Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Spring modifications?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #1

Default Spring modifications?

Ok, it's fun....but I keep tipping the thing over. Haven't cut the coils yet, going to take 3 out.

No real point past this....but I am wondering if taking three coils out is enough. It just doesn't flex like it's big brother.
mnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

I think there's a few guys that removed the springs all together on the 1:18 version.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I removed the springs because I couldn't find my snips. Now that I have I will be cutting. But it is definately a good idea to either remove or cut from the get go.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 PM   #4

This thing requires a whole different world of finesse than my real Jeep. That's for certain. I think I need to cut a few coils out and cut the tires a bit.

I think I will have to build a better battery too

This thing is great though-I've wanted another RC for a while....when I saw this and the price I couldn't pass it up.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjeeper
This thing requires a whole different world of finesse than my real Jeep. That's for certain.

Think about it though, its actually the same finesse. The size of inclines and obstacles you are tackling with the truck in relation to its size are way larger than you'd attempt in your jeep. The only other variable is the instananeous torque electric motors offer that a gas engine can't. If you've driven a hybrid (prius or accord) you know exactly what I am talking about.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Think about it though, its actually the same finesse. The size of inclines and obstacles you are tackling with the truck in relation to its size are way larger than you'd attempt in your jeep.

You haven't seen my Jeep ;)

It's different because of the weight distribution and the wheelbase to track width differennce mainly. You are also correct on the electric motor thing, that will take some getting used to.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i took 5 coils out of mine. flexes like it does without coils at all... i just has some spring now and sits 1/2" higher...
4RunnerKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjeeper
You haven't seen my Jeep ;)

It's different because of the weight distribution and the wheelbase to track width differennce mainly. You are also correct on the electric motor thing, that will take some getting used to.

Yeah I know, all you pirate guys jumped over here. I know you guys have some serious rigs, but even then, just think about how small changes in the rocks you drive with the RC's are the equivalent of feet of difference for your 1:1 jeep. What's interesting though is the fact that these would have a better center of gravity than your jeep since most of the weight is in the axles. Remind me not to drive with you
Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Fullsize equivalent would be most minimal frame you can think of with rockwells and say 35s to 37s. Glue a big heavy rock to the hood and it might adjust the weight distribution for ya. Then you'd roll even more.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #10

Ok, At First I Took All Off It Off That Helped Big Time. Then I Went Ahead And Cut 4 1/2 Coil's Off And That's Where It Sit's Work's Just As Good As Having NO Spring's But A Smooth Ride.......
MOB-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Smooth Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB-40
Ok, At First I Took All Off It Off That Helped Big Time. Then I Went Ahead And Cut 4 1/2 Coil's Off And That's Where It Sit's Work's Just As Good As Having NO Spring's But A Smooth Ride.......
Smooth Ride?
Are you SITTING ON IT?
slashsplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM   #12

NO JUST RIDE OF IT WITH NO SPRING'S IS CHOPPY AND ALL OVER THE PLACE. WITH A LITTLE BIT OF SPRING MAKE'S IT BETTER AGINE....
MOB-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #13

I cut 3-4 coils off it for today. A little better. I guess the throttle response is a bit touchy. I can do the same spot twice and if I get the throttle as light as I want, I can walk it...a little too fast and I flop. Learning curve, but it's fun