Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tubers as comp rigs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tubers as comp rigs?

I have seen a couple people post up in different threads over the last few weeks about tubers not being the best"comp" rigs these post were not referring to scale type tubers just over all any tuber and that chassis rigs are the way to go? i know it is all preference but What are you thoughts on this and why? I run a tuber (FatDog) as my comp rig and have never pulled off a 1st but 90% of the time i place in the top 5-10. i love my tuber as a comp rig and have never seen bad effects from using one. I have thought about a chassis rig just for change but my tuber does so well i dont want to change.
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Voodoo...it's all crawling voodoo

Check this thread my man:

Tuber vs TVP
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not only is mine a tuber but it has a full body as well!

I love it! I pulled off a 2nd (by 2 points!) at one of the comps this past fall and managed 4th in the points series. Every time i run it people can't believe how well it works. plus it looks to cool!

For me it's all about being comfortable with you're rig and knowing what it can and can't do, tuber or not.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For me it's all about being comfortable with you're rig and knowing what it can and can't do, tuber or not.

tru dat!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post

tru dat!
Right on
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Its all about lower center of gravity. Most tubers are heavier than their lexan bodied competitors and it can create an advantage in steep situations, but i have to agree if you know what your rig is capable of you can almost always find a line.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Its all about lower center of gravity. Most tubers are heavier than their lexan bodied competitors and it can create an advantage in steep situations, but i have to agree if you know what your rig is capable of you can almost always find a line.
A well designed tuber will usually be as heavy or even lighter than its tvp counterpart. Really depends on the design of course (for both chassis types), but remember when weighing up a tvp design to include the chassis plates, body, body posts, skid, plus assorted hardware (screws, cross braces, body clips).

As others have said, the key is to practice practice practice with whatever rig you go with.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I think the biggest determining factor is terrain. I have owned a couple tubers and seen quite a few compete in our club. They have never placed well. Whether it be sprung or droop suspension, they seem to get hung on ledges and tight spots snag the belly. I don't think a 2.2 tuber has ever won Nationals either. If you look around the RCC forum, all the sponsored 2.2 drivers are driving TVP's. Maybe it's a money thing since TVP's are easier to mass produce than tubers. Whatever the case, until a comp tuber wins consistently, they will always be second rate to TVP's.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Unfortunately I have to agree, I made a custom comp tuber and it was right around the same weight as a TVP comp rig. My CG was a bit high and I seemed to not be able to make it over some things TVPs went up and over. So I designed and built my own TVP chassis and have never looked back.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Well said! Couldn't agree more... tubers tend to be top heavy compared to their counterparts (TVP), however, if you are able to bring the weight down... you may have a little more luck.

I was actually tinkering with the idea but... if you have a top heavy tuber, you may want to stick to the MOA axles, some heavy lockers, wheel weights/alum. wheels, full droop setup etc... just try to bring the wieght as far down as possible. This should in turn provide much more stability...

Also, I believe someone mentioned tubers getting hung up frequently... with the newer tubers which utilize the same derlin skids (DMG), this should not be an issue... also, if you either umht or teflon the bottom tube portion, you should have no issue...

Hope this helps!
mcho78 is offline   Reply With Quote