Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How I painted my Nylint Crawler & Painting tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How I painted my Nylint Crawler & Painting tips

ok first comes the stupid warning, this won't apply to most people but there are a special few. if you follow this artical, i am in no way responcible for your actions or my spelling

So to start, you will need one of these: a GOOD plastsic primer(pease don't be cheap with this), your color coats(a black and same silver from my truck), and a clear coat. I used a few brands of paint, mostly Plasti-kote.

After you completely take abpart your body you can start to prep

I used a S.O.S pad to scuff my truck up, my friend used a fine grit sand paper, whatever makes hundreds of scrachs you can use. Make sure to get every inch of what you are going to paint preped(scrached up) before you shoot your primer or IT WILL PEEL(small story behind that later)

Now you would start laying thin coats of primer over your surface, i put three, alot of people say that is over kill, i say that i build overkill stuff

After letting the primer coat dry, I sprayed my color coat. I put 4 coats of color on, again over kill.

-i think on automotive paint the correct thing to do is wet sand the primer, that alittle much for what i was doing.

Now, this step is optional. I really like the looks of a two tone but my asshole friend that was painting this body was going too fast and didn't let me get enough pics so after another here is the other color:

Ok, like i said about my friend once, he didn't let me get enough pics, so your next task would be to take off any masking tape if you used any and spray a few coats of clear on the body. after giving it proper time to dry, start to put all the peases back together.

Ok all the litle things:

-First, the number of coats of paint are up to you, only spary one or put on ten, all it takes is time.

-If you two toned it, you can wet sand where the two colors meet for a smoother finsh.

-here is what happens with a poor prep job:

Ok, i'm sure(more like hope) people will have questions and comments on this. I know i left a ton of stuff out and missed a bunch of pics that i will try to get more of. I havn't even seen this body completely done yet so i'm kinda waiting to see too. i will get pics ASAP.

Stu

EDIT: here are some pics of the finshed body, still bare.

Stu

Last edited by 1bigtracker; 08-22-2005 at 03:32 PM.
1bigtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i just used Rustoleum Paint For Plastic... i haven't had a problem with it flaking off at all. it's held up to many, many rolls too... this is on a 1:18, by the way...
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
i just used Rustoleum Paint For Plastic... i haven't had a problem with it flaking off at all. it's held up to many, many rolls too... this is on a 1:18, by the way...
are the bodys hard plastic? the 1:6 are very flexable thin plastic.

Stu
Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigtracker
are the bodys hard plastic? the 1:6 are very flexable thin plastic.

Stu
they're pretty thin plastic... at least i think so... (haven't seen a 1:6 in person yet) they might be harder than the 1:6 ones though...

Last edited by 4RunnerKid; 08-19-2005 at 12:13 AM.
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

My 1:18 jeep is real thick plastic almost like a model its hard.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #6

I used Krylon Fusion and that crap is the SH!T!!! Sure, it rubs off but for what I put this thing through, it better. For anyone that doesn't want to prep for 6 hours, rough up the surface with steel wool or a loght Scotchbrite pad, make sure you get in all the corners....the spray away. Krylon Fusion is the ****!!
spencurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I used a wire brush to scratch the **** out of my truck then painted it with the American Tradition(Lowes brand) Plastic paint and it bonded great. I have abuse the **** out of my truck and it keeps taking a beating.
Esteban86K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

I was at Lowe's today getting stuff for the bathroom...saw a couple of different types of plastic paint there.

One was a paint sold by Valspar and didn't need a special primer.

Then there was a Valspar primer that allowed you to spray enamels over it.

Thought I'd share.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #9

I used Krylon Plastic Fusion, it worked well. One thing it says on the can is that it's made for smooth plastic, I don't think theres any real point in roughin up the surface. I didn't use any primer either. I started by completely disassembling the body, painting everything black, then taping it off and painting the white sections, heres some pics right after I painted it:

You might also notice that I trimmed the front fenders due to the fact that they kept getting caught. I also trimmed the rear for better clearance.

The paint has held up very well, heres a pic after a night of hard wheelin:

EDIT:
Does anyone know how to remove the blue links? I wanted to take them off and paint them white but they had little pins in there I dont know how to remove.

Last edited by 911rc; 08-20-2005 at 01:31 PM.
911rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rc
Does anyone know how to remove the blue links? I wanted to take them off and paint them white but they had little pins in there I dont know how to remove.
i had the same idea, but they are riveted(more like pressed) in. i'm not sure how you would go about removing them. My friend was lucky as his hadn't been pressed yet and I took them out completely. this link hasn't fallen off yet.

- i would like to say that i also like how you put a color insert on the hood, it really contrasts the black nicely, think i might do the same to mine next time its up for paint.

Stu

Edit: Can I get a closer look at how you cut the fenders?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I used Plasti-kote fast dry enamel on mine. I used crome & flat black. It made it look like an alum. body. It has held up extremely well! It took 2 cans cause they are small. Pictures coming soon:
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote