Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Shaving Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Shaving Shocks

Well i stopped by walmart and seen these things. Did a search on the net and found you guys so picked one up. I've owned many RC's and raced quite a few including, assocaited gt's and t3's, t-maxx and e-maxx, hpi rush, maximum st, and a nitro rustler. Been around them a while and still must say i am very impressed!

I've been looking at mods on here and what i can do on my own. Skid plates are off now and it helped a little. Belly needs A LOT of help. I've got the body apart for paint today but i think i'll tear into the chassis too. I've seen about relocating the upper shock mount point. How much did this help?

I want to take the shock apart and see if you can cut down the shock body to allow for more travel. Theres still a lot of flex left in the back before it hits the body and even then the body can be trimmed.

I also heard about drilling a hole in the rim for better air flow in and out of the tire. Good thinking. I was hoping it was a two piece tire and i can drill holes in the front before i paint the wheels to add some realism. Haven't got that far.

I will also be adding lights. I ran a set of LED's on a CJ8 body i had on my t-maxx. Ran it off a couple AA's that i had mounted inside in a small battery pack. Would run forever and were bright enough to light up reflectors on cars when it drove down the road.

Well those are couple plans, if anyone has some input please let me know!

Nick
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I noticed someone did shave down the boddies of the shocks. How much can you take off before the shaft will pull out?

i'm mostly concerned with modding the back and belly pan.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #3

not sure,I havent seen that. can you show a pic of the shaved shocks?
homer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i can't.... i never seen a picture but it was mentioned. It just seems like the bottom of the shock seems very restrictive. Like if it were shaved down 1/4" it would allow a great deal more wheel movement. Its just a strange design for a shock. Its so long but the stroke is so short.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i think the shcoks are matched fine in factory form. I'm pretty sure you can't take gain anything from cutting the shock bodys. i was the one of the first to move the upper shock mounts to gain travel and it worked out perfect. i stuffed both front and rear tires up into the wheelwells and the body is what is limiting travel. I haven't driven it in about a week and am starting to get pissed off about this "customer service".

-also on one of the axles there are bump stops right where the piviot is on the axle, dremeil those off and you'll get more flex.

-really what is limiting the front is the blue link that connects the axle to the chassie. it hits the steering motor on the front axle. you need to notch the arm to make it clear the steerng motor.

-there are also some problems coming up with the axles/steering so you should read up on that.

Stu
1bigtracker is offline   Reply With Quote