Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Terrain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
doc

Default Terrain?

Looking for ideas on what people like or dont like as far as terrain? What are your preffernces as far as man made or natural rocks? What kind of things do you like to see, bridges, narrow trails, elevation changes? What about creek crossings? And lastly what about mud? It seems that some people love it while others hate it?

Thanks
Doc
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I think you're gonna get as many different opinions on all of those questions as you do responses...

"good" terrain is gonna be different for scalers vs comp crawlers, and also whether your rig is waterproofed will have a say on mud and/or creek crossings.

Sounds to me like you're planning to build a course?
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

at our local club we are building a 40 square meters crawl/scale course.
it will have all sorts of rock/stones/bricks, a tunnel, a bridge, mud, clay. elevations changes.

so everybody finds something they like.
murky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i was planning on opening a thread to get recommendations on how to set up a course in my back yard. what i have access to is space and a couple very large piles of small/medium boulders. i've never been to a comp but i wanted to see what people thought would be good. if your looking to build a course i'd like to see what others recommend.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Looking for ideas on what people like or dont like as far as terrain? What are your preffernces as far as man made or natural rocks? What kind of things do you like to see, bridges, narrow trails, elevation changes? What about creek crossings? And lastly what about mud? It seems that some people love it while others hate it?

Thanks
Doc
my 2 cents... as far as terrain, we like it all, man made or natural and a good mixture of everything you said, bridges, narrow trails, elevation crossings and mud. Something, anything to challenge our rigs along with our driving skills. You'll always have lovers and haters, just make sure it doesn't stop you from having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
I think you're gonna get as many different opinions on all of those questions as you do responses...

"good" terrain is gonna be different for scalers vs comp crawlers, and also whether your rig is waterproofed will have a say on mud and/or creek crossings.

Sounds to me like you're planning to build a course?
2X on what he said. scalers or comp crawlers make it challenging for the drivers. If you are building a course I say do it, and just keep adding to it. If they don't like it, ask them to leave nicely, or get their feedback or suggestions. Hope this helps you out. and Post up some pictures if you build a course.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

During the week I have no chance to go outside and I cannot find any place to crawl, so I am using the metal parts that we use in the manufacturing to make my track in the factory...

The foreman constantly angry every morning about the stuff being moved around and parts being mixed
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Big fan of natural terrain. Just go out in the woods and have some fun.
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote