Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Clod or bruiser crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Clod or bruiser crawler

OK, i am interested in getting a crawler, and i would really like a scale crawler. much like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT However, I really dont have the funds to buy everything i need. BUT, i could come up with the money in someway. I was wondering if i should just get a crawler, or try the bruiser route? I have already built a rock crawl place in my backyard, but all the rocks are about the size ao a grapefruit, some alittle bigger, most a little smaller. So a clod would just roll right over them with no problem. So wich would be more challenging, more fun to drive, and overall just better for me needs?
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Re: Clod or bruiser crawler

IMHO the bruiser is more of a collector than anything. Don't get me wrong,they could be used and probly do a decent job. They are just hard to find and if you find a decent one you'll PAY. That tuber rig you posted,it looks pretty nice,I think I've seen it for sale before. It's kinda steep I think.

For the price of a decent Brusier,you could build a wicked Twin Force,TXT1,E-maxx,Juggy,X-factor,or a Clod. Also parts for these rigs usally aren't hard to find and through the roof.

I'm not dogging the brusier AT ALL,I'd LOVE to have one,just can't afford it I just feel if a guy's wanting a basher to beat up in his backyard,it's more economical to use a rig thats still in production. Usally that'll mean cheaper prices on parts.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You can make a Bruiser a capable crawler but they are fairly fragiale. Unless you have lots of money to spend then I wouldn't go the Bruiser route. You can make a Clod a capable crawler for about $300.00 or less. And then you could always sell it if you got tired of it and make a Bruiser. It all really depends on funds. How much do you have to spend?
jugg_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

well, this year, all the money i make has to go into the bank for a real car, but next year, during the summer, i make on average around 200 a week. so funds wont be much of a problem.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

IMHO, funds has nothing to do with it. go the route of a clod. the bruiser is nice and scale but thats where it stops. the axles are weak, the tranny is weak. plus in less you do a rear hub conversion on the front axle it dosent engage properly enough for rock crawling use. there are stronger axles on the market for the bruiser but i still wouldnt go with one. now dont get me wrong, i love the bruisers, i have one, its a shelf queen.( well going to be any way, when im done) plus the bruiser and mountaineer motor is a 750 size motor, nise and big but no after market motor can is just like it; which means if you need a new motor you need to do some serious chop chop on your rig. or you could opt out to use a 20 year old replacment. the HiLux and i belive the blazing blazer ( which are very similar to the bruiser and mountaineer) use a 550 size can but im not sure how they mount and weather or not you can use anything but the stock motor w/o mods. plus there hubs are different and not as easy to come by. and one more thing, they all use 2.2 size tires, there are maxx wheel adaptors, but thats ALOT of stress for those axles.

Quote:
OK, i am interested in getting a crawler, and i would really like a scale crawler
if your looking for scale why even consider a clod, i mean if you like them hey, good for you, but there not really scale looking at all. not with the motors mounted on the axles. if you want a semi-scale looking crawler id go with a TXT/Jugg. there shaft driven and there axles look like 2.5/5.5 ton rockwells.

oh BTW find bigger rocks
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

What about this....I use the Bruiser chassis, but TLT axles, pede tranny, and 4-link it, and try to make it look likt this...http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/projec...y12/dunes1.jpg would that be possible, braze or solder or weld a tube design onto the frame of a bruiser?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

well i guess that would work okay but... thats kind of a waste of a good vintage chasis. remember these chasis arnt made any more, and never will be brought back into production. so to me what your talking about is like killing an indangered species. sorry but thats the way i feal. the chasis is pretty stiff with all the cross members in it, stock form. personally i dont see the need to tube it. but i guess im just bias. :? the 4 link and pede tranny can be done with out messing up the frame rails. you could even build a bolt on roll cage which is what i would do. also i belive that TXT axles would look better under there, im pretty sure the TLT axles would be to small

if you were gonna go through all the trouble of building a tube cage why not just build a custom tuber. it could still look scale. you could even use leaf springs if you wanted.
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote