Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lightweight coatings for crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lightweight coatings for crawling

What have you guys found that works well over that pink insulation foam for a sturdy crawling surface that is also light weight? I just built a transportable crawling surface and would like to find something that'll work to reinforce and protect the foam. Here's what I've built

The Losi works great with it, the Axial is ok, but if I'm not carefull, the WK tries to rip it apart

SOfar the main goals have been to make it light enough that I can carry it with little to no hassle by my self (doing good so far), it fit's in the back of my '98 XJ with the f/s spare in place and the back seat folded down (done and done!), and can twist the living hell of what ever tries to drive over it (so far, so good!) Any advise will be appreciated

before I forget, that section right in the middle is made specifically to fit my Losi Crawler all the way to the bottom

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I've heard that spray-on truck bed liner works good, but I have no firtshand experience with it. Seems like a good idea, though. Cool idea for a portable rock range, I like it!

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
RCC Addict

the truck bed liner, brand depending, may also melt some of the styro. check a small spot before you start pouring a gallon on it.

it wont be Very light, but the good concrete motar mix workx really good, just dont get it TOO thick and it wont weight a ton.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Use synthetic stucco - like Dryvit - also known as EFIS - comes in a multitude of colors and textures
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #5

I believe this to be a good option and correct me if i am wrong or if any find fault in this but Take a roll of T-shirt material or cotton from a fabric shop soak it in plaster mix (flour and water) then sculpt it over your base rock structure forming lips or indents as needed as well as adding different textures through out
KDZ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the advice guys, I had been think about using Woodland Scenics plaster cloth to cover it. I'm just hoping that stull will handle what my Axial and especially my Wheely King can dish out (Integy 55t, 13/96 gears, and 9.6v putting power to M3 M2K's with Memory Foams)
Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just remembered, I took a pic of it in the back of my XJ
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

cool idea.
i like the pic in the jeep. i can see why you want to cover it with all the bunnies on the tires.
does it also make that screech noise that foam can make ?
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
MWRCA'er

I used rubber caulking like 5 tubes and painted it on. It held up decently well. Just once it starts to tear then your done as it peels. If you can lay enough coats of it down to where your treading on thick rubber not foam I bet it would work better.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Personally I would cover it in a foam safe fiber glass resin. Once it's set it's as hard as rock and should be light enough that you can still carry it.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote