Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shafty Conversion to Hot-Racing MOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #41
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If the gears aren't actually 48p it will make a lot of noise with a 48p pinion. 48p metric is mod 0.6, and I wouldn't doubt if they are labeled as 48p but they forgot the "metric" part.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
Hey

I prefer Black AE grease for al gears (except servos).
Thanks Rene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
I was searching for " DIG servo" and found this, odd but glad I found this

Nice job, bet that thing Rocks now :-P
Axles look great!

Where can I grab some ?

That should increase you crawl factor by 100 !
Not sure what kind of dig you need but if you need one for a Berg, check out my Berg thread for the mini blind dig unit.

Thanks for the comments, and yeh, TCS has them - http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Hot-Racin...8-p-17009.html. Looks like they are already out of stock on the black ones though. If you really want black, there are other places if you look but I'm not recommending it. I'm sure Kevin will be getting more in soon.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

You did a great job on the write up on these. They look really cool on your chassis.
I love the looks them but now I have to decide between these Bergs and bullys. Damb I hate having a choice .
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

From Nluv's reveiw of the HR axles.

Quote:
• Gears are standard 48P, so any hobby shop will have the pinion gears you need. Berg axles use a metric 48P that are harder to find.
We need to get this one figured out.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Default The upper link mount is off-centered....a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Based on the pic below, it looks like Jake is right about the upper link mount being 1/8" off. It looks like your axle is shifted to the "driver" side. Could you confirm or deny this?

Great info here man.
Hey Griz. Looks to be that way. I tried my best to capture it with pics. that hole is centered in my chassis. But basically if the overall length C to C is nearly 6.5", then the center should be nearly 3 1/4", however, it's approximately 3 1/8".

Gotta to take a break from this thing until hopefully sometime tomorrow, I have other priorities tonight. Stay Tuned.

Pics
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
You did a great job on the write up on these. They look really cool on your chassis.
I love the looks them but now I have to decide between these Bergs and bullys. Damb I hate having a choice .
Thanks. Keep watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

Ok, so all I did was take the 14t pinion off the motor that was mounted to my AX10 transmission and used it on the rear. I then grabbed another 15T pinion (originally purchased to be used for the AX10), and threw it in the other motor. They lined up just like any other motor I've mounted with no recognizable issues. Unless the 48P and 48P metric are so close, I just can't tell. To be honest, I have no idea how to tell the difference just by looking at them. I figured if I was using the wrong type, it wouldn't line up and run. I'll do whatever I can to help solve this though.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
If you have questions about a specific part, let me know.

Good luck!
Thanks to you and Nluv for all the help, i did some shopping at TCS for the parts i didn't have, all i have to do now is figure out the motors i will use on this pup, time to call on JRH again
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #48
Im Brandon

Quote:

Sheesh Dez, as stated. The final Gear IS 48P Standard. Doesnt matter what the rest are since the pinion will never touch them

Want to ask again? Go ahead I dare ya
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Sheesh Dez, as stated. The final Gear IS 48P Standard. Doesnt matter what the rest are since the pinion will never touch them

Missed that somehow?:?

Glad to get it straighten out though.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #50
Im Brandon

Quote:
Missed that somehow?:?

Glad to get it straighten out though.
No problem. And you know I am just messing with you. That is the truth about the gears though, I am not kidding there. So dont ask again.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No problem. And you know I am just messing with you. That is the truth about the gears though, I am not kidding there. So dont ask again.
Are you sure? Can you double check.......again?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #52
Im Brandon

Quote:
Now you have me second guessing. Lemme to check...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

What pitch are these gears?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
What pitch are these gears?
Funny.

I can definitely say that the Berg pinion and the Hot-Racing pinion are not swappable. Last night when I was taking the 45T from the HR axles to put in my Berg rig I first tried putting the Berg pinioned motor in the Hot-Racing axles and vice-versa. They both would spin but not smoothly and made a horrible racket. The Berg pinion seems to be bigger in the sense that the gaps between the teeth are wider. I don't know, but what's important is, they are different!!

So, with that, I now have two 55T motors, with at 14T up front and a 15T in the rear. However, I had to take the electronics from it to build my backup electronic system for Nationals. So right now, I have to rewire the motors in order to use the Deans plugs for my electrical system, and I'm too lazy and am going to test some changes to my Berg. After all, I think that rig should be what's most important right now, at least until after next weekend.

Stay tuned as I hope to get this setup on the rocks, if not before Moab, then shortly after.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Rubicon this has been a very informative thread. I look forward to your next postings.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Hey there

I have some new HR axles on my bench. The first gear is 48 pitch. But the first gear will not work with a Berg 2nd gear. To get 48 pitch in the Berg you must change the first gear, the scecond gear and a bearing.

The shaft on the 2nd gear on HR is smaller, just on one side. I will see how tough these are, I am putting the HR gears into my Super build in Berg axles. I am doing this because I can get a greater gear reduction with 48 pitch vs 48 metric.

I had the noise too initially, when you assemble the gear case you have to make sure that the diff gear seats all the way into the bearing on the long axle side. The slap on some AE black they are quiet.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
Hey there

I have some new HR axles on my bench. The first gear is 48 pitch. But the first gear will not work with a Berg 2nd gear. To get 48 pitch in the Berg you must change the first gear, the scecond gear and a bearing.

The shaft on the 2nd gear on HR is smaller, just on one side. I will see how tough these are, I am putting the HR gears into my Super build in Berg axles. I am doing this because I can get a greater gear reduction with 48 pitch vs 48 metric.

I had the noise too initially, when you assemble the gear case you have to make sure that the diff gear seats all the way into the bearing on the long axle side. The slap on some AE black they are quiet.
Good info Rene. That explains why I was able to swap both gears above, just have to use the right pinion too. I noticed the smaller bearing when messing with them as well, made a mental note to post it but forgot about it. I did put some regular lithium grease on mine and adjusted the pinion better and they are not as loud now. Interesting use of the gears in the Berg, good idea. I'm curious to see what you've got going so far for your super. I know you only had a couple weeks to get it built for nats.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Rubicon this has been a very informative thread. I look forward to your next postings.
Thanks. Just trying to learn and help others while I'm at it. I'm trying to talk myself into messing with this rig some more today and rewire my motors, make the new links, etc. But I just got home from some more Berg testing and can't get motivated, it was hot out there.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Well i went a different route on the chassis, ordered a MFM, i'll post up next weekend when i get all my stuff in, and will start bothering and pestering you guys for info.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Well i went a different route on the chassis, ordered a MFM, i'll post up next weekend when i get all my stuff in, and will start bothering and pestering you guys for info.
No problem, anytime you have a question ask away and I'll do my best to help. I'm looking forward to your build with that chassis. I like seeing all of the different kinds of setups people choose.