Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd R2hd + R2d ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Rc4wd R2hd + R2d ??????

Ok here is my question, does anyone know if the R2HD will accept the disconnect from a R2D?

What I would like is the blue R2HD with disconnect.

It looks like it was designed for this but RC4WD does not sell one setup like this. I was told by them to order the R2HD + the parts kit for the R2D & let them know if it works.

I don't really wish to be the guinea pig on this & have another $100 tied up in parts that I can't use.

Has anyone tried this or have enough experience with the R2 trans to know if this would work or not?

Here is why I think it would work:

tubed-n-lubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks plausible, the oly thing that i would see that needs modification is the output shaft on the R2HD. it wont be a bolt on. and you cant use the one from the original R2 because the R2HD is obviously longer.

if your willing to experiment, go for it. if its not in the budget. hold off untill someone else tries it out.

this thread should spark up a lightbulb in someones head that already has these parts in hand.

good luck
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I had originally wanted to convert a regular R2 to a R2D but was told it wouldn't work without alot of modifying. I never looked into it any further than that.

I have never gotten my hands on a R2D so I don't know exactly how they work. I assume the output shaft on the R2HD would need to be replaced or shortened and notched for the coupler.

I've got a R2 (not R2D) and a R2HD though, so if you need some measurements or something, let me know. I would also be interested in this if it worked.

RC4WD should make their tranny stuff interchangeable. A 2 speed R2HDd would be the cats pajama's
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well they got back to me again last night & said that the internals are different & that it would not work, but that was answer #3.

Answer #1: no
Answer #2 after sending the above picture: you can order the dig parts & the R2HD....Let me know if it works.
Answer #3: no the engineers said it won't work. The gears inside is not the same, even those holes does like similar, it wont line up.

So I guess I am still looking for a dig setup, I am thinking that the DNA VF dig has the best surface engagement area for the dig which I would think would make it more dependable/longer lasting.

What other combos are out there that could be recommended?

I am still thinking about the "FT" dig & using the ax10 trans mirror trick & the "FT" dig mod to work with the axial trans. Another deciding factor could be what is available! The ft is in stock but I am not able to find the VF in stock anywhere.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post

RC4WD should make their tranny stuff interchangeable. A 2 speed R2HDd would be the cats pajama's
Yeah that would be perfect! Thanks for the measurement offer!

I guess I will keep looking for the perfect dig, I like the enclosed design of the R2 series but it looks like hot racing has a copy of it but I can't get an answer as to if the hot racing low cg trans was designed to work with the hot racing dig. I would assume so but then I had assumed the R2 stuff was interchangeable.