Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4 Wheel Steering!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #1

Default 4 Wheel Steering!!

WOOOHOOO I got my 4 wheel steering to work tonight...sorta. I have it crab walking (accidently got the polarity wrong ) I ran out of butt-splice connectors, so I'll get more tomorrow, rewire it, set the steering trim, then take better pics. BTW, crab walking sideways down the hall is pimp as hell. Right now, the only pics I have are on a cell phone so we're SOL till tomorrow when I can get my brother's camera and take pics. I encourage anyone that has 2 of the Jeeps to do the 4WS conversion, it's not that hard and is definately gonna be worth it.
f0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

$300 though, but then you have a parts truck!

i'm gonna do it on my 1:18th for sure
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #3

Yea, but between me and my brothers, we have 4. Oh well, they will lose interest eventually and then I can just absorb theirs into my collection.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #4

One idea that was mentioned in another thread was ditching the low to high range selector and have it switch the polarity on the 4WS so the rears can either crabwalk or give a tighter turning radius. Any plans on giving that a try?
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

butt splice connectors??? Man you really must be a 1:1 guy. Saudering the leads together and then using shrink wrap provides a much much much better connection on these smaller wires.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave
One idea that was mentioned in another thread was ditching the low to high range selector and have it switch the polarity on the 4WS so the rears can either crabwalk or give a tighter turning radius. Any plans on giving that a try?

As of right now, no. One of my axles is messing up on the gear switch, so currently I have the range selection disabled. Crabwalking would be nice, but I feel the tighter turning radius is much better for what I do. Besides, I HATE wiring stuff, so the easier it is, the better it is for me. I just want to get the wiring done tomorrow, then go drive it. Note to all those attempting this mod: The suspension arms are different front to rear, with the fronts being ~1/4" shorter and having a different screw pattern that attaches them to the axle. It will shorten your wheelbase slightly, but not too much. I also inboarded my rear shock mounts, got alot more flex out of it now.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
butt splice connectors??? Man you really must be a 1:1 guy. Saudering the leads together and then using shrink wrap provides a much much much better connection on these smaller wires.

We have a winner, I'm 1:1 to the core. I have a soldering iron, but no shrink wrap or solder itself. It's not like I'm buildin a comp crawler.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

wow that is awsome! i also like the fact that you used butt connectors, lord knows there are about 1000 of them on my trucklit LOL

Stu
1bigtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #9

Can we see some pictures???? not that i dont belvie.... but a picture would be nice....also maybe a pic of your wireing job
cypress2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:42 PM   #10

Well I just broke my rear axle tonight, might buy another chassis and use the front axle to repalce the rear.
911rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #11

Well, I picked up more butt-splice connectors today, and some soldering wire (I'll solder them once I figure out what the correct connections are), so within an hour or so I oughta have a 4 wheel steering 1:6 Jeep. I'll get pics once I'm done.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:23 PM   #12

Arg...I think I might have just fried the rear steer servo/motor. I was switching the polarity, and I hooked up the battery to test it, and all of the sudden the rear wheels snapped over to the right, and I heard the steering servo go CLICK-CLICK-CLICK, then nothing. I'm in the process of tearing it down right now...Hopefully its easy to fix...if not, I'll find a way to mount a new steering servo in there....
Old 08-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Hmmmmm i didnt think you could change polarity on digital servos. Could be wrong. I thought you had to flip the servo upside down or backwards or something.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #14
RCC Addict

got pics
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #15

WOOOHOOO I messed with it more earlier, rewired the steering motors and that fixed my earlier problems. I haven't hooked the return-to-center back up yet, so handling is fawked, but it's cool as hell. Gotta figure out the return to center, then do the final wiring, then I'll put pics up. It's pimp.