Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom made stick chassis build thread, clod axles and stainless steel backbone...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Custom made stick chassis build thread, clod axles and stainless steel backbone...

Hello all.

I have been working on this stick chassis for a few days, and I thought that I would share some pictures.

I just ordered two Integy 55t lathes for the power, 6,7,8,9,10, &11t pinions to play with, adjustable motor mounts, Rooster Crawler esc, and Castle BEC.

I have Hitec 7955tg front servo and 5955tg rear servo installed. Don't worry, the current servo holder/mounts are only place keepers. I am making nicer ones as I write.

I've also ordered Elite 2S lipo 4800. The backbone is stainless steel 1/2" diameter, and the links are; front steering stainless steel sleeved 8-32 allthread, and the front bottom links are carbon fiber sleeved 8-32, rear links are aluminum sleeved 8-32, and the rear steer is 8-32 carbon fiber sleeved too.

I'll use my DX3R and an SR3100 receiver too.

The top shock links are made from 1/4-20 s.s. allthread, and I welded a 4-40 s.s. bolt to the 1/4-20 nut, and put a locknut in place to keep it still. Fully adjustable if needed though.
Almost everything on the chassis is stainless steel except what's listed above as cf and al.

Most of the fasteners are 3mm 0.5mm pitch. The big ball joints are 3/8" nylon. I used Losi rock crawler shocks.

Last edited by Master Basher; 07-27-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Wow, that's looking nice, makes me wish i had built a supper instead of getting an ax-10. Oh well, i'm happy w/ wat i have.
Montigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I got an ax10 first, and I've had it for a little while. It crawls very nice. I just started looking at these super threads and started wanting one.

The wheelbase is 17".

I should have everything to make a first run as soon as my wheelnuts/adapters come in.

I wanted to save the $200 by making it myself, but I already have a ton invested.

shocks: $50
axles: $50
motors: $35
esc: $90
pinions: $30
links: $35
servos: $175
adj. motor mounts: $10
lipo battery: $65
receiver: $60
BEC: $25
wheel adapters: $40
time: priceless

That's $665 right there, and it hasn't even moved yet :shocked: Damn this stuff is expensive.

Last edited by Master Basher; 07-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

ya mines a little over 18 but when i bring it up the wheelbase shortens.its a shafty though also.
but hell ya dude. i didnt really spend as much as u with the lipos n all that but it started addin up quick.lol
and still wanna get some 1/4 scale servos

finished it a couple of days ago
norcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Added my SR3000 and BEC. Wired my custom Deans harness for parallel motor power.

The little receiver battery was for testing my servo steering action. It works nicely.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

functionality testing today. I'm not even sure I'm gonna need the Castle BEC with this ESC. I haven't bought a body yet...

I had to brace the 7955TG servo mounts, there was entirely too much flexing for my taste.

It seems to be very impressive, I am really liking it right now.

I did manage to break the epoxy weld on the diff the first 10 minutes of operation. I redid it, hopefully it will work this time.

Every fastener has some type of loctite on it.

I learned very quickly that as bad-ass as carbon fiber is in stiffness and strength to weight ratio... unfortunately it has NO place on crawler links.

What are people doing to get strong links? I used 8-32 allthread, and sleeved it, but they bent like they were not even there.

I guess I'll try some hardened rod next.

Enjoy.