Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: building my own crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

awesome idea! i would have bought prebuilt axles out of one of the many kits on here but awesome idea.
alot of us are on a budget! how much do you have into this?
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

also you might look into how you could do a berg like setup on selectable diggs front and rear the duel motor set up is ideal for that situation.
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT18T View Post
Nice videos. The more I see it perform, the more respect I have for your build. I would love to see some bigger tires on it.
Yea, me too. I have to hand it to you bulu, you've really made a hell of an effort here with very little to work with.

You definitely need some bigger tires. As good as it's doing with 4WD buggy tires, some real crawling tires would definitely improve it's performance (and looks too)

Another thing I noticed - maybe think about sleeving your links with Delrin or aluminum tubing. It will stiffen them up so there's less flex as the suspension articulates.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #64
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Yea, me too. I have to hand it to you bulu, you've really made a hell of an effort here with very little to work with.

You definitely need some bigger tires. As good as it's doing with 4WD buggy tires, some real crawling tires would definitely improve it's performance (and looks too)

Another thing I noticed - maybe think about sleeving your links with Delrin or aluminum tubing. It will stiffen them up so there's less flex as the suspension articulates.
the links are 3mm stainless steel threaded rod , but i will look in to it ... thanks
buju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

bigger tyres are on the agenda , I originally wanted to model this build on a mini type crawler , with 2.2 wheels , but as things progressed ....well this is how it worked out ... Im on holiday now for a week , when i get back work will start again ...

btw , any suggestions for 1/8 wheels and tyres at a good price ?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #66

Hey, i used to race an old 1/8 ofna 9.5 and it used the same hubs as the ofna monster trucks, throw some dominator rims and tires or Try putting some 6th scale nylint tires or some original clod tires and it would be bad.
NorCal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #67
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buju View Post
ok , i know some of you are "laughing" at my B&D motor setup :
buju, I'm not laughing at all. I totally appreciate what you have done, and how you have made me rethink how to do things. My job requires me to come up with creative solutions every day, and I wish I had help from someone like you. You truly are one of THE MOST creative people on this forum, and anyone that laughs at you needs to take a serious look at what they have accomplished, and see if it measures up to your work. I still look at your thread with astonishment and admiration. Keep up the good work!!

Juan
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
buju, I'm not laughing at all. I totally appreciate what you have done, and how you have made me rethink how to do things. My job requires me to come up with creative solutions every day, and I wish I had help from someone like you. You truly are one of THE MOST creative people on this forum, and anyone that laughs at you needs to take a serious look at what they have accomplished, and see if it measures up to your work. I still look at your thread with astonishment and admiration. Keep up the good work!!

Juan
hey , no problem , my job also requires a lot of out the box thinking ....
what Ive tried to do here is something low budget but high tech ....
watch for my bigger wheel conversion coming very soon ....
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #69
Rock Stacker

very cool build. i also appreciate the thinking out of the box style.

keep it up.

and to the people who are thinking he has to high of cog, hes not running 2.2 tires so it just looks smaller. if he had some 2.2 size tires or 1/8 off road truck tire it will even out the appearance of high cog.

again sweet build keep the pics coming.
ian48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

actually i think his COG is too high based on the 2nd vid. If there is some way you could put a 2.2 crawler tire on it...then lower the chassis height a bit you will get much better performance. When you tried to climb that red rock in the 2nd vid what killed you was your cog...you got the nose up a bit and gravity did the rest. Just needs some fine tuning and youll be good to go.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

Default big wheels are on - pics

what do you guys think ?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

for building ur own crawler that thing is sick keep up the good work
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Awesome!!! I love seeing resourceful ingenuity in action
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

I'm so loving this build, it reminds me of when RCC first started and we were trying new things all the time, it taught me a lot about building crawlers.
this is one thing that is lost in todays world of out of the box crawlers. keep on building ,breaking and rebuilding.
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #76
Rock Stacker

Default thank you to everyone

I would like to thank all you people who have posted here with words of encouragement and advice , there have been times when I just wanted to give up on this build as there have been many problems that I have had to solve and things that I have had to do and re do until I got it right , without this forum and the members here I might have given up but you guys have kept me going , this build is now 99 % finished (its never quite completed ....) , again thanks for all the posts and views , feel free to email / pm me so I can return a good favour with any advice that I can assist with ( anyone in JHB South Africa welcome ) , and seasons greetings to all of you for 2009.

Desmond

PS , we need a crawler club here in JHB South Africa ....

PPS: got this on order: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=023

Last edited by buju; 01-02-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buju View Post
I would like to thank all you people who have posted here with words of encouragement and advice , there have been times when I just wanted to give up on this build as there have been many problems that I have had to solve and things that I have had to do and re do until I got it right , without this forum and the members here I might have given up but you guys have kept me going , this build is now 99 % finished (its never quite completed ....) , again thanks for all the posts and views , feel free to email / pm me so I can return a good favour with any advice that I can assist with ( anyone in JHB South Africa welcome ) , and seasons greetings to all of you for 2009.

Desmond

PS , we need a crawler club here in JHB South Africa ....
I have been watching this, at at first... im going to be honest but i thought "fail"
i didnt say anything because i saw some hope in this whole build
you continue to amaze me time and time again and brought a whole new perspective to the term "Custom crawler"
My hat is off to you for your ingenuity, bravery, and overall skill in fabricating
Continue to build and build and keep it going man we all love to see you do it while we sit here and think about it
congrats and good luck
47willysbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #78
RCC Addict

Alright man, you earned it. 5 stars!!!

Glad you made it through.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #79
Rock Stacker

Talking wheels spacers added

well I suppose it never ends ...lol , I got tired of my rig falling over to the sides , so the quickest and easiest way to solve this problem is to add wheel spacers to increase the track. Here are some pics , no vids yet but the results are awesome , on obstacles that I had trouble getting over it now just flies over them , side to side stability has improved 100 percent ....

back wheels only

front and back

fabrication : some copper pipe , some solid steel pipe , some holes ....

before and after

Last edited by buju; 01-04-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add another pic
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #80
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Alright man, you earned it. 5 stars!!!

Glad you made it through.
5 from me too .....one of my favorite builds on here .
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote