Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Do all shocks leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Do all shocks leak?

I need some input. I've tried various brands of shocks and it seems like they all have leaked so far. I've run some Ofna aluminum bodied shocks and they leaked at the cap. I tried some Integy piggy backs and they leaked at the rod end of the shock. I did a search and it seems like I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm seriously looking at getting some Traxxas big bores and being done with it. I don't think I ever seen any Traxxas alum. bodied shocks leak. Had some big bores on a Rustler and they were nice. My Revo shocks kick butt too, but are not long enough. I'm going to be putting these shocks on my Hustler Clod.

Are my leaking issues because I am placing the shocks upside down? I have to install them with the body down by the link because the caps lack the ball end to swivel at the top of the tube frame. The plastic mounts on the lower 4 link mounts lend themselves to the shock cap because the mounts can swivel instead.

What do guy run? What do you do when you need a longer shock? Integy makes all kinds of different lengths, but so far it looks like they leak a lot more then other brands. I'd love to run Traxxas big bores on everything, but sometimes the length just isn't right. What other options do I have?
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
RCC Addict

go with big bores
look aroung for the shock cap mod to put a rod end on if you want a ball on both ends
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on the shocks. Shocks needs to be rebuilt from time to time, some more than others, the stock AX10 shocks (kit) like to be rebuilt daily.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Big Bores can still leak though not as much, I ordered some of the Yeah Racing shocks, i havent seen any leaking issues reported on them.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Losi shocks are pretty amazing. I have yet to see any with issues, plus you get ti nitrate shafts, anod body and easy rebuilds, your looking at about the same price for these of anything else. Plus the adjustability is great.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Losi shocks do leak though it is more proper to call it seep...more than Traxxas.

Remember Losi's aren't built for bashers, they are actually racing shocks. So they build them and spec o-rings that are a good seal while offering the best performance for racing. Now they shouldn't be leaking the entire amount of oil in a day or 2, but overtime you will need to refill...this is common to all racing shocks be it on a crawler or racing truck/buggy.

Traxxas built theirs not to leak for n00b bashers who probably will never rebuild a shock...meaning the o-ring is tight on the shafts. It has its downfall when racing but in crawling and bashing it is fine. They do still seep some...its just the nature of this type of small shock system.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've had axials that leak and losis that leak. Both will leak less if you put some teflon tape around the threads. But I also have a set of shocks that came w/ the berg kit that have yet to leak. I mount them upside down as well and they still haven't leaked a drop. Maybe I got lucky, but I like them.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. I purchased some Traxxas big bores today, and some rebuilt kits for my Ofna shocks. I had big bores before and I liked them. I also like the Ofna Hyper 9.5 Pro shocks. They are very nice, but they leaked like pigs, from the shock caps on my super - maybe because they didn't like being mounted upside down. I'll have to consider modifying the shock cap for a rod end with a ball. I need swivel on there.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

usualy it could be just tears in the orings
try replacing them once you notice leaks
eclipse9 is offline   Reply With Quote