Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Berg vs all others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Berg vs all others

OK, I am in a spot where I dumped enough money into my axial. I have a tube chassis for it, as well as all sorts of other do-dads. After wheeling this weekend with JeepinDoug and dpdsurf and their Berg's I realized that there is no other option. This got me to thinking. With all these new wheelers out there, will any of them compare to a Berg? I like the idea of 2 motors down low for weight, and the strength of the Berg axles. Will the Venom with the dig setup, the Losi which is still untested, or the kyosho with the super stout Kyosho name always run second fiddle to the Berg?

Then you take into account cost of the Berg vs other rides. The berg is pricey to begin with, but I think in the long run, it is the cheaper alternative to the shafty's. I know this has probably been beaten to death, or has it. Who would prefer a berg to all other shafty's? Why would you go with a shaft driven tuck vs the Berg?

Dima
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Yes this has been discussed quite a bit.
By the time you deck out your axial axles, $199 for a pair of berg axles is not that expensive...
I also think worm gears will have a hard time keeping up with bergs because they still have a transmission which raises their cog, and for me i like electirical dig vs mechanical. Time will tell, i could be proven wrong.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Bully's!!! Tough as nails, great support and you dont have to run special backspacing on your wheels.

MMMMM Cookies....
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think my statement works, if not (anyone?) feel free to correct me.

The MOA's have an advantage of the weight placement and higher possible center clearance without raising the center of gravity much or interfering with driveshaft angles. Also its hard to beat electronic dig on both axles.

The new Kyosho and Losi do fix almost all the old issues of a traditional shafty. Torque twist is near 0. Higher axle clearance due to smaller worm gears. Drag built into the worm gearing. Losi even has a dual mechanical front and rear dig. Smaller transmissions as all the gearing is done at the axles.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

all i can say is get the berg and dont look back
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thumbs down

I think it all depends on what you want.Sure berg axles are nice and there is a few things they will do that a shaft truck will not ,But on the other hand in my opinion a shaft truck will do more things better than a berg .I do not think that the berg axles are stronger than Axials.The bergs are strong while they are new and fresh but after that That is just my opinion
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #7

Apples and oranges It just depends if your crawling in Florida or Washington???
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Berg VS .....what else is there?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've become a big fan of motor on axle designs for the reasons already stated. It's a really good combination of motors on the axles, nice and low cg, being able to electrically control the throttle for front and rear motors separately, and finally, having plenty of center chassis ground clearance, and room for battery packs or electronics. It's a hard combination to beat. Tamiya had a good design when they started it all with the Clodbuster. MOA set-ups have pretty much become the pinnacle or crawling, but these new worm drive systems are going to give MOA set-ups some good competition!
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

MOA's should be in their own class...
I love the idea of the good ol shafty, but the MOA rigs just dominate...
Me I will probably stick to the shaftys or just drift of into the world of scalers...
Possibly 1.9 comp till they come out with a 1.9 MOA setup...
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I think it all depends on what you want.Sure berg axles are nice and there is a few things they will do that a shaft truck will not ,But on the other hand in my opinion a shaft truck will do more things better than a berg .I do not think that the berg axles are stronger than Axials.The bergs are strong while they are new and fresh but after that That is just my opinion
got to agree with gatekeeper....shafty
cruz*hotboxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The reason MOA axles do so well is the guys who run them are already at the top of their game with shafties. If you look at most local clubs the guys who were already winning a majority of the time were the first to get bergs. So the bergs were winning still. I have seen shaftys pull some crazy lines that an MOA wont because of clod stall. I have seen MOA rigs pull near verticle steps on a sidehill that a shafty COG couldnt handle.

Its all personal preference. Run what you like.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
I agree.
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I've put alot of work and money on a shafty...and decided to get a berg and by far I like the way it crawls...as long as they compete side by side the berg will out crawl a shafty...until they separate the two and make it, its own class is to be unknown...with more selection of MOA's out there a class of its own is soon...so I'm keeping both rigs, ready...
slip408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The bergs are strong while they are new and fresh but after that That is just my opinion
hmmm... the only thing Ive broke in my bergs are bearings so far. i haven't been able to kill these things yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post

nope.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
hmmm... the only thing Ive broke in my bergs are bearings so far. i haven't been able to kill these things yet.

nope.
Well I have blown up a handfull of bearings and 4 or 5 sets of gears.I have never broke the internals on my Axial axles,It all depends on how you drive the Axial can handle the abuse

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 01-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Well I have blown up a handfull of bearings and 4 or 5 sets of gears.I have never broke the internals on my Axial axles

I have found if you put in high quality bearings you will never have anymore gear problems.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

What about MOA worm drive? Ive seen it somewhere on here.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
Keep it real

Either type of setup has it's advantages and disadvantages, and I keep hearing this myth that buying a Berg will make you an instant top competitor....yet it's not true. Learn to setup a truck correctly to complement your driving style, and then practice until you drive the tires off.....then get new tires and repeat as many times as you can.

There are shafty's winning comps around the country all the time, I've actually won the last 2 comps with my Axial shafty, after switching back from the Berg that I ran at Nats. I did like how my Berg worked, I had it dialed to my driving style, but my Axial is dialed as well.

I can't wait to start running my Losi.....oh my
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

MMMM Berg!
doubledub is offline   Reply With Quote