Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: tuning with different shock oils

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default tuning with different shock oils

I was wondering if there was a particular viscous shock oil thats generally ran on a comp chassis.I have a reign k2j-tt and was debating on changing the oil to something else.What would be the advantages or dis advantages to going thick vs light? I have knowledge in this department when tuning buggies and on road cars but changing oil/pistons on crawlers is all new to me.
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

speedemall, your question is a little general and not knowing what your running exactly it's hard to answer. I like my fronts to compress and rebound quickly and my rears slower. I use Losi shocks and oil. 10 weight front and 35 weight rear white springs front and red rear. My rig is almost 7 pounds with heavy wheels. I hope that helps.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am running 60 in the rear, stock it the front. It might be a bit much, but I wanted to slow down the rear.

On a mostly stock AX10 , forgot to add that.

Last edited by Reflection; 08-31-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: tedmales forgot info.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
RCC Addict

imho the terrain youll be ringing plays a big roll on how to set up your oil weight

it seems like more and more people are using lighter weight oil in the front compared to the rear

personally i run droop w/ no springs and i use 3000 wt diff oil in the front and 5000 in the rear, i like to keep my shocks pretty slow for added traction. w/ the shocks being really slow i tend to break more parts because of the added stress.

Last edited by NeXt559; 09-02-2008 at 09:07 AM.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I switched to 25 front and 40 rear from 50 all around.For some reason now the truck tends to lean to one side a little bit when stationary
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemall View Post
I switched to 25 front and 40 rear from 50 all around.For some reason now the truck tends to lean to one side a little bit when stationary
that lean is from the motor being on one side. maybe add the clip on spacers to the springs on the shocks or if you have threaded shocks adjust the side that leans down.

firmer springs may also combat the lean

when i ran a conventional spring set up id always use super soft springs and really light weight oil (10 wt), the "lean" was one of the reasons i switched to droop
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have found running heavy oil in the rear combate tork twist and almost act as a sway bar in some ways. I also put the rear shocks as far out as I can
Leeroy is offline   Reply With Quote