Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Home-built CNC machine using a rotory-tool...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Home-built CNC machine using a rotory-tool...

I have seen quite a few home-built CNC machines that are very nice, with 4-axis (forward/back, left/right, up/down, 360º rotation) tables, and rotory-tools as the mill. I have been thinking about building one of these, but I wanted to ask a question about it first...

Do you think a good Dremel has the power to mill delrin, with the right end-mill? Basically, I would like to mill parts out of delrin stock (1/8" sheet, 1/4" sheet, etc.), and just don't know if it would hold up or not. I know it probably won't mill aluminum, but if it will mill delrin, it will be well worth it in my opinion.
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

your feed rate will really suck. You could build it around something better like this tool http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...le+Power+Tools

Otherwise, talk with kamikaze, he has a basement cnc router and cuts a lot of delrin.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Not sure if the dremel will have enough torque to cut directly from the side like that unless you only took off a small amount of depth at a time. I did the same thing using an end mill chucked up into my drill press and it worked well...but the torque of the motor on the drill press is substantial in relation to a dremel.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yea, I have a pretty good drill-press and a 3-axis vise-clamp, but there is no way to make it computer-controlled. I am going to buy a bunch of end-mills for it so I can manually mill parts with it. I have been thinking about buying a really nice vertical milling machine with a built-in lathe, which can be converted to CNC, but I just don't know yet. I [i]am[/b] buying a nice metal lathe pretty soon, because myself and my Dad will be using it, and he has been after me for a while now trying to get me to buy a good lathe for some of his projects, so I finally gave in...after-all, he did give me the house when he built his new one (my Grandparents [my Grandfather physically built it!] built this house in 1952, and I love it!). Anyway, my Grandfather also built a nice shop in the back-yard, and equipped it with a lot of tools (8" table-saw, 10" chop-saw, 10" miter-saw, vertical band-saw, scroll-saw, router & router-table, large drill-press, sanding station with oscillating drum sander, 9" disc sander, and 6" vertical/tilting belt sander, large dual-wheel grinder (course/rough), small dual-wheel grinder (medium/fine), large dual-wheel grinder (steel wire-wheel/brass wire-wheel), large rolling work bench with large and small vises, large stationary work bench with cubby-holes, peg-boards, and tons of drawers, tons of cabinets, lots of storage, and all the power & hand tools you could ever want/need)! It is a mess right now, because it became a storage area when I was remodeling the house, and it needs to be cleaned out...desperately! But, there is enough room to add a few more tools, like the lathe, vertical milling machine, and/or custom-built CNC machine.

I just have so many ideas and wants that I don't know where to start, or what to do/get first, and it sucks. My eventual plan is to buy a nice CNC machine, the real deal CNC machine, so I can be unlimited as to what I can make. I have been looking at some in the $9,000 to $12,000 range, and they seem to be perfect for what I want to make, but if I ever out-grow it, I can always step-up to a better machine. I would also like to have a laser-cutter and a water-jet machine, but that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the road, after I get a nice CNC machine.

And...kind-of on a side not, I want to get a vinyl cutter/plotter, so I can make vinyl decals (like windshield letters)...and also custom cut window tint for virtually any vehicle made! I found a nice one that does all of the above, plus can cut & assemble single or multi-color decals/graphics onto transfer paper, and is only $500 and change!

See what I mean about all the ideas and wants that I have? Heh...
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've got a Smithy 1220XL, and love it's capabilities. Easiest out of the box machine I have ever had and American made. One of these days I'll have to set back up and machine some stainless wheels. No more need for wheel weights. lol
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Check this site out. Alot of good info here.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums

But you have to sign up to see any thing.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote