Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ackerman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Holdin my 40oz.

Default Ackerman?

I've searched for the answer an could not find it. I'm trying to figure out what zero-ackerman steering, like the new losi rig claims to have, actually means. What is ackerman and how does having zero of it help? Just wanted to know.....
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

http://www.smithees-racetech.com.au/ackerman.html

Losi went without Ackerman.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Ackerman...where the inside tire turns more than the outside tire, and both tires follow the proper radius during a turn. This helps tremendously at low speed, like crawling.

The Axial Scorpion has reverse ackerman, the inside tire turns less than the outside tire. So the tires are fighting each other when turning and the turning radius isn't what it could be..... It's my biggest gripe with the Axial. I have a simple idea on how to somewhat fix it, but I haven't tried it yet.

The Losi steering looks good to me. I'm not sure it has zero (can't see exactly from the pics), but it's much better than the axial.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

does the bta steering solve this ackerman problem on the ax10
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCam View Post
does the bta steering solve this ackerman problem on the ax10
Yes.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Ackerman...where the inside tire turns more than the outside tire, and both tires follow the proper radius during a turn. This helps tremendously at low speed, like crawling.

The Axial Scorpion has reverse ackerman, the inside tire turns less than the outside tire. So the tires are fighting each other when turning and the turning radius isn't what it could be..... It's my biggest gripe with the Axial. I have a simple idea on how to somewhat fix it, but I haven't tried it yet.

The Losi steering looks good to me. I'm not sure it has zero (can't see exactly from the pics), but it's much better than the axial.

You know what ackerman is but you dont know what it does for crawlers.
"Proper" ackerman angle has no benefit to a crawler because of the locked dif. In order for ackerman to work properly both front tires have to turn at different rates. Having the outside tire not turn as sharp as the inside tire actually decreases turning radius. The only benefit to a correct ackerman angle, is at high speeds not low.

The Losi crawler as well as the new venom crawler both have a zero ackerman so that they can turn as sharp as possible.
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

http://www.rctek.com/technical/handl...principle.html

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok maybe it is just me but doesn't the fact that we run solid axles & most of us run locked front axles combined with the low speeds mostly nullify any advantages that perfect ackerman would add?
tubed-n-lubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Yes which is why Losi has chosen to go with the no ackerman, just turn both wheels as far as possible method.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheeler View Post
You know what ackerman is but you dont know what it does for crawlers.
"Proper" ackerman angle has no benefit to a crawler because of the locked dif. In order for ackerman to work properly both front tires have to turn at different rates. Having the outside tire not turn as sharp as the inside tire actually decreases turning radius. The only benefit to a correct ackerman angle, is at high speeds not low.

The Losi crawler as well as the new venom crawler both have a zero ackerman so that they can turn as sharp as possible.
I strongly disagree. My axial turned considerably sharper after I did the bta. I am not saying "Proper" ackerman is better than zero ackerman but it is definitely better than the reverse ackerman that comes stock on so many crawler axles.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Are you sure the BTA kit didnt allow the knuckles to turn farther than the stock steering setup thus making it turn better?
onefstsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefstsnake View Post
Are you sure the BTA kit didnt allow the knuckles to turn farther than the stock steering setup thus making it turn better?
Absolutely sure.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Arm length and angle will dictate what kind, or amount of Ackerman you get.

Most of the crawler knuckle arms have a falling rate, so they fall off as they go through their range of motion. A shorter arm length might not fall off as fast. Don't you guys cut your AX10 arms when you go to a behind the axle set up?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Yeah and check out the arm length and angle on the Losi. Interesting. Definitely will need a STRONG servo.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Or a shorter servo arm
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheeler View Post
Or a shorter servo arm
Agreed, with the appropriate length servo arm you wouldn't need anymore torque.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

My thought with the positive vs. negative ackerman. On a crawler, in many circumstances the outside tyre is the one with the most weight on it (like turning uphill), and thus probably the most effect on steering. This why I would think zero to negative ackerman would be an advantage.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
MODERATOR™

You also don't need a long servo horn just because the knuckle arm is so short. Not much distance to travel. But we all know a shorter arm is harder to push.

And I ain't worried, I got the Airtronics 423 oz'r.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #19

Strong servo, probably, it will depend on the scrub radius.

As far as a locked diff negating the effect of ackerman, that cannot be further from the truth. Turn your steering, drive forward slowly. Notice which tire is following the turn radius. More than likely it is the inside tire. Now proper ackerman will have the inside tire turning at a sharper angle, now wouldn't you guys want a tighter turn radius?
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
As far as a locked diff negating the effect of ackerman, that cannot be further from the truth. Turn your steering, drive forward slowly. Notice which tire is following the turn radius. More than likely it is the inside tire. Now proper ackerman will have the inside tire turning at a sharper angle, now wouldn't you guys want a tighter turn radius?

I think the point a few guys are trying to get across is "It is best to have BOTH front tires turn as sharp as possible (zero ackerman angle), not the outer one turning less than the inside one (proper ackerman angle)."

Wouldn't it just make sense to have both front tires turn all the way to the stops. So it doesn't matter which one is catching traction.

In nigels_world's case with his BTA set-up, it probably improved his turning by having his inside tire turn sharper than his outside tire. But I bet his turning on the rocks would be even better with zero ackerman angle.

To sum it up,
Bad: Reverse ackerman angle
Better: Proper ackerman angle
Best: Zero ackerman angle

Just my $0.02

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote