Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC gear was stolen - what 2.2 crawler to build as a replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry RC gear was stolen - what 2.2 crawler to build as a replacement?

So my house was robbed a little over two weeks ago, and along w/ numerous items taken throughout the house, nearly *all* of my RC gear was stolen - my SW2/TLT-based 2.2 crawler, Emaxx, TC3, Mini-T, radios, batteries, charger, tools, etc. The whole situation thoroughly sucks, but I'm trying to move on and turn lemons into lemonade.

Once the insurance claim gets moving farther along, my plan is to replace/rebuild my SW2/TLT crawler nearly part for part - fully upgraded axles, beadlocks, etc. - but upgrade to a Hustler 2.2 chassis and R2D transmission. I'm wondering if there may be other/better options out there, though. I've been out of the loop on RCC for awhile, so here's where you come in.

If you had the opportunity to start from scratch w/ a new 2.2 crawler build, radio gear, etc, what would you build?

My requirements are:

* Solid axle 2.2 shafty (so likely either TLT or Axial axles).
* Tube chassis, w/ both form and function being important. I'll mention that I've seen the Wreckluse, and still like the Hustler better...
* Brushed motor and ESC (I already have a new Tekin FXR that was waiting to go in my old rig).
* Front dig.

My homeowner's insurance covers full replacement cost for items that are replaced w/ similiar items, and I'm open to spending some cash out of pocket in addition in order to build a better rig.

For reference, my old crawler was:
* Bender Customs SW2 chassis.
* TLT axles w/ MIP CVDs front/rear, Fat Rock stainless axle C's, RC4WD straight axle adapters in rear, aluminum knuckles, etc.
* Integy 55t lathe motor, 'Pede tranny, Novak Super Rooster ESC.
* HS645MG servo w/ Hitec aluminum servo horn.
* Traxxas Big Bore shocks.
* JR XR3 radio, Novak XXL receiver.
* RC4WD aluminum beadlocks, ProLine Moab M2 tires.

Thanks in advance,
- Chris
Csnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

go with the hustler and axial axles with all the upgraded components, punisher shafts,a vf dig, Hitec 7955&225, MSD wheels w/ panthers,HB's or claws, a DX3r and your shock of choice.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to hear that some one had to be a turd and jack your gear. I would call around to all of your local pawn shops to see if any of it was sold there, they'll also keep an eye out for it should the crook bring it to sell.
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcrawls View Post
Sorry to hear that some one had to be a turd and jack your gear. I would call around to all of your local pawn shops to see if any of it was sold there, they'll also keep an eye out for it should the crook bring it to sell.
Yeah, I've visited every pawn shop in the county twice already, unfortunately they haven't been much help. They're required to submit descriptions of items they take in to the police, who then cross reference those items against known stolen items as reported by robbery victims. Only time will tell, but from my own gut feeling as well as from other folks that I've talked to, I don't foresee it leading anywhere - the pawned item descriptions are only as good as what the pawn folks type in, and the police around here are too understaffed to focus much time on "lower priority" cases. :-(

Items w/ serial numbers are probably more likely to turn up, but most of what was stolen did not have a serial number. The pawn shops are supposed to hold items for 30 days, so I'll be making my rounds again next month.

- Chris
Old 11-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That's rough! Ebay and your local craigslist might be a spot where they'd turn up as well. I hope your insurance comes through for you!
sdcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

sucks. But as for what to replace the tlt I would go with axial axles and tranny with a DNA dig and a set of Panther tires on DNA wheels. Load up the axles with aluminum c's knuckles and lockouts. If you want to run a Hustler then just get another set of Traxxas big bores. They work really well on a Hustler. DX3R would be my choice on radio gear. Oh and spring for a good motor and servo. I would get a handwound 35-45t from Holmes Hobbies. and a 7955 hitec servo. Oh and also go ahead and get a Castle BEC too so you don't over work the BEC in the Tekin. You will basicly be building my rig
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The same basic setup just sold on ebay for $225, had a red dodge style struck body and a traxxas radio. I hope it wasn't yours. if it was, let me know, I still have his email reply.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
The same basic setup just sold on ebay for $225, had a red dodge style struck body and a traxxas radio. I hope it wasn't yours. if it was, let me know, I still have his email reply.
Thanks for keeping an eye out. There was a Traxxas TQ3 radio stolen amongst my stuff, but no red body. My SW2 was stolen w/ the blue F-350 body shown below, and the Emaxx had the blue CJ-8 body on it. The Jeep body had been trimmed significantly from the pic below in order to work on the SW2. The tool box and batteries pictured below were also stolen.

Note: the Emaxx had stock wheels/tires on it when it was stolen.

If anyone happens to see this stuff turn up, please PM me.

Thanks,
- Chris

Last edited by Csnyder; 11-25-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #9

Dang, man. I'm really sorry to hear about your house getting robbed. It ticks me off to no end to hear about people who have no ambition in life other than to take what is not theirs, making life that much harder for everyone else. Hopefully you'll find your stuff, and those responsible will get what is coming to them.
MrCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

OK, back on topic (tech talk ).

The AX10 trans plus DNA dig seems like it'd be a smart move if for nothing other than parts availability. Prior to losing my rig, I'd been waiting for months to see a black R2D show up in stock anywhere...

The axles (TLT vs Axial) I'm still hoping to find more comparative data on. I know the TLT axles inside and out, and have a bit of "sentimental" attachment to, given that I bought my TLT kit way back in the first week that they went on sale. In the few comparison threads I've found, folks seem to generally like the Axial's better these days due to parts availability, but I haven't seen much technical data, i.e. weight difference, clearance, or durability (built TLT vs built Axial).

Has anyone out there run built axles of both brands and have any pros/cons to share?

Thanks,
- Chris
Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

keep your eyes on rcu as well
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

as far as durability Stock axials are just as stout as built tlt's. When I say this I am talking about the drive train itself. You would want to get aluminum c's knuckles and straight axle adapters but you could leave the guts stock. Well you might want to get the heavy duty lockers. Dollar for dollar the axles are the best way to go.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
OK, back on topic (tech talk ).

The AX10 trans plus DNA dig seems like it'd be a smart move if for nothing other than parts availability. Prior to losing my rig, I'd been waiting for months to see a black R2D show up in stock anywhere...

The axles (TLT vs Axial) I'm still hoping to find more comparative data on. I know the TLT axles inside and out, and have a bit of "sentimental" attachment to, given that I bought my TLT kit way back in the first week that they went on sale. In the few comparison threads I've found, folks seem to generally like the Axial's better these days due to parts availability, but I haven't seen much technical data, i.e. weight difference, clearance, or durability (built TLT vs built Axial).

Has anyone out there run built axles of both brands and have any pros/cons to share?

Thanks,
- Chris
newbie here...I just have in my office a strech TLT using a Junfac tracer chassis...what I have to do next...looks pretty narrow to me, even if I'm using a WildWilly wheels...still using stock dumpers...can I have this rig as a crawler with addition of some wheels, or I need axeles wideners?...thanks
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

GC-2, or a stick chassis
4 RC4wd 110mm scale shocks
all delrin links
integy aluminum rod ends
Bully axles
2 55t's
Castle sidewinder
DX3R TX and RX
front and rear dig
grappler body
2.2 rovers
2.2 Vanquish DH Pro Comp Revolvers
Hitec HS-654

oh wait, I thaught this was a wish list thread

AX-10's bullet proof
I personaly dont like tubers for comp, but I like the hustler
rc4wd 110mm shocks
HS-5645 servo
tekin FXR
DX3r
delrin links
aluminum rod ends
2.2 Vanquish DH Pro Comp Revolvers
2.2 rovers

Last edited by eron; 11-26-2008 at 08:18 AM.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote