Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: JB weld tuber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default JB weld tuber?

Ok, so here is what im thinking. I have no idea how to braise, dont even know how to spell it, but i want a tuber look of my own. Its not going to be a chassis, its just gonna bolt on to my existing chassis (stock axial)
Has any one tried using J.B. weld with brake tubing. Because with my lack of craftsmanship, thats all i can handle. So basicaly what i'm asking is will J.B.weld bond brake tubing?
littleWOJIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Yes it will but it won't last. JB weld will loose hold of the tubing then it will start to break up and fall apart pretty quick. I used JB weld just to Mock up a tube chassis design once but that was a pain. then we ran it for fun and it lasted about 4 good tumbles off a rock before it started coming apart.

If you still want to try scuff up the ends of the tubing so it gets a better grip maybe even tie wire the pieces and jb weld so it's a stronger joint.

But youd be surprised how easy it is to braze, you'll mess up in the begining then you be a brazing god. Plus it only runs about $40-50 dollars for adecent little brazing kit with rods and all.
rockbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Come by and Ill teach you to braze... its really easy! The main thing is to get the tube clean and then hot enough. I use Map with a turbo torch no oxygen tank. Just get the tube to glow and then apply the solder (of course you need to have fluxed it first)
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i told him to go flux himself, he didnt think it was as funny as i did
wojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

hey littlewojin , cut and tape all your tube together and take it to a of your local muffler shops tell them what your doing and most fo the time they will do it for free. i've done four or five for some people give it a try.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote