Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mini-Vacation Crawling Pics (56K Puke)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mini-Vacation Crawling Pics (56K Puke)

Hello all

Just got back from a little 4 day camping vacation trip. Been waiting all year to go to this specific campground due to the rocks/boulders there. Spent a lot of time out "playing" with my truck as the wife called it. Shot a few pics, quite a few actually. Most shots the truck was driven into, out of is a different story. The rocks at this place are huge and between each in spots have huge voids (holes) some big enough to swallow your truck. Managed to eat two servo arms, broke a rod end on a shock and after crawling for 3 days finally blew up the transmission. Nothing major, just munched a spur gear. Picture of Wild Willy in here too as well as our self contained mobile living unit otherwise known as a camper

RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

nice spot to camp, but with the way the weather has been, i could take a little more shade

but if you learned to drive Bill, you wouldn't end up in those BIG voids
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes, it was a titty bit warm this weekend. Was about 105 the day I took those pictures. I believe I consumed nearly 3 gallons of Gatorade over the weekend Twisted.........you don't worry 'bout my driving skills. People that were watching me crawl.......I just told 'em I MEANT to fall into that big hole, they were worth extra points.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCALLOYS
Twisted.........you don't worry 'bout my driving skills. People that were watching me crawl.......I just told 'em I MEANT to fall into that big hole, they were worth extra points.
ahh i don't worry about your driving, your driving is still better than mine I may have to use that " extra points" thing next time at the comp
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
MODERATOR™

Nice shots.

How'd the the truck do?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Eh, truck did quite well for the size of the rocks it had to deal with. Was fun to look for lines to take and see how far ya could get down the acres of rocks there. There are a handful of things on the truck that will be getting a second look. Needs more steering grunt for one thing that is for sure. Tranny needs and will be redesigned a bit, need beefier gears. Maybe some special lower links to gain more clearence. Other than that it worked great! Was getting minimum 1 hour run times out of the battery. Was a bit confused as to why it ran so long but didn't ask any questions Battery is just a 3600mah nimh 6 cell stick. Sure entertained the seniors in the campground though, lot of them wandered over to my trailer and wanted to know all about the truck. Just so happen to have the June issue of RC Driver with me too, hee hee. Changed a few minds after they saw the truck run, most thought it was a "TOY". So as with anything, this was a good field test for the truck and it will have some new pieces soon.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thats is one awesome truck! love the camping spot to!

Later
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Nice pics.. awesome truck...

that looks like an amazing spot to host a comp...
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Camping? That "self contained mobile living unit" is bigger than my first appartment was!

j/k.

Looks like you had a great time! Can't wait to get out and camp myself, only I sleep on the ground, under the stars. Unless the wife is there, then its in a tent.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

that wasn't KY lake was it? theres a campground down there that looks a lot like that....
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

DOH, few posts disappeared in this thread. Anywho, the campground is in Carlyle Illinois on Carlyle Lake. Lake is HUGE, about 26,000 acres of water so I am told. Is about a 2 hour ride from where I am at but worth it as you can see.
Heh, so my trailer is bigger than your apartment was eh Snake? Mine isn't squat compared to some of the stuff we see. There was one a few spots up from me that had 4 slides and probably about 36 foot, was a 5th wheel. Mine is a little 26 footer with one super slide. Got all the bells and whistles though. TV, DVD, 15,000 BTU A/C, fridge, micro, potty, shower and other goodies. Campin' certainly isn't what it used to be. Plus with the cost of gas now, whew........ makes for a expensive 3-4 days out. My truck sucks on average 5-9 mpg when towing. However, it is all worth it to get out of the city. Majority of the time I don't know what day it is, what time it is or anything when we're camping. Just do whatever we want whenever we want.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
However, it is all worth it to get out of the city. Majority of the time I don't know what day it is, what time it is or anything when we're camping. Just do whatever we want whenever we want.
Ya, it's great! Feels good not knowing what day it is, I can wait 'til I can retire from the rat race..... only 35 more years!

We just got back from a 5 day stay in the Smokies. I love to go to the mountains.... 75 degrees at higher elevations. 7 hour drive though so that doesn't happen but a couple times a year.

Looks like you had fun!
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

As usual, sick truck!
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
.........Heh, so my trailer is bigger than your apartment was eh Snake? Mine isn't squat compared to some of the stuff we see. There was one a few spots up from me that had 4 slides and probably about 36 foot, was a 5th wheel. Mine is a little 26 footer with one super slide. Got all the bells and whistles though. TV, DVD, 15,000 BTU A/C, fridge, micro, potty, shower and other goodies.........
Yep, and nicer too!

Actually it was a 2 room studio in a barn. But for $250 a month, no complaints. And we didn't have A/C.

I love getting out, I can drive about 10 minutes and be in a number of campgrounds either at one of two lakes, or go about 20 minutes farther and be in any number of secluded camp sites. Unfortinately I don't get to that much anymore. Funny how a family / house / Job takes over.

Nice trailer BTW, maybe someday I too will have one.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #15
RCC Addict

where can i get a sweet wheelie bar for my willy like that? the stocker is useless, so it sits on the shelf with the ww1 so it doesnt get too beat up.
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote