Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Headlights & Taillights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Headlights & Taillights?

Just lookin at the body of my 1:6 jeep tonight as the battery is charging back up.. Anyone thought of putting some high intensity LEDs in for some headlamps? Mabye even add some rock lights as well? With its pretty nice reserve, the 12v battery pack has some potential to drive accessories, especially for those wanting to add to the scale crawler look.

Some tailights would be cool as well. Wire them up so that they go bright when stopped, and dim when travelling to simulate braking. Wouldn't be too hard to do with a simple circuit.
datz510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #2

already have a few ideas myself. but ive been working on my hurt rear axle today...
i thought of a way to make some cool rock lights that dont use any batteries. i know its a tease but lemme look into it before i say any more...
SolaceOfWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i'm looking into doing this on my 1:18 also... definitely post up when you get it all figured out. i'd like to see what you come up with.
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaceOfWinter
already have a few ideas myself. but ive been working on my hurt rear axle today...
i thought of a way to make some cool rock lights that dont use any batteries. i know its a tease but lemme look into it before i say any more...
solar?

Stu
1bigtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #5

but you use lights at night no sun for soler power LOL
xtremecrawler504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #6

pretty close...
ill look into the project more today, have the rear axle fixed etc.
SolaceOfWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #7

I was gonna run some lights off an LED and a 9V or something.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #8

LOL...was just thinking about that myself while I had mine torn down today for paint and body work.

If you havent yet, go ahead and take the front end apart on your body (grill, stinger, etc.) There is a great place to mount Hi-intensity LEDS on the grill "backing plate" for lack of a better term. Use standard LED snap in mounts, and it will be easy.

Tail lights might be harder since surface mount LEDs would be easiest to maintain the low profile of the lenses, and soldering SMT is difficult without experience, unless you do away with the stock lenses and just mount single standard intensity leds using snap in mounts. Then you will have the look all us Jeep guys go for anyway...Round tail lights!!!

As far as rock lights, I am still working on that one (mounting locations and such...)

For power, rather than tap the 12v the Jeep already has, I am thinking about mounting batteries (nimh aa cells) in holders under the Tonneu (sp?) cover, and adding a switch and charge jack so the lighting will be self contained on the body...makes it easier to get the body on and off for charging...no extra wires to disconnect.

If you do use LEDS, dont forget your dropping resistors....a quick search on the web will tell you how to caculate the value needed for different LEDS based on voltage and LED specs, (if you dont already know how to do this)

Gotta go dig thru my parts bin and see what LEDS I have in stock....

Tim
AG4RZ
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 AM   #9

does anyone have any pix of there nylint with headlights?
homer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I think the simlplest method here would be to buys some T-Maxx lights and extend the wiring, it comes all wired up to a 9v holder, Ram makes all kinds of stuff like this.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #11

yeah, I just order some of those.cant wait till they get here
homer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #12

I just got the T-maxx light harness for x-maxx. it has head, tail, and stop lights with a switch. I thinck there going to work great
jeepncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

There is a long thread on this in the forum somewhere...I really don't feel like looking right now though. Christian
MTUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:01 AM   #14

Default got me some lights

ok guys ready for this? I have 2 blue LED's in the front and 2 clears in the back.now I run them off of 4AA's that are in a battery pack from radio shack and it has an on/off switch too and wires comeing off it so it makes it easy.ok first I drilled holes in the front and rear and stuck the LED's in,you have to buy LED holders seperate as well,then I found a place for my battery pack which is under my cover in the bed,then I ran wire through the ant. hole and connected all my wire together.I put a hole in the cover so I can turn the lights on and off and the batt. are rechargeable,so when they go dead I take off the cover and recharge and there ready by night time. The blue lights look realy cool compared to all the other guys that have clears.tommorow I will be putting on my rock lights and they will be clear and I will be useing another batt.pack of 4. the LEDs put out like 3.2v and 4 AA's are like3.8 so need more to keep them bright. I'll let ya'll know how that goes..and everything was baught at radio shack and DONT FORGET ON THE LEDS THE SHORT WIRE IS THE GROUND I sodered them together and checked before I did it because radio shack wasnt sure. and for the setup was only like $15 or so OHH I TAPED THE WIRES TO THE BOTTOM I'LL GET SOME PICS ON HERE SOON SO YOU HAVE SOME REFERENCE
toylxl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i have head lights and tail lights in mine running off the stock battery from the 18th scale nylint. my head lights are not super bright but they are bright enough. and the tail lights look really cool at night when you roll over.
roadkill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #16

I cut up my wiring harness on my T-MAXX lights and connected a 7.2 car batt to the lights, the lights run from 7.2-9.0. I put a small toggle switch in line and mounted the switch in place of the fake gear shifter on the jeep body to mimic a real one. I have mounted everything and it works great. Now I am waiting for some off-road lights in aluminum housings, a fold away lightbar with lights, and an (air horn sound) speaker that I ordered.

jeepncowboy
jeepncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #17

Default Lights!

I ordered a bunch of supplies to wire these jeeps for headlights! I ordered LED's LED holders, battery connectors, switches, etc. I am going to be testing what works best and stuff when my LED's get here, but will probably be selling all my extra parts when i get it right cause i ordered a lot!
toycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #18
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
i'm looking into doing this on my 1:18 also... definitely post up when you get it all figured out. i'd like to see what you come up with.

Working on 1/18th lights
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:46 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I Would Use A 9 Volt Connector And Hook Up 4 Lights On A 9 Volt And The Roof Lamps And That Can All Be Picked Up At Radio Shack
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #20

I'll get some pics of my lights tomorrow night for y'all.
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote