Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Anyone burn servo's with tq3?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone burn servo's with tq3?

Hey guys, just talked to the guy at a store in town about parts i'm going to use to build my ax10.

I mentioned the traxxas tq3 radio because it's cheap and so am i.

also i can use it for a dig, or mod it for a rear steer down the road.

he told me i should buy a really expensive radio because those ones you cant program and end point in a servo and it will burn them out.

Anyone done this? I can see his point but would a guy like me who doesn't compete just smashes around the house/yard/wherever really be affected?

Thanks.
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you'll need endpoints, even if you just crawl around your house(im %99 sure about it, correct me if im wrong).... here's a link: How To: Convert a Traxxas TQ3 for 4ws
or type in tq3 mod in search.
I was gonna go this route but after reading about everything I'd have to do, I just paid for the DX3R(lazy, had money, didnt think I'd be able to do it).... Im happy with the dx3r(easy set up), but, yes-its expensive and probably not worth it if you are just gonna crawl around your house.
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Rear steer wouldn't be too big an issue once the third channel has the toggle mod. You'll just have to play with linkage a little bit so at full travel the servo isn't fighting to go further.

Dig on the other hand would be much tougher. The aftermarket dig kits maybe use half of the servo travel. It would burn up a servo quick if not setup right.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I've used TQ3 radios for years. Long before any of these newer radios were available. We're talking everything for very fast street cars, to brushless boats, to crawlers. Maybe I've been lucky but I've only burnt up a couple of servos in my time, and they were cheap ones.

If you read that article further you'll see this response from one of the guys:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave View Post
It has been said that they help with return to center? I don't run them, neither does anyone else. From what I recall, the hobby shop that AdamF talked to to learn about this, they said you had to run them... They are wrong ;)
And this was regarding caps, not end point pots.

From my experience I'd say match your electronics. Sure, if you're going to use high end digital servos, go ahead and pony up the extra cash for the high end radio.

Look at it like this. Traxxas has been offering these radios for years with their ground vehicles. I think if there were serious issues they would have addressed them by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
Rear steer wouldn't be too big an issue once the third channel has the toggle mod. You'll just have to play with linkage a little bit so at full travel the servo isn't fighting to go further.

Dig on the other hand would be much tougher. The aftermarket dig kits maybe use half of the servo travel. It would burn up a servo quick if not setup right.
An excellent point. Always make sure that your linkage is set up correct and you have no binding. Stopping a servo before it reaches the end of it's travel will definitely burn them up.

Last edited by insanerc; 11-09-2008 at 05:58 PM.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Bashers can get by without endpoints better than a crawler. More times than you realize,a crawler will spend 90% of it's run time with the steering pinned against the stops. Back in the day,allot of guys got away with using a TQ3 simply cause most guys ran analog servos. Even running analog servo's without end point adjustments,you'll still eventually burn them up. You'll be money ahead getting a radio with end point adjustments. Your servo's will stay cooler and last longer.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well everything I said is based on experience, and not just back in the day I might add. I've had a lot of hours on my heavy clod super with very little problems. Be that as it may, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you have the money then sure, go out and invest in a high end, 2.4 GHz radio. You will probably be happier in the long run, and avoid the need (or want) to upgrade later. But if your strapped on cash, and still feel epa is that important it's an easy mod that you can do yourself. A TQ3 and some cheap epa pots from Radio Shack will get you there. Here's the article with the full write up. My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

Pretty simple stuff, all and all.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I've ran a Tq3 with hitec 5995 digital servos for about two years. I have put some serious miles on this set up. The only time I had any trouble was my own fault. I shut the radio off while the tires were pinned. Meanwhile the servos were trying to return to center and we'll just say things got a little smoky. Fortunately Hitec has the best customer service ever and they replaced it free of charge. Any way it sounds like this guy just wants you to dump more money in his store. Tq3 is a perfect low dollar solution.
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good then guys, i will run the Tq3 and save my money. Thanks
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote