to probably just under 10 races now and ive never had any serious problems and if they have questions be curtious remember they are the ones letting you on the plane haha

have a good LONG flight
firstumustcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

check the faa website for items you can't bring on a plane, restrictions are getting tighter and tighter. I know NiCad batteries can't go on a plane and I think Nimh batteries are the same.
just ask yourself is the hassle of traveling with an r/c really worth it? If it is then you may want to consider overnighting it to your destination, just ship it on the day you fly and buy the insurance.
Take it from me there is nothing worse than getting home and opening up your luggage and finding your $1000 r/c gone and the airline saying toughs**t, yes it happened to me.
if you don't have the reciepts for everything consider the r/c a total loss if it happens, it would be a shame if your fabbed the whole truck yourself!
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
anything that they think could have been tampered with
There`s a problem. What hasn`t been tampered with on our trucks?
RampageFSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I checked in my duffle that I packed my rc in. Just made sure everything was taken apart. They did look in the bag cause they left a sticker saying they inspected my duffle. BUt everything was still there, radio, esc, batteries.
4x4XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #11
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFACTOR
that's for quarantine (sp?)..we don't want USA germs

You coming over here soon TC? ifso, what state/city?

Ryan
not sure yet Ryan.. I was gonna come over next year probably sydney or melbourne- not sure yet.. but since buying a house this year, it may have been pushed back a little
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:06 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

rc car action has a good article on this subject this month.
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I have taken my trucks. I took the pede to arizona and the emaxx to michigan. I had no problems what so ever. I just took the tires off and disconnected the shocks and packed it in my suitcase with towels wrapped around it for padding (and keeping the dirt away from clothes...had to share the space lol) I took Nimh and NiCd batteries and a charger. No one searched. One of the secuirity guards was actually talking to me about my trucks when he saw my carrying the bodies (didn't want them getting squished in the bags). He said he had a tmaxx. Also the one of the flight attendants told me that her son (josh theal or somthin like that) is the guy that paints in RCCA (i checked and it was!)

So all in all I guess just make them as compact as possible and pad them. I have had nothing but good experiance with traveling with rc's!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender
Take it from me there is nothing worse than getting home and opening up your luggage and finding your $1000 r/c gone and the airline saying toughs**t, yes it happened to me.

Thats why you pack it in your carry on, so it never leaves your side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender
check the faa website for items you can't bring on a plane, restrictions are getting tighter and tighter. I know NiCad batteries can't go on a plane and I think Nimh batteries are the same.

Actually you should check the TSA website since thats who will be going through your luggage.

I found no such restriction, and I doubt that there is such a restriction since just about every laptop, cell phone, digital camera, pda, I-Pod, and portable DVD now use Nimh .

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 07-02-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i thought they used lithiums?
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #16

Default Re: rc's and airports..???

hope you are not flying continnental...avoid them, they suc
2012Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
MODERHATER™

Bring back the dead!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #18

God forbid if they think your with the taliban......... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
gsbuickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I was thinking about taking my crawler to Denver with me, but maybe I won't now. I don't check luggage, and I just won't have the room for crawler, clothes, shoes, etc
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

thread is from 2005 cant say people dont search...
briang is offline   Reply With Quote