Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Alternative materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Alternative materials

I worked in the sign trade for several years and as an alternative to aluminium sheet for sign we started to use a material called Dibond. This is a sheet of polyethylene with a sheet of aluminium bonded on either face. It's very still, light and easy to work with.

I've just made a 4-link plate out of some, and am considering making a TVP chassis out of it next.

Anyone else use non-standard materials for stuff?

Pic of some Dibond...

Fat-Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Wow, neat I'm going to have to try that.

I USUALLY make small fast bashers. I'm new enough to rock crawling that I barely have a foot in yet - my first machine isn't a full crawler, nor is it even done ;)

As such with speed, I need to look at high impact resistance materials. the material I used last was UHMW polyethylene (Ultra high molecular weight).

I got a board 2'x1'x0.125". To test, I beat on this with a hammer, pinched a small corner with pliers and flailed around hoping to see if it would collapse on it's own weight. NADA.

It's not being used in my crawler currently. But my rc18r/xray dohickey.

It's imo the turkey jerky of plastics.

I've been looking for something stronger, but haven't found it. I do like the idea of sandwiching it between aluminum. Metals are generally stronger in tension than compression, so a thick center of light plastic does sound interesting. How is it bonded to the aluminum? doesn't it delaminate when working with it?

I've done a little research of physical characteristics on plastics.
fyi - for dotmar, their polystone = uhmw poly.
http://www.dotmar.com.au/solutions/impact.htm

Their nylon 703xl looks good for rock crawlers that are rough on their vehicles, as it's no slip stick (static friction = dynamic friction) and overall low coefficient of friction. It's also one of the highest strength plastics they've got.

I know delrin is popular (it's one of the sheets I got in the first picture, the other is nylon) but I'm not impressed with it. It's tough, but can snap. It does have good self lubrication and I know that's why it's important, sliding on rock. But it's not as tough as nylons or polyethylenes. I also get that crawlers are slow and don't need the impact resistance.
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice anti-squat setup. Have you calculated the amount of AS?
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #4

No, not yet - I started to look at the 4-link calculator spreadsheet that's floating around, but I'm a total novice at r/c cars (inc. crawlers) so I'm doing lots of reading and experimenting at the moment.

My way of testing for improvements is a 2' x 1' board with coarse glasspaper bonded to it. Then I set it pretty steep (65°) then crawl up as slowly as I can. This lets me see just how much the front-right lifts off the board. I know it's hardly scientific but it's helping me learn.

I'm not sure how the ali is bonded to the PE but I do know that it doesn't delaminate when you work with it. I've cut it with a hacksaw, drilled it, filed it.. nothing.

There's a spec sheet here if anyone's interested

http://www.signforce.co.uk/Signforce...tasheet-en.pdf
Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've messed around with a link calculation Excel sheet too. Helped a lot. At the moment I have AS value ~115%, but I don't even have a clue what's it supposed to be. Help, anyone?

How much weight are you carrying, Fat-Alfie?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

you got a wierd 4 link setup whats one doing underneath and one on top!!!
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
you got a wierd 4 link setup whats one doing underneath and one on top!!!
Raising the left rear upper link like pictured helps counter torque steer caused my motor rotation.
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomik View Post
I've messed around with a link calculation Excel sheet too. Helped a lot. At the moment I have AS value ~115%, but I don't even have a clue what's it supposed to be. Help, anyone?

How much weight are you carrying, Fat-Alfie?
That's quite a bit of AS. If you're running a sprung suspension it won't show or hurt as much as if you're running a droop setup. If you run that much AS with full droop suspension, you'll end up with a lot of unloading (shocks extend when the truck encounters resistance, instead of the power going to the ground...it transfers into the shock).
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
That's quite a bit of AS. If you're running a sprung suspension it won't show or hurt as much as if you're running a droop setup. If you run that much AS with full droop suspension, you'll end up with a lot of unloading (shocks extend when the truck encounters resistance, instead of the power going to the ground...it transfers into the shock).
I am running AX-10 with stock springs in rear and softs in front. Left rear shock has the biggest preload-piece too (the "C"-bit). What would be the "optimal" AS value? 0%? 100%?

I've already tried the same as Fat-Alfie with the difference I had rear right (when looked from back of the car) link on top of the servoplate and left raised ~10mm. That caused the car to have way too much twist and climbing was almost impossible. Now I have both upperlinks under the servoplate with 3mm spacers and it works much better. Also the axle movement is smooth now.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat-Alfie View Post
Anyone else use non-standard materials for stuff?
I use ultra high molecular density polyethylene for skid plates instead of delrin. It's slicker, more abrasion resistant and cheaper. It's a bit more flexible and doesn't hold threads quite as well, but you can get around that by using longer screws and thicker stock. I like it, and I have a ton lying around.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This looks like the same stuff I was asking about here: Aluminum Composite

Subscribing to this thread to see how it works out for you, thanks for taking the first shot at it!
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #12

Well, I'm not too sure about making chassis plates from this composite material now - the 4-link servo plates I made from it have started to bend where the upper links are bolted on. Admittedly I am using spacers to move the link away from the plate, so there is added turning momentum there.

Still, it might work for chassis plates as I suspect there will be less twisting force in that application.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I had a chassis cut from that material, but traded it before I ever got to build/run it (the dimensions were slightly off and I could not use it with my setup). It seemed decently strong, and with proper bracing it should be fine for a smaller chassis such as mine. I am having a new one cut today from the same stuff; I will let you know how it works out.

I've also made a chassis with a UHMW skid and lexan sideplates, which worked fine with 2 alu braces.

Pic of that setup:

-Destroyer

Last edited by Destroyer; 06-12-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote