RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   How should I wire the motors? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/14243-how-should-i-wire-motors.html)

bugman72 08-19-2005 11:22 AM

How should I wire the motors?

I'm going to be getting a Scorpion in the next few days and plan to immediately take out the stock ESC/Receiver and steering motor. I race Losi Mini-Ts and have an extra stock Losi ESC/Receiver combo and stock Mini-T servo that I'm going to use along with one of my custom 7.2V 2000MAh 2-cell Lithium-Ion battery packs (two 18650 cells).

I'm wondering what's the best way to wire the two motors to my ESC? Do I wire them in parallel or series? I'm sure it can be done either way, but I want to make sure that I do it the correct way so I don't overheat my motors or my ESC.

***EDIT***

I think I have answered my own question. From what I've been reading about wiring motors on Clod crawlers, you should wire them in parallel, going from the ESC to the rear motor (+ to +, - to -) then from the rear motor to the front motor. Now, since the ESC will be in the center and the wires are already run, could I just as easily tie the two sets of positives together and the two sets of negatives together from the motors and connect these two sets to the + and - of the ESC?

Fall_Ryan 08-19-2005 11:50 AM

I wouldn't try that... The motors would pull too many amps and fry the Losi PCB.

Also I dobut the Mini-T servo has enough torque to move this things wheels.

bugman72 08-19-2005 12:01 PM

You really think that the two motors that are in there will be pulling more than 5A (that's what the current draw limit is on my batteries)? I know that the current draw is doubled when running them parallel. I'm running a tuned Graupner Speed 300 in my on-road Mini-T and have had no problems, and I know that it draws somewhere around 3.5-4A on stall.

Does anyone have any idea on what the amp draw would be with the two motors wired parallel? I guess I could try running them in series, since I'm using Lithium-Ions, which have a better delivery-power band than NiCads or NiMhs. I'm sure I'll lose SOME power, but I think it won't be as noticable with the Ions as it would with the stock Ni-Cad pack.

Fall_Ryan 08-19-2005 03:08 PM

It has two 380's... You'll be pulling WAY over 5 Amps, More like 15 or 20.

bugman72 08-19-2005 04:09 PM

I didn't realize that they were 380s. Man, those seem awfully big!!! If that's the case, I'm hosed in using the Lithiums, then. What if I wired them in series? That would at least help keep the amp load down.

I guess I'll go the next route and try and find a small ESC and standard servo. I already have a micro receiver and Futaba Mag Jr Radio (75mhz).