Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Those of you who set up 4 wheel steering..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #1

Default Those of you who set up 4 wheel steering..

Do you have a pic or chart of your wiring?
My rear axle broke, so we are throwing my front into a buddies to set up 4 wheel steering. Taking the axle out is as far as I've gotten. I know absolutely NOTHING about wiring. My limited knowledge tells me to splice each wire from the new front (rear) axle into the same color wires as the original front axle, this would result in all the same functions having power. This seems too easy however, and IF it were to work, the axles would be turning the same way, when in fact they need to turn opposites, how would I wire it correctly?
911rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #2

Ok, here is what I ran into with my 4WS project. You'll need to take the blue suspension arms off of the front of the vehicle that donated the axle, and put it onto the 4WS chassis. Someone with more knowledge of electrical stuff can give more details about the wiring, but DO NOT TRY TO REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE STEERING SERVOS. You WILL burn them out. To get them to turn opposite of the front tires (IE: tighter turning radius), either put the rear axle in backwards (mount so steering servo is now in front of rear axle-this will require the tub to be cut to fit it, or remount the suspension arms farther back and extend the wheelbase out the rear of the Jeep) or find a way to mount a new servo that can be run w/ reverse polarity in the stock location. I don't have pics of my setup yet, as I have to re-do most of it since I fried the steering servos. You can hook up all of the wires the same and get crabwalking, but I wasn't able to find a way to turn the 4WS on and off so that I could turn regularly. Hope this helps, let me know if you got any more questions.
f0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
06 Super National Champ

When you say don't reverse the polarity of the steering servos...do you mean main CB or at the motor?

Seems like if you simply put the two axles in parallel that you'd be able to reverse the leads to the motor and make the rear steer the opposite as the front.

This, of course, is all speculation...I don't have a 1:6 rig yet.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #4

What is the best way to remove the blue suspension arms? They have those pins in them.
911rc is offline   Reply With Quote