Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: gear reduction and selection thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default gear reduction and selection thoughts

the "toughness" of switching gears is clearly not because of the gearsets, but because of how the switch is held in place. if the switch was shaved on the sides, a small servo could actuate the selection fork no problem. just a thought

i was in the hobby shop today looking at the tamiya 280 planetary reduction units. it looks exactly like the reduction in the tranny except the colors, end gear, and cutout for high gear. does anyone have one laying around that could be used for testing? my gears havent broken so i had no need to buy the tamiya parts. it is highly probable that they are in fact from the same moulds.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Give me about two more packs through my Nylint and the front reduction unit will be toast. It grinds like mad if the wheels get turned and I'm gettin' on the power
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Give me about two more packs through my Nylint and the front reduction unit will be toast. It grinds like mad if the wheels get turned and I'm gettin' on the power

that is your steering gear stripping dude, whole nother part entirely I have broken 2 in the last day. It will stop stearing all together soon. I feel your pain bro.
Surfzup2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfzup2k4
that is your steering gear stripping dude, whole nother part entirely I have broken 2 in the last day. It will stop stearing all together soon. I feel your pain bro.

Nope. It's not. Trust me. It'll do it going straight too. It's once there is a load placed onto the front axle, like having the wheels at full lock and giving it forward power, the reduction unit slips badly. I can do it by hand as well but I'd rather break it while driving it and not testing by hand. I have had the steering cover off enough times to know that it's not the steering at fault. It turns great by the way, otherwise I'd mention the steering
Old 08-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #5

oh ok, cool. I wish the two I had bought didn't have steering problems. I must have gotten some out of a bad batch. I love these things but this i super annoying. I would hold onto them, but what is to say I won't buy a replacement part, and it won't break 2-3 minutes into operation as well? :(
Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfzup2k4
oh ok, cool. I wish the two I had bought didn't have steering problems. I must have gotten some out of a bad batch. I love these things but this i super annoying. I would hold onto them, but what is to say I won't buy a replacement part, and it won't break 2-3 minutes into operation as well? :(
Just gut it and drop in real electronics.

XRS esc, micro receiver, small servo(~50 oz.in.) and have fun. Then build a super mini "Stick" chassis for it... true mini Clod.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #7

What is the cheapest something like that could happen for? That is my main concern.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

if you have No electronics, then at least 100 bones. if you got killer deals or used items. if you already have the radio, then esc and servo could be had for 100 new or less.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #9

thanks, but for that price I think I will just go with the 1:6 and baby it. Sorry for the thread hijack dude, I just thought about that!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think real electrics and a mini stick would be awsome. It'd be neat to see how well it would actually perform.
Rockinrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in here.

I have the tamiya planetary gear box. Some parts are the same, some are different.

The round casings that hold the 3 planetary gears together have different little nubs that are designed to align them to one another. But you can cut the nubs off and they fit together.

All the gearing is the same pitch and everything, but some of the internal gear covers are different. hard to explain.

I just added a second 5:1 gear reduction to the Nylint gear box. But upon installation, I'm afraid to cut away the "support cups" that cradle the motor and locate it properly. If I cut these away I'm afraid I'll get grinding and slipping.

Now, if I had 2 of the Tamiya gear boxes, I could replace the first 4:1 gear set found in the nylint gearbox with a 5:1 from the Tamiya. This way, the nylint gearbox will be the same size and will fit back in the axle with no modifications. I did this on the rear axle, and it is a little slower than the front. Not quite as slow as a dual case though, but it will cause a whole lot less problems. Only problem is you would have to buy 2 of the ~$20 Tamiya planetary gearboxes, because you need 2 additional little gears.

I cant remember if the tamiya gear box came with any spare gears or not, I thought it might have, but I lost the box that had any leftovers in it. :(
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote