Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Nylint Customer Support & Breakage Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Just ran mine for the first time tonight. I'm not sure if it's breakage or not but the steering definitely seems to be a weak point on these. Lots of skkkkraaaakkkk if you try to turn into anything too steep under power. Also, my front wheels got stuck turned one way or the other - after hearing the skkkraaakkk - and wouldn't turn back with the controller. The remedy seemed to be to simply drive straight on a level surface for a few feet and the wheels magically realigned themselves! I can only guess that the steering gears are wearing down nonetheless. Tomorrow I'm going to check to see if they're on the parts list.

I tried mine out after dark with just street/outdoor lights to see with. Maybe tomorrow I can take a movie.

Also, I noticed twice where the rear diff disengaged and left me with only front wheel drive. The remedy seems to be to shift into high, drive for a bit and then shift back into low.

All in all, not much carnage. It's sure a lot easier to fix (so far) than my regular size Rubicon.

Edit (update): Took it out again this morning and the steering was pretty much gone. Even driving it in tall grass pushed the wheels back and forth despite what I did with the controller. Driving it on rocks - round landscaping river rock about 6-8" in diameter - proved fruitless. I exchanged it for a second one at Wally World. They even let me trade batteries for the one that I had already charged!

Last edited by Mudinyeri; 08-14-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #22

Okay here goes....

I am not upset, but would like to know how to fix this issue. I was playing with mine inside, no mud, no rocks, no sand, no rough housing it and it broke... After talking with my friend that also has a 1/6 his is broke the same way only the other side... I am going to be using parts from his to fix mine and hopefully it wont happen again, but only time will tell.

I was backing it up the front of my big screen TV and had the wheels turned, not full stuff either. The weight must have gotten the better of the steering motor and it let the tires turn full stuff and I heard a popping noise while trying to finish backing it up. I drove it forward and it would only steer one way, so I flipped it over and found this...

I took it apart to get a better look at the damage... You can see that not only is the bucket inside the hub assembly is destroyed, but the short axle shaft that slips over the main shaft is busted too...

I am having problems getting the steering rod disconnected from the steering motor or the hub assembly... Is there a way to just swap over the hub assembly parts or is it a swap out the complete axle assembly and repair the other side of the parts axle?

I have been looking at the axle assembly and I believe the problem is that the steering geometry is bad. The steering is allowed to turn more than the bucket/axle is designed to give and one side of the shaft pops out and causes a bind in the assembly until something gives and the bucket is very thin metal...

I have heard about the great care you are going to be giving to us the customer and would like to see something posted about resolving this issue.

PM me if the problem is not stated clear enough or if you have Q's about this and I will send you my cell number.

Thanks for your help!!
shortystowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #23

my return spring is broken, and a front steering gear is stripped.
Surfzup2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #24

Okay, I figured out the bearings and sub shafts are only pressed in by very little force. I used my palm to remove the destroyed one and my good one. I have it back together and will avoid reversing up steep inclines, but this is a design defect and should be looked into. I should be able to look further into it now knowing what to watch for and will post if this happens again...

And add to the damage list the axle cover, it has a half moon shaped piece of plastic that snapped off when the bearing was being pushed sideways by the axle hub....

All this and Ihaven't even modded it yet... I will be changing the shock mounts and drilling holes in rims & sutting tires probably after work tomorrow.
shortystowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Default Facts...

1. I represent ONLY the Scorpion that inspired these scale models. I am not speaking for, nor work for, Funrise/Nylint who manufactures these babies. We (http://MyScorpion.com) licensed the Scorpion name and likeness to them, and inpired the suspension, thanks to the Scorpion Daddy, Mike Seay, who commercialized a design originated by Heath Biggs (who won the 1998 TopTruck Challenge with it.)

2. Though Funrise/Nylint has been in this business for a Looooong time, they have never seen the success that the Crawlers are having. It has blown all of us away. The Crawlers are FLYING off the shelves as fast as W-M can put them up. Nobody was prepared for that. Imagine how many Wal-Mart stores there are (thousands). All stores were shipped initial stocks of the cars. Most have none on the shelves at any given time. So, that amounts to selling LOTS of cars. And the vast majority of the customers (regrettably) do not participate on this board. Now, focus all of that on one company that was not quite prepared for the popularity, though has the BEST INTENTIONS.

3. Funrise/Nylint has been OVERWHELMED with the response to the Crawlers. Overwhelmed. That means that we need to be patient, as they are ramping up the resources to handle the inquiries, including a Voice Mail system that couldn't keep up. Funrise/Nylint has NEVER had to handle this level of inquiry this fast, and are quickly putting the resources in place.

4. PARTS never come into the States before the product hits the shelves. These have a long trip over here, and if you note the lack of 1/6 Scorpions on the shelves, (ARRGGGGH - I do not even have a Scorpion body on *MY* 1/6 yet) it is a tough trip, customers and all... BUT, parts come AFTER the product - when the maufacturer is even willing to provide them, which Nylint is.

5. You will NOT get instantaneous response, or immediate replacement of a busted car or parts, seems to me, at the moment. Funrise/Nylint does not HAVE vehicles stacked up ready to ship out, nor do they have the PARTS stacked up, ready to ship in quantities - right now...

6. I know the good people at Funrise/Nylint. They have big bucks invested in these cars, have been in the model business a long time, and have a great reputation to protect with their customers - like Wal-Mart. They WILL provide the service that we all need, but it will take time.

7. CONSIDER THIS AN ADVENTURE. Never before has a "TOY" been sold with this level of capability. These are the FIRST ONES to hit the shelves. We are PIONEERS. We are on the leading edge. Enjoy the excitement, and be assured that the good people behind Funrise/Nylint are working hard to back you up with support, parts, and ongoing engineering.
slashsplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #26

well, that absolutely blows, they won't take this repainted thing back, im sure. Not that my walmart has anymore anyway.... great
Old 08-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #27
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfzup2k4
well, that absolutely blows, they won't take this repainted thing back, im sure. Not that my walmart has anymore anyway.... great

have you read any other posts? just hold your horses for a bit and you will get some support. if you did a good job on the repaint you could always touch it up where it is scratched and take it back. do you think the lady working at the counter knows what color it is supposed to be?

are the gear reductions a direct fit with tamiya gear reduction parts? they look indentical to me except the last gear adapter, the section with a cutout for the high speed gear, and the plastic colors.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #28

actually I had to go to pick up something for my grandma, and they were just unpacking some. I snagged a 1:18 to replace my broken part. I am using one as a parts truck, since I can't/ don't want to take my painted, modded one back.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #29

well, nevermind.... this new POS has broken after (literally) 2-3 minutes of operation in totally stock form. I think I am going to give these up for a while. Already I have almost 100 invested and no jeep to drive.

They are both now packaged up and ready to take back. I think I am going to get a 1:6. They dno't seem to be having as many problems. :(

Last edited by Surfzup2k4; 08-14-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #30
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfzup2k4
Did you actually think that they would take back your broken crawler after you repainted it and modded it?

Just like with almost every other item on a shelf, the minute you modify it or repaint it you usually void the warrenty.

I seriously hope that is not the first time you heard that. :?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #31
RCC Addict

my steering nuckle broke too they need lots more reinforcement
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Did you actually think that they would take back your broken crawler after you repainted it and modded it?

Just like with almost every other item on a shelf, the minute you modify it or repaint it you usually void the warrenty.

I seriously hope that is not the first time you heard that. :?

I haven't tried to take it back yet, but I will see tomorrow. No, its not the first time I have heard this, but I doubt the person at walmart will even notice the different color.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 AM   #33

Default 1/6 crawler

#1 my jeeps front diff was in low and the rear diff was stuck in high.

# 2 crawling down a dirt hill my front diff let go.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 08-16-2005 at 04:38 PM. Reason: illegal use of the :flipoff: guy
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

I guess some of yall are extremely rough on them. I have had mine for roughly 2 weeks, and have yet to break a thing. The cage is roughed up and the skid/axles.

I do have to say though this is exactly what I was looking for to start getting into RC crawling. I wasn't sure I wanted to drop $150+ into something and not enjoy it. I love it with this rig, and am buying one of the Jeep's tonight.
CuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs down

I brought home one of the 1/18 Scorpions today and charged it up. Before the truck even ran 5 minutes, the steering wouldn't center and 7 minutes into it's first run, the front gearbox quit working! It was acting like a hung brush; with a push, it would start to drive again, but very slowly compared to the rear axle. It was pretty impressive for what it was while it was running right, but I didn't get to kill the pack once yet! It's back in the box and going back to the store tonight. I'll save up and try out the 1/6th scorpion when it finally becomes available. At least if that one dies I can re-use the body on one of my other crawlers...
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

broken:

i'm the second one

Stu
1bigtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

I think my shifting gears are getting worn out. I only shift when I'm at full stop so I don't know how it is happening. The performance is the same but the gears grinding makes me cringe. If they wear out and it won't shift anymore I guess I'll leave it in low and call the hotline for replacement parts.
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #38

Hi Digger, this is Cristy from Nylint. If you haven't done so already, please do not return this item to the store. Please call our customer service line at 1-800-882-3808 or email at customerservice@funrise.com so that we can address this problem for you immediately.
Nylint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, but it already went back last night...
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Angry

my second one finaly broke i was driving up a pile of rocks and half way up i heard a pop then the rear axle did not engage whats wrong??????????????
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote