Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DNA Dig - Binding up, wont Fully Engage, please help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default DNA Dig - Binding up, wont Fully Engage, please help.

I have been having quite a bit of trouble with getting a DNA Dig setup.
It will lock the rear driveshaft fairly well, I have that dialed in pretty good, and it works 98% of the time.
But I cant seem to get it to reengage the driveshaft properly.
It seems that just a tiny bit of outward pressure on the driveshaft will pop it out of engagement.
It just sits there kinda grinding that coupling, jerking the rear axle around.
I have tried moving the linkage around a good bit, trying different lengths, etc.
And I have adjusted the end points on the servo, but even if I crank up the end point, making the servo pull really hard, it cant keep it in.
The DNA seems to get bound up just a mm or two before fully engaging.
I can physically push it in with my finger and it will engage, but soon as I crawl a bit it will disengage.

What else can I try? This is getting frustrating!
Here are pics of the setup. Sorry I dont have any closeups yet.

~John
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Just a quick glance at thie rig and I see that you have too much Brass-rod sticking out of the collar that hold the linkage. Go to the VF web sight for instructions, very important to follow them. Plus do you have End-point adjustments? Try pacing the collar with only 1/8th inch protruding and see what happens.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Ultimate RC Decals

that's what i see. looks as though you need some collar adjustments.
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

your problem is with power. The esc doesn't supply enogh power to the 2 servo's on its own. You need to buy and install a castle bec. That should solve the problem for you.

Last edited by bigflex; 12-26-2008 at 07:52 AM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

Thanks for the tips guys, I have not tried placing the set collar out that far on the shaft, I will try that next.
I looked over the instructions on their site, and it seems I have the rest correct.
I dont THINK its a power issue, based on the fact that I can set the end points of the servo over so much that its torquing the plastic bits quite a bit.
So it seems it has the power needed, its just that the Dig is binding up at that last mm or two before it engages.

Actually, to be more clear, it will typically engage, "most" the time, but will pop out as soon as you apply throttle.

~John
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just to chime in, I always run the BECs ; esp with dual servo setups!!.. for 19.99 you really cant go wrong.. It will help.
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I have not tried placing the set collar out that far on the shaft, I will try that next.
I looked over the instructions on their site, and it seems I have the rest correct.
I dont THINK its a power issue, based on the fact that I can set the end points of the servo over so much that its torquing the plastic bits quite a bit.
So it seems it has the power needed, its just that the Dig is binding up at that last mm or two before it engages.

Actually, to be more clear, it will typically engage, "most" the time, but will pop out as soon as you apply throttle.

~John
I understand what your saying but when all you are working is the dig it will work just fine. Its when the truck is under power and steering that the dig servo will lose power and not hold its endpoint. Just ask robert97dodge. He was having the same issues and I convenced him to get a BEC and once installed the problems went away.

Last edited by bigflex; 12-26-2008 at 12:11 PM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Thanks guys.
I will do some more adjusting and tinkering tonight,
if that doesnt solve the issue, I will get a BEC and try that out, like you said, cant hurt, and may help in other ways also.

~John
Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

mine's first gen silver case. had it since they came out, and it works flawlessly. Set the collar so just a tiny bit of the brass pin is sticking out.
Also the lock disengagement will be smoother if it's not fully back into lock. Only need a bit of engagement if it's set up right. Also, you should be able to "toggle" it 4WD to free at full throttle back and forth. really helps get over high center situations. Good luck!
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

After testing and adjusting for about another hour, I THINK I have it !!!
Moving the set collar way out to the end of the Digs shaft helped alot.
Its still hard to get the servo to quite down when its engaged though. (in drive)
It seems it has to work fairly hard to hold it, but I finally got it, and only notice it still making noise every so often.

Thanks guys,
~John
Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

John: One other thing I found ....set the neutral of the dig servo as 4wd so it is only taxed when in dig-mode. And make sure to set the end points.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote