Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my indoor rock course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default my indoor rock course

well, i like looking at others' courses, so i figured i'd post up some pics of my own.

first off i made a bunch of different "tables" of different heights, widths, and lengths out of 3/4" plywood sections with treated 4"x4"s used for legs. just make sure you use enuf legs to support the weight of the rock you're gonna put on them ( i used 6 legs on each table ).

i then made a "ravine" by using two different plywood peices ( both were 2' x 3.5' for my application ) and joined them at a 90* angle by using a 4"x4" as an inside "spine" to screw them togather. i then cut some 4"x4"s with their tops at 45* angles to screw into the plywood sides for legs.

to get from one table to another that has a higher elevation, i made "ladders" out of 2' x 4's and made each ladder a certain length to adjust for the degree of elevation that i wanted. i then placed "flatter" and larger rocks on them and they seem to work well.

i also made smaller "tables" to place on top of the larger tables to vary terrain.

all of the rocks that i used were from my property... it helps when you have 30 acres and a creek to take rocks from!

after i completed my course, i realized that it was a little too small dimension-wise for my ax-10, so i went ahead and bought the losi mrc which fits perfect on my course and allows me to run a bunch of different lines on each "table". my course is a total of 37 ft. in length and an average of 3 ft. wide. enjoy the pics!

jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

and of course, i had to add some close-up pics that include my new losi mrc "crimefighter"!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

That's awesome! I have a spot outside I want to dump a bunch of rocks to build a course. I'll tell the wife we have a new "rock garden." I like the tables.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar View Post
That's awesome! I have a spot outside I want to dump a bunch of rocks to build a course. I'll tell the wife we have a new "rock garden." I like the tables.

-Jon

thanks jon, my wife didnt seem to care one way or the other that this is in the basement. we just use our basement for storage anyways. the next plan is to make a "cable bridge" to run accross.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #5

looks good
Thekingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

thats freakin sweet, when i moved into my house i noticed the back yard had a bunch of rocks from small to large marking the property line and it turns out that there actually all on my property so i can do whatever i want with them, to bad the wife would kill me if i put them in the basement but for now i just piled them all up till i feel like draging them into the garage for a winter crawler course, too bad its not heated tho but its better than having to spend hours melting the ice off of them with a torch just to spend like 20 mins playing.
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looks great. How much did it suck to carry all those rocks down to your basement?
onlyinajeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That's pretty dam cool.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinajeepxj View Post
Looks great. How much did it suck to carry all those rocks down to your basement?
thanks for the compliments guys. all in all, it took me a total of 4 days work- cutting the lumber, making the tables, and moving the stone. i still re-arrange it, and probably will always be re-arranging it to keep it different. i will say that my back was a little sore, but it wasnt as bad as ithought it would be. that is 2 truck beds full of stone right there. i have a yamaha rhino on my property, so i just loaded up the back of it w/ rocks, and made multiple trips to the truck. if i wouldnt have had the rhino, it would of really sucked!

hopefully this motivates you guys to get your indoor courses completed before winter. its sweet just to walk down the steps and start crawling!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelock View Post
to bad the wife would kill me if i put them in the basement but for now i just piled them all up till i feel like draging them into the garage for a winter crawler course, too bad its not heated tho but its better than having to spend hours melting the ice off of them with a torch just to spend like 20 mins playing.

hey, the winter is no problem if you got rocks in the garage, just use a torpedo heater and you're set! get er done!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hey thats a nice little spot.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Nice! Compact yet still able to squeeze in multiple line choices on just one wall.
My new house just passed 'Final'. Looks like I will have to do an inside rock crawling/house warming party. Your the first to be invited since it was your Idea.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hermit View Post
Nice! Compact yet still able to squeeze in multiple line choices on just one wall.
My new house just passed 'Final'. Looks like I will have to do an inside rock crawling/house warming party. Your the first to be invited since it was your Idea.
a big thunbs up to ur house and future indoor course

i'd def make it there if i didnt live in wisconsin

anyone who lives close by me (fond du lac, wi.) are invited over for some crawling... i just got my pro-line gate markers!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Very nice heres a shot or two of my indoor course

kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

holy cow kasper! u runnin 2.2s on that? it looks huge! and of course, appleton isnt that far away from fondy *hint hint*. great course!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
holy cow kasper! u runnin 2.2s on that? it looks huge! and of course, appleton isnt that far away from fondy *hint hint*. great course!
As of now we crawl every wednesday evening just give me a call 920-313-0027...Chris
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
As of now we crawl every wednesday evening just give me a call 920-313-0027...Chris
cool! right now i'm laid up in bed since i just got acl reconstruction on my knee a coupla days ago, but when i'm back up on my feet and healthy i'll be callin.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #18

I live in florida...No need for indoor arena but nice work everyone.I went out and loaded a bed of rocks put my truck in reverse backed up then slamed into 1st and floored it...Made i nice course...Dont even have my crawler yet...THURSDAY I WILL!!!!
crazie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

pretty amazing indoor course there... I'm very impressed

the wife would kill me if I started hauling rocks in an out of our house.....
Akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

UNFAIR!!!! lol wicked nice
U$edUpH00ker is offline   Reply With Quote