Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Indoor rock crawling course??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.
Default Indoor rock crawling course??

Anyone on here ave any experience building an indoor crawling course? I don't mean dragging some stones inside; more like the pics from RCX in the magazines. I think I have the basic idea; I'm just looking for some tips. This is going to be geared towards the new Losi 1/18th crawler and 2.2's. I'm thinking the thing to use is the expanding foam stuff over chicken wire, then shaped and sprayed with truck bed liner to give it some grit. Is this the way to go about it? If any of you have some pics or links to sites featuring this, that would be great!
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #2

Use lego technic bricks to built indoor terrain, go to bricklink.com.
maxgil05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Some great old threads that come with search function.

Indoor Rock Course?

and my favorite

Artificial Rock Course
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ive built a couple with different methods... For a true indoor small course I almost think I would go foam with sand mix concrete over it. Kind of paper Machie style. If your planning to go larger and need it more durable go with Sandmix over chicken wire. I have used that on a couple different courses and it worked great, actually right now my backyard course has a chickenwire concrete section that is a triangle 8' on 1 side 6' on the other and about 3' high.... 5 bags of crete and some sitting time and I can still move it myself (barely) and strong enough to stand on.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

That course at Freddie's looks like just the ticket!! Thanks a lot! I will keep everyone posted on the progress! I can't wait to get started!!
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

we are also in the process of building an indoor rock crawling course and we are having problems with what kind of materials to use....We need something strong and durable, however not too pricey. If you have any suggestions for us please let me know, our store is brand new and we can use all the feedback we can get!
supertoys123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #7

we have done the same thing that youre descibing, however, were having troubles with the paper tearing. What would you suggest? We just opened our store and we are trying to perfect our rock crawling course although its already assembled and up for show. If you could give me any suggestions that you may have, my email is janavldz926@gmail.com
supertoys123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Funny enough I make fake boulders and waterfeatures for a living but I dont have a course at home lol. Use a diamond stucco mesh backed with the cloth type material,coat that with a mix 3part sand to 1part cement coat about 1/4to1/2'' thick. for big boulders bend 10mm rebar to shape and tie mesh to rebar. Mesh is like 4$ for a 2x8' sheet cement is 10$ a bag and sand is 30$ for a truck load. keep the cement thin you can make it super light.
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Are you looking to make it a temporary thing or permanent course? If your looking to go permanent then search RCR and you will find a thread from start to finish on how to make one. Other than that I dont have any advise unless I knew what you were looking to build.
cavecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking of using the stucco mix. It seems flexible enough and fairly light.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabandit1 View Post
Funny enough I make fake boulders and waterfeatures for a living but I dont have a course at home lol. Use a diamond stucco mesh backed with the cloth type material,coat that with a mix 3part sand to 1part cement coat about 1/4to1/2'' thick. for big boulders bend 10mm rebar to shape and tie mesh to rebar. Mesh is like 4$ for a 2x8' sheet cement is 10$ a bag and sand is 30$ for a truck load. keep the cement thin you can make it super light.

X2....... you can also make it into smaller sections so it is more manueverable & stackable...... just bend, fold, curl, cup or whatever ya want to make the desired surface & there ya go..... lightweight stackable course. Sometimes at yer local lowes or home depot, they have busted bags of concrete for $1 or $2 a bag...... its the same thing as new just a ripped bag that they stuff in a super duty paper sack.
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just make sure that there is support for the chicken wire. The cement will crack if the chicken wire flexes a bit.
Kanine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Mine is 4x4 panels so it's modular and re-arrangable. I used the concrete method as mentioned and chicken wire and burlap under that. Cut OSB 4x8 in half. Nail scrap wood together in shapes for the basic layout and then staple the fabric down and then the wire. Cover with the finishing bag crete and viola.

Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

i like barts idea!!
nice!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Build thread by the WiRCRC (Wisconsin club)

Hobby Town Oshkosh build days

And one by SCRC (Chicago club)

New Indoor location New Indoor Location New Indoor Location
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
WNYRCRC

Nice. We have an indoor course with several different materals. Real rock , foam with bedliner spray. Concrete and plaster. They all have different challenges. I do like the course you have made. Very Cool
Raceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #17

Jeesh. You guys are hardcore! Wish I had the time, the real estate, and a wife that would allow it
makaluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

i have a course in my basement but i made it out of wood/ rocks/ rope/ and metal it has 5 levels to climb on and around .i have not tried the spray foam yet but it might work ok .i have a quick video of my course i will try to post it so you can see what i have done so far with free material that people just love to get out of there yards
ctsami is offline   Reply With Quote