Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: ultimate crawler building station

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ultimate crawler building station

I am in the process of building a custom crawler and I need a bench to do so. My wife is getting sick of having no kitchen table. I would like to hear some imput and possibly some pictures of everyones work station. Likes and dislikes, things you would change.

Thanks for any info
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Search button reveals........................stand by its coming..............http://206.180.232.134/forum/showthr...light=workshop........................
towtruckmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by towtruckmikey View Post
Search button reveals........................stand by its coming..............http://206.180.232.134/forum/showthr...light=workshop........................
Get the sarcasm

I am actualy interested in is if people like the workstation that they have, what part of it they like the most, if there are changes they would make and what might tose be( i.e. more storage, tool holders, bench top material ).

Maybe the question to ask is what would be their "IDEAL" work station.

I saw alot of shelf units with trucks stored on them, would an enclosed shelf system be better.

Those kinds of things would be helpfull
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Something like this helps a lot with all the screws, parts, and small tools...

Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Something like this helps a lot with all the screws, parts, and small tools...

That works great if you only work on your rig at home. I found that I kept putting stuff in tackle boxes for when I went to the trail or the crawling spot. I have since gone to keeping all my stuff in the clear takle boxes. This way it is easy for me to load them all up and transport them for the days that I am not at home and will need to work on them.
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well a nice 12' x14' room would be a great place for me to work on all my stuff,not the 6'x7' that I'am in now,I would have the plastic storage bin for my parts for home use,a set to go on the road with,I would have a whole wall to store my trucks on,that would only be 2 Crawler,5 Puller,a Place to Build.Jim
6x6bigdollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by towtruckmikey View Post

wow! newbie got owned by a newbie!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here's my bench I finished up a few months ago. I wanted some storage up top for batteries, dremel, soldering iron, charger, stuff like that. The only thing I would change is make the area from the top of the bench to the bottom of the shelf a bit higher so I can fit some more tools on the pegboard. Total cost was around 50 bucks or so, never kept a running total because I already had some of the stuff laying around like the undercabinet lights and screws etc. It's made from 3/4" MDF and 2x4s. I also uploaded the plans to google sketchup if anybody is interested. The measurments aren't exact, but it's good enough to get an idea from.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...7b8cbf8f84e894

gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

This is mt freshly re set-up shop. My roomate and I share the room she gets 1/2 I get 1/2. My bench is about 52 inches wide. I set up the bench around what I wanted in it or under it.under I have room for a 20lb airtank and mini compressor for airbrushing or what ever. The top part i built around thwe tool box ( bout 30-40$ at home depot) and worth evry penny. For storage of nuts bolts misc parts I use plano stow away # 2-3650. They are a nice size and have good latches. I have one each for metric and standard screws nuts washers. 1 for electrical. I also try to have one for each rig, spare parts nuts bolts ect... I will also use 1 for an on the road kit.... For shelves I used a 4 shelf set up from walmart 23$ I bought to of them and shortened the upright posts to 10 inches so I could stack more shelves higher.. I should have made 1 or 2 shelves taller for the atenna o n the tx's, tho all do fit with a lil work tucking under shelf above... Ok thats my lil corner of the world... Would I change things heck ya if I had the $$$$ a dual room would be awsome a room for a mill and paintbooth drill press and sanders ect.... Ans another room for the cleaner assembly work....
Not sure of actual cost but my current set up can be made with about 2 sheets of 3/4 ply. For as bench top I use 1/4 in poly ethylene sheet. Very tuff no slivers , no glue or epoxie will stick to it....
Another good wood to use is plyron. It is plywould with 2 outer layers of presses paper/fiber. Very strong and smooth and can be waxed. A bit spendy at about 60$ a sheet...
Attached Images

Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
I just searched newbie getting owned by a newbie and now I'm here.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlemon View Post
Here's my bench I finished up a few months ago. I wanted some storage up top for batteries, dremel, soldering iron, charger, stuff like that. The only thing I would change is make the area from the top of the bench to the bottom of the shelf a bit higher so I can fit some more tools on the pegboard. Total cost was around 50 bucks or so, never kept a running total because I already had some of the stuff laying around like the undercabinet lights and screws etc. It's made from 3/4" MDF and 2x4s. I also uploaded the plans to google sketchup if anybody is interested. The measurments aren't exact, but it's good enough to get an idea from.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...7b8cbf8f84e894

leave it to you to have the UBER workbench...
I'm working off the top of a damn chest of drawers right now BUT it's better than trying to build on a log in the woods somwhere...(obscure referce about being glad not to be homeless)

sorry to jack your thread...
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i have a 3/4" x 2' x 4' plywood table set up in the corner of my bedroom with a vice on the corner....

i moved stuff around when i got rid of the box i was using to hold my parts and have a toolbox now....

in the first pictures you can see the cardboard box to the right and my wooden tool box on the left, i switch the wooden box to the right and my rig box is now on the right....i have a power strip on the far right side of the table top so i'm not crawling under the table everytime i need some power..............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i have 3 work shops. i have an actual workshop that has my bench grinder, bench cutter, and air compresser for airbrush and blow gun, my bedroom for minor matnence in the summer and the livingroom floor for the winter because its the only heated place i can work. i will be getting some more tools soon and thats about all i need for a workshop. i would love to have my actual workshop heated but its not my choice.
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

here is my spot...love it all! the only thing I would like to do is put a stainless steel top on my workbench...

jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote