Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Beadlock 101 needed....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Beadlock 101 needed....

So I bought a MRC and also a OFNA CRT .5. The CRT has BL and chassis extender to make A 1/10. I have seen them on truggies and got to thinking I would love some Beadlocks for the CRT .5 too so I dont have to glue wheels anymore. The beadlocks are a little new for us outside of crawling and info is limited. Some companies are starting to market 1/8 scale mt wheels with 17mm. Then I realized that the CRT .5 has the same 12mm hex as my losi mini crawler. These are a bit small but now I am on the hunt for a new 2.2 set of cheap and plastic. Only reason being the more weight the more heat.

Now the problems.

1. I need to know if beadlocks can handle 3s lipo. Lots of torque. Remember I was thinking composite, delrin, plastic or something. Now that I am thinking about it, plastic will break easy.
2. If the hole for the threaded wheel shaft is a little off will the 12mm hex be sufficent in holding the wheel str8 without stripping.
3. Am I wasting my time with this idea. Man I just love beadlocks and I want a set for the crawler, my crt .5 and my two BL losi 8ights projects.
No more glueing wheels for me.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Someone recommended this company and I thought they looked pretty promising. http://eritexinc.com/zencart/index.p...&products_id=2

I am also reading alot that beadlocks are not all created equal and some are way easier to mount and quality varies. So I want to make suer I choose the right ones.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Since you will be going very fast, you need a set of rims that are made for speed and not crawling (light and true). I know Visionary Fab has made beadlocks for go fast vehicles, you may want to hit them up. Otherwise Eritex can make something custom for you as well.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Eritex wheels are about as good as they get. The Delrin is plenty strong and you're not likely to strip a screw like you will with plastic wheels. Probably heavier than you'd like, but they're made well and will definitely hold a bead.

AE used to use beadlocks on the OG RC10T, but they don't have a hex on the back, just a pin slot. 3-piece design with an inner ring similar to Sand Scorcher wheels but in 2.2 Don't know if they'll fit your Ofna or not.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used Axial beadlocks on the back of my mm/7700kva powered t4 and they were fine, but your crt.5 will be much heavier. You could probably pick up a set cheap here in the classifieds just to try
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote