Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Radio frequency question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Radio frequency question

I would post this in the Radios, Servos, and Batteries section but am hoping for a quick answer. Can some one explain why the FCC says I can’t use 72 MHz for a ground radio? I am looking for a new radio and have found some that I like but they are 72 MHz. I have searched google and all I got is that it is illegal to use a 72 MHz radio for a ground vehicle. www.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf+FCC+72+MHz&hl=en]Here is the “THE FCC’s ON-LINE TABLE OF FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS” <Click[/url]
NeoSlayer888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Radio frequency question

I think that applys just if you are in competion in an event or something. Or, ur using ur car at an airplane field, etc. I am pretty sure there isn't a difference other than the frequency. They want airplanes on one frequency and cars on another. So, it should matter if ur not in an event.
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

okay your next door nighbor is flying his RC plane all over the nighborhood. hes using a 75 mhz raido. goodie for him. you decide to get out your crawler for a little low speed fun on the rock pile. yeaa. there goes little hanna down the sidewalk on her way to grandma's house. you nod and smile to her and go on about your business. you set your crawler down at the starting gate flip on the transmiter and the the reciver. give her a little go juice and you off. all of a sudden you hear hanna scream. your nighbors plane has swopped out of the sky and crashed into her. teh propeller is cought in her hair tearing it out, she puts her arms up and 'lop' there goes three fingers. grandma comes running out of the house and has a heart attack and dies. hanna is in serious need of medical attention. and your nighbor is white as a gost. hes thinks hes going to jail because hes just malled a helpless chiled and pretty much killed her grandma. he walkes inside grabs teh ole .45 and paints teh walls with his brains. but...

after a short investigation its found out that you were also using a 75 mhz raido. when you started crawling your siginal mixed with you nighbors and turned is plane into a missle of carnage.

get the picture. 8O

27 for groud and 75 for air. or something like that. also never use 40mhz, europe only. fcc catches you using that say good buy to the raido.
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I dont think this is right. 75 mhz can be used for ground or air it's the channels that differ. I got 2 hitec radios both pistol style and they are both 75mhz. I know that they are not for air use. and everyone that I use to race with were all on 75mhz but the channels were higher than those used by planes
Distressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

75= ground

72= air
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ok, Nomercy painted the picture a little violently, but that's EXACTLY why the rules are the way they are. Please don't think it couldn't happen to you. Becuase you're right, it might not. But it might happen to someone near you.
There are exceptions. 50Mhz can run both. However, to legally operate a 50mhz rig, you have to have a Technician class or higher Amatuer Radio license. If you're smart enough to get one, you're proably smart enough to know when to use it.

KE6WCJ

EDIT: Apparently, 27mhz is also a legal aircraft band as well as land. From what I've found, it's very mnuch discouraged to operate aircraft on 27mhz though.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

put in a overly dramatic nut shell yeah thats right.

FCC limits alot of crap (not in a bad way). FM, AM, XM, your microwave, computer, TV, cell phones. Just about everything that generates a radio wave. But its all in the saftey of the people.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the only 72 mhz i know of is AM and i dont think that would be very good for flying. But there could be a FM 72mhz
Old 09-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

thought you might like that. thought id try to be vivid so you understood. i knew my 27 mhz and 75 mhz wernt right but that it was something like that. my XS3 is 75 mhz FM. you can get teh XS3's in 40 mhz to but only in europe
Nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distressed
the only 72 mhz i know of is AM and i dont think that would be very good for flying. But there could be a FM 72mhz
99% of 72mhz radios are FM.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

ok i could be wrong but the losi xxxnt nitro truck came with a racio and i thought it was 72 am. I will look this up
Old 09-25-2004, 08:38 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

heck i cant even find any 72 mhz radios. I guess I am confused about AM being on 75mhz along with FM. sorry my BAD
Old 09-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

also 72mhz and 75 mhz can be used for air tower sells a radio that is both

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXVX14**&P=0
Old 09-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

It’s like this:

27MHz- AM; air or ground
50MHz- Ham band air or ground; but a license is required
72MHz- FM of PCM; air only
75MHz- AM, FM, or PCM; ground only
Old 09-25-2004, 10:08 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
also 72mhz and 75 mhz can be used for air tower sells a radio that is both

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXVX14**&P=0
No they don't. If you'd have read the page, right below the picture, in the frequency availability section, it says "Surface". ***ALL*** 75Mhz radios are for use with land based craft ONLY!!!! Just because it has sticks doesn't mean it flys.

Quote:
ok i could be wrong but the losi xxxnt nitro truck came with a racio and i thought it was 72 am. I will look this up
Ok, it may have come with an AM radio, but it most definetly was not 72Mhz.

Try again?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

that says channel 11-60 is air and 61-90 ground. so like i said above it is the channels that differ not the frequncy, right?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:48 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Click for radio freq chart
Old 09-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

cool i was lookin for a chart like that
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I'm new but I gotta ask. What's the rules on 2.4 Ghz air radio on ground. Specifically using a Futaba 7ch? If legal is it even possible? If possible any one point me in the right direction on how to do it?
Thank you
Kevin
husky385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I'd say this only a problem if you happen to live near a park or air field where the plane or heli guys are known to fly. The morbid picture that Nomercy painted, could happen just as easily at an air field or a park, caused by other aircraft modelers flying on a frequency that was, or was not, already 'checked' out. Or it could also happen at a track, with the surface channels. You just have to use your head a little. Heck, the same thing could happen with an interferance siutation, involving no other RC modelers. It could be caused by something as simple as a viberation, or other radio electronic failure. Now days many PCM and spread spectrum radios go into a lock-out if they get conflicting signals. A lock-out condition is really not much different, except that many times the modeler can regain control if his fail-safe is set correctly.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote